Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 08:16 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

This is about my Great Grandmother who was German but born in Missouri. I can make out somethings but others are not so clear. The 1883 date is her birth the 1893 I don't know (possibly baptism?). It lists her father (Bachmann) and mother (Vogt). I found it interesting that they were able to still get German language documents in Missouri at this time. Also, what is with the Hebrew writing and the Jewish Star?

Any Clues or translation?
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone Read German - Unknown Document?-elizabeth-bachmanns-unknown-document-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
German and other non-English documents were common in the US until the early 1900s. Most of the printed items are bible verses that you can look up.
As for the handwriting, it's difficult to make out because it is handwritten and because the picture is small.

It is definitely a Christian document. As for why the symbols and lettering: you are aware of Christianity's historical ties with Jewish culture, no?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:10 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Default Baptismal certificate

The German "im Namen des Dreieinigen Gottes getauft worden", in English is "baptized in the name of the Holy Trinity/the Triune God".

"welches hierdurch bescheinigt wird" means "which is certified hereby".

Elizabeth ... born on October ... is on 13 August 1893 in ... ? ? Herrman Nische in Branchville, Mo. baptized in the name of the Holy Trinity.

http://boards.ancestry.com/localitie.../31357/mb.ashx

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 01-13-2013 at 11:24 AM..

Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
I'm guessing this is a Lutheran baptismal certificate?

Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm guessing this is a Lutheran baptismal certificate?
It wuld seem so--- but doesn't say so :+) Would have to compare & contrast with others to be sure. What a lot of interesting symbolism in the illustrations !

> Definitely a Lutheran Missouri Synod baptismal certificate. The minister J[ohn]W[illiam] Lehr was of that denomination with many articles mentioning him online.

Also -- Concordia Publishing - which catered to this denomination.

Last edited by nj185; 01-13-2013 at 01:13 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 12:15 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Thanks guys for all your input off to the links you guys posted. Yeah I thought all the symbolism was interesting as well.

Thanks Again!

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 01-14-2013 at 12:31 AM..

Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
My g-grandmother has her certificate written out as:

Name,
the daughter of father and mother, born name (what we term "nee")
born on date.
Baptized on date, witnesses names (godparents)
certified by Pastor

She was German Evangelical.

I have found many Germans were not baptized as babies; it really confused me - looked like it was a certificate issued and possibly changed. I looked it up; it wasn't. You have the same: baptism was evidently at about 10 years old.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
My g-grandmother has her certificate written out as:

Name,
the daughter of father and mother, born name (what we term "nee")
born on date.
Baptized on date, witnesses names (godparents)
certified by Pastor

She was German Evangelical.

I have found many Germans were not baptized as babies; it really confused me - looked like it was a certificate issued and possibly changed. I looked it up; it wasn't. You have the same: baptism was evidently at about 10 years old.
Yeah, I thought that was wierd too. So the guy on the line below the 1883 date is a godparent or witness? What do you make of his last name? I get Nisch - is that right - '...Hermann Nisch in Brandsville Mo.'

EDIT: Just found this note online:

Brandsville: A small town in Howell Township, laid out in 1883 by the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad and named for Michael Brand who owned 17,000 acres of land in Howell County, and gave the town site. Mr. Herman Wisch came with Mr. Branch (evidently Brand is meant), and they put in a store and many acres of apple, peach and grape orchards, and started a large sheep ranch. During the construction of the rail road, the place was known as Flag Pond because the large marsh plants grew in such abundance and the place was a shallow pond. (--Place Names.)

It is located at Sections 13, 14, 23, & 24, Township 23 N, Range 7 W, on Highways 63 & VV.H

Her father planted peaches on his land as well as other things - interesting.

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 01-18-2013 at 11:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy