Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 02:02 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr11 View Post
So, is there a way for me to look specifically at my paternal genetic makeup? I am female-- I would assume I would need to have either my brother or father submit their DNA, correct?
Again, the y-DNA test (and yes, your father or brother would have to take it), only provides results on the directly paternal line. Only your father, your father's father, your father's father's father, etc. If that is the line you're looking for more info on, then yes, the y-DNA test might help. Keep in mind it does tend to be more focused on deep ancestry though. The y-DNA test is available from FamilyTreeDNA.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I think your math is wrong and 15% sounds right. If your father was white and your mother was black that would be 50%, if only one of your grandparents was white it would be 25%, since yours is great and great great than 15% sounds correct.
The original post was from two years ago but you're right, of course. We inherit roughly 12.5% from a great grandparent and 6.25% from a 2nd great grandparent. That's only 18.75% - on paper. In reality, it could be more or less than that so 15% sounds about right.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:17 PM

172 posts, read 185,641 times
Default Looks are not everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ2 View Post
If you look like a white, you are white. You don't need a DNA test.
Really? That doesn't sound like American history. Please recheck your facts.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:22 PM

Default DNA test results

Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
Okay so I did a DNA testing with Family Tree DNA, Im just wondering if it was accurate because its really hard to trace down African DNA to where I came from because of the slave trade.
Anyways I received my results

African: 84.74% Yoruba

European: 15.26% in total but within that 15% it said that Im Finnish, French, Orcadian, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, and Tuscan (which I guess its the region in Italy).

The reason why I did this is because my grandmother on my paternal side because she said that we have Native American, I didnt believe it so thats why I tried it out. And I was right so Im going to have to tell her that she was wrong! lol
However the fact that on my dads side looks so diverse, my dad is African American but his hair texture is really curly and soft just like my grandmothers hair, and it was really weird when we lived in Texas because people kept on asking if my dad was mixed with Latino and Im no hes African American. But whats making me kind of wary about the my results is because my great grandfather was white on my grandmothers paternal side, and that my great great mother (on my grandmother MATERNAL) side was European too.
So I thought that I would have a little bit more European ancestry like in the 25%-35% range and the rest would be of African descent.

I kind of want to get another test done to compare if its the same then thats cool! : )
If it turns out to be wrong then I need to go to see a local Genealogist and do documentation and DNA testing as well. because all of this finding my roots in really interesting.

I also tried to do DNA testing to see what percentage whatever that was on my mom side because her father died when she was little and my grandmother (on my moms side) her mother died after she was born so my grandmother didnt know her mother. I never knew anything about my Great grandfather on my mom side as well.
A lot of African-Americans believe that they have Native American ancestry. This is not the case. The variations in hair texture and color is due to European ancestry. It is a shock to them when they do a DNA test and find out that there is no Native American ancestry. Professor Gates discussed this very topic in The ROOT. His family was very angry when he revealed to the world that his family did not have Indian ancestry. You should read the article. It is available online and very interesting.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:32 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow1990 View Post
A lot of African-Americans believe that they have Native American ancestry. This is not the case. The variations in hair texture and color is due to European ancestry. It is a shock to them when they do a DNA test and find out that there is no Native American ancestry. Professor Gates discussed this very topic in The ROOT. His family was very angry when he revealed to the world that his family did not have Indian ancestry. You should read the article. It is available online and very interesting.
It's old hatred for the white man that creates those myths that many black people have native american blood. I've heard blacks say that their "good" hair is from native americans, and some might be, but some might be from white and some black people have good hair naturally. I saw a mother and daughter in line in front of my and the mother had a Jamaican accent and they had very full heads of hair.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:20 PM

Default Rebuttal on DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
It's old hatred for the white man that creates those myths that many black people have native american blood. I've heard blacks say that their "good" hair is from native americans, and some might be, but some might be from white and some black people have good hair naturally. I saw a mother and daughter in line in front of my and the mother had a Jamaican accent and they had very full heads of hair.
I do not agree with your statement about whites creating myths about Native American ancestry in African Americans. This one is on blacks. The myth comes from the fact that some blacks were slaves to the Cherokee and lived in close proximity. Over the decades the myth grew to fantasy. Now if you ask an African American if they have native ancestry and they say YES, it is always Cherokee. As far as the "good hair" is concerned it most likely is from European ancestry. Exception being of course blacks from South America and the Caribbean.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I do not agree with your statement about whites creating myths about Native American ancestry in African Americans. This one is on blacks. The myth comes from the fact that some blacks were slaves to the Cherokee and lived in close proximity. Over the decades the myth grew to fantasy. Now if you ask an African American if they have native ancestry and they say YES, it is always Cherokee. As far as the "good hair" is concerned it most likely is from European ancestry. Exception being of course blacks from South America and the Caribbean.
I think you misunderstood so954 - I think they were saying that some blacks created this Native American myth because they didn't want to admit that their "whiter" features came from a European ancestry. so954 was not saying that whites created the myth.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:46 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,383 times
Quote:
Agreed, was an excellent article, here is the link

The Root - High Cheekbones and Straight Black Hair?

Btw I love the "History" section of The Root website (like the whole site, but from a genealogical perspective the History section can be really useful and interesting)... Especially the articles from Gates, here is a list to all of his articles there:

Author - The Root

Old 11-14-2015, 05:32 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
Quote:

its alway cherokee and its always on the woman side, you will never find a cherokee male fathering any race.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:58 PM

84 posts, read 145,844 times
Ancestry.com and FamilyTreeDNA are accurate, they've confirmed my verbal lineage and so I accept that which they've showed me which is outside my verbal lineage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy