Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 12:32 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,380,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
As a hobby for the past many years, my archeologist friend and I have been locating and documenting as official archeology sites, pioneer "lost" and abandoned cemeteries and graves, and home sites, in AR. I can tell you lots of sad stories but would like to tell a "glad" story for a change. I heard of a group of Class of 1969 [I think] high school friends who, as a hobby, go out and clean up and maintain country cemeteries; some in use and some abandoned. I contacted them and asked them to add to their list some we had found. They were happy to agree and at last count they had six on their list that they work on each spring. They even re-set fallen tombstones and plant flowers. A few weeks ago I called them and asked them to add another (abandoned) to their list and they were again, happy to do so. So here's to the unrecognized GOOD GUYS!
I would like to add that we have found three single graves out in the middle of no-where and one three grave "family plot" out there. The people in the plot and one of the single graves are unknown. This one single grave is the only one that was truly "lost". All the others we had gotten leads on. We were looking for something else and I accidentally stepped into the grave depression which was hidden by leaf litter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 01:31 PM

8 posts, read 14,840 times
so sorry to be getting in on this thread at such a late date, but I just found it today. My interest lies in old homesites. I found a place in Eastern Arkansas that had a house and what appeared to be a family cemetary on the property. I know there are a lot of abandoned homesite in Arkansas and I would like to find more, take pictures, maybe do some history hunting. I would love to hear more stories about finding old cemetaries and homesites in Arkansas. Anyone with such a story can reply to this.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:52 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,108 times
In Rochester, NH they have been widening Route 16. The project began a couple years ago. At Exit 15 they were excavating the old road when they came across a Civil War graveyard containing a few veterans. No one had discovered this prior to the new road work. They exhumed the bodies and transferred them to a military cemetary. In those days, soldiers would sew their names to the back of their shirts before a big battle in case they were killed since metal dog tags were non-existent. After the war the military began issuing dog tags because of this practice.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Alot depoends on how the cemetery is set up and state laws. my family plot is in a cemetary which is prepetaul care and eve has eminet domai rights to expand. once it is close it goes over to a trust maintained by fees on plots and sercies sicne the late 1800's. The owners will lose control then and its maintained by the trust. Until then the trust keeps increasing.In Teas damagig a grave is a seprate charge and pretty serious especailly in the restitution part.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:40 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
In Rochester, NH they have been widening Route 16. The project began a couple years ago. At Exit 15 they were excavating the old road when they came across a Civil War graveyard containing a few veterans. No one had discovered this prior to the new road work. They exhumed the bodies and transferred them to a military cemetary. In those days, soldiers would sew their names to the back of their shirts before a big battle in case they were killed since metal dog tags were non-existent. After the war the military began issuing dog tags because of this practice.
Would seem those labels would be too decayed by now?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:11 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Would seem those labels would be too decayed by now?
That was just an aside note. The grave markers were used in this case. Most of the sewn names were in the southern battlefields where they dug mass graves to prevent disease and hoped the dead would get sorted out after the war was over.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,670 times
I had a Grandmother that had a last wish that she would not be buried in a family plot in a cemetery prone to flooding (so she and Grandpa are in another at the top of a hill). Do I also have it correct that countries like Germany only allow a headstone to stand for about 50 years? Of course quite a bit was destroyed in WWII too.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
I grew up in a town of 4,999 people in the Forties and Fifties. (It took two or more censuses before we reached 5,000, as I recall.) And in those days kids just roamed through the surrounding woods and fields all day long, which is how I came across many abandoned country cemeteries and family burying grounds. These were all in desolate shape.

I was happy to learn that half a century later a go-getter head of the local historical society organized a group of like-minded citizens to fix up these abandoned burying grounds, and to do an annual maintenance of each one. I think that is one great accomplishment.

The family cemetery of my mother's mother's family in Canada, dating back to the founding of Ontario by Loyalists, now lies under a house.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:54 AM

664 posts, read 2,093,865 times
It is amazing what money can do isn't it? However, I bet that in most cases the land that the cemetery is on is no longer owned by the family... or at least I would hope that is the case.

Growing up there was a cemetery not far from my house at the edge of the neighborhood. The caskets had obviously collapsed and a couple of the head stones were busted and/or knocked over. At one point I had written down the info to try and research it, but at that time the home computer was still "new" and I was not able to contact the local historical society. Eventually they moved the graves and built a high dollar neighborhood there.

Currently a branch of my family that helped Pioneer Texas is buried in a family Cemetery that is still on family owned land. Luckily this family members understands that this is important to many family members so I hope and trust that they won't sell out for a bit of cash.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:27 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
That was just an aside note. The grave markers were used in this case. Most of the sewn names were in the southern battlefields where they dug mass graves to prevent disease and hoped the dead would get sorted out after the war was over.
Thought you might have meant it that way.

Very sad that so many people died unnecessarily and far from home where due respect would be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I grew up in a town of 4,999 people in the Forties and Fifties. (It took two or more censuses before we reached 5,000, as I recall.) And in those days kids just roamed through the surrounding woods and fields all day long, which is how I came across many abandoned country cemeteries and family burying grounds. These were all in desolate shape.

I was happy to learn that half a century later a go-getter head of the local historical society organized a group of like-minded citizens to fix up these abandoned burying grounds, and to do an annual maintenance of each one. I think that is one great accomplishment.

The family cemetery of my mother's mother's family in Canada, dating back to the founding of Ontario by Loyalists, now lies under a house.
I like to hear of cemetery maintenance, too.

In doing research years ago I discovered some ancestors had been moved to make way for an apartment building. Like there's not enough land in North America that they couldn't put the building elsewhere? I don't like that kind of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy