Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 05:13 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times

Advertisements

To say that "foreigners" won't find it useful is like saying someone from Europe wouldn't find the U. S. National Archives useful. The language is just something to figure out, as are the way records are kept in Norway as opposed to the U.S., and understanding the Norwegian naming patters. But believe me, if your family is in Norway, there's a wealth of information there. Using them, I was able to take some of the line I was researching back 11 generations in Norway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 04:30 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I, too am at a dead end with Norway. I was surprised to find out that a Smith relative was born in Norway, when I always thought he was English. I've had people tell me that there are Smiths in Norway, and just a few weeks ago I had a young man at my desk from Norway who said he had never heard of one. What to do?
One random person from Norway is not exactly the defining representative of the nation. Especially being young, he may be less experienced and knowledgeable.

There are Smiths in Norway - there's 270 Smith results when I search the 1801 Norway Census and 561 on the 1865 census.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt
I search my last name (under 150 with that name in Norway). The results were rather limited. I got some information about the my parents' farm, though. For foreigners I doubt Digitalarkivet will be that useful.
This foreigner has found literally dozens of records from them. Perhaps you're just not looking in the right places? It is not an easy site to navigate or search if you don't know what exactly you're looking for or how to find it. Many of the parish records ( Digitalarkivet - Skannede kirkebøker ) are not indexed and require manually flipping through images of the records, you can not always just plug a name into a search field and have everything pop up for you like you can with some of the census records on there. Some other records can be found in the "Digital Inn": WebMeta - which are records indexed by volunteers, I think. You have to go through each one and see what regions and types of records they have indexed to see if they are relevant to your searches.

If all you've done is put your last name into a search field, you are not using the site to it's full capability and there might actually be much more for you to find.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:25 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I, too am at a dead end with Norway. I was surprised to find out that a Smith relative was born in Norway, when I always thought he was English. I've had people tell me that there are Smiths in Norway, and just a few weeks ago I had a young man at my desk from Norway who said he had never heard of one. What to do?
Did he ever use the name Smith in Norway, or was that just used in the USA? There are/were Smiths in Norway, but many Norwegians adopted the name in the USA as well (the Norwegian word for smith is the related "smed").

Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I search my last name (under 150 with that name in Norway). The results were rather limited. I got some information about the my parents' farm, though. For foreigners I doubt Digitalarkivet will be that useful.
It's pretty useful, particularly since the parish registers have been added - you can fill in quite a few of the blanks from between censuses. The toughest part about the parish registers isn't the language, it's the writing. Learning less than 50 Norwegian words and having a Norwegian/English (or Danish/English) dictionary will get any American a good 80% of the way to figuring out things from the parish registers.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:30 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
Perhaps they've improved the site (as far as translations go), but back when I was doing the Norwegian research, I found the language on the site itself the biggest hindrance. I think only the first screen had an English version. The language in the records was not as hard to deal with, but just in using the website. It was intimidating to me back then.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:57 AM

There is more stuff that is translated than was before, especially since the site was redesigned.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:30 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,807,826 times
ancestry.com has some Norwegian info, but you have to buy the pricey membership.

Here are a couple of other places to check:
Norwegian genealogy sources
Norwegian-American Genealogy Center and Naeseth Library Research Collection

Try some of forums. I gotten good responses, at least on American ancestors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy