Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:00 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,186,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
You might try old newspaper obituaries from newspapers of that era. These should be available through the libraries and/or historical societies.
Thanks, but I'm not local - may ask someone else to look, nothing on line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Try this website it's a little funky but you can search old newspapers from all over NYS. www.fultonhistory/Fulton.html (http://www.fultonhistory/Fulton.html - broken link)

You might also try the church that her family belonged to.
I've been on that site, found lots of other things, but nothing under the name. Actually found an ad my Grandmother must have posted to sell a piano from 1948, and lots of articles of my Uncle who was a boxer. Great site!

No church, Jewish, which I guess makes it harder.

Thanks though!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,272,325 times
You could try contacting the neighborhood shul to find out if there is anyone born before then still living who may know the family history.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:11 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post

My Mom called the vital records dept and they told her they could not release any records no matter what. She called one of the cemetaries she thought where she would be buried (MT. HOPE) who said they had no one listed by her name but that one section of the cemetary, the records were stolen. They said they would try to walk the area that it may be, but so far, no return call.
Monroe County does provide death certificates which are older than 50 years for the purpose of genealogy. See this handout - -
http://www.monroecounty.gov/File/Hea...cesOct2009.pdf

here is the state app ---

http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_...s/doh-4384.pdf

Definitely try again --

The link in the document above does not work -- here is the working link
Vital Records

Old 01-07-2011, 07:14 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Monroe County does provide death certificates which are older than 50 years for the purpose of genealogy. See this handout - -
http://www.monroecounty.gov/File/Hea...cesOct2009.pdf

Definitely try again --

The link in the document above does not work -- here is the working link
Vital Records
OP just needs to make sure the certificate will include cause of death --- genealogy certificates may just include demographic data.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:36 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,999 times
I rcvd - though it was NYC - a copy "for genealogical purposes" which was not redacted in any way - had all info -- parents, cause of death, length of illness, Dr, hospital, funeral home, nearest relative etc from 1937. Only difference is that it was not "certified" - which was OK by me -

I did not know the exact year of death -- tombstone was off -- nor even what borough it was [not at home].

I have never requested one outside of NYC in NY, so cannot guarantee all counties are the same, but have in other states & results were full copies.

Hope it helps.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Quote:
Couldn't figure out if this would be appropriate in this forum, didn't seem to fall under the PEOPLE SEARCH forum.
My Mom had a sister that passed away before she was born. She was born between my uncle and my Mom. My Grandparents would not speak about her at all. My Grandparents have long since died, so has my Uncle and most other older family members that may have some info. My Mom is in her 70's and would just like to find out what she passed away from.

We don't know anything more than her first name and a range of years she could have been born during -mid 1930's +/- 3yrs. They lived in Monroe County, in Rochester, NY. The only thing my Mom remembers is that someone said one day she was there, and the next day she wasn't.

My Mom called the vital records dept and they told her they could not release any records no matter what. She called one of the cemetaries she thought where she would be buried (MT. HOPE) who said they had no one listed by her name but that one section of the cemetary, the records were stolen. They said they would try to walk the area that it may be, but so far, no return call.

Does anyone know of any other way we could possibly find this information out. Being it's about 75 years since she passed, I can't understand why they won't release any records

Would the local library have information if I could find someone to go and research it there?

Thanks for any insight.
Go to http://www.familysearch.org/

Browse by location: click on "USA, Canada, and Mexico". Then look for NY. Take it from there.

I do not believe you need a membership to access familysearch.org. That website has been very helpful to me.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,818,391 times
Quote:
Couldn't figure out if this would be appropriate in this forum, didn't seem to fall under the PEOPLE SEARCH forum.
My Mom had a sister that passed away before she was born. She was born between my uncle and my Mom. My Grandparents would not speak about her at all. My Grandparents have long since died, so has my Uncle and most other older family members that may have some info. My Mom is in her 70's and would just like to find out what she passed away from.

We don't know anything more than her first name and a range of years she could have been born during -mid 1930's +/- 3yrs. They lived in Monroe County, in Rochester, NY. The only thing my Mom remembers is that someone said one day she was there, and the next day she wasn't.

Does anyone know of any other way we could possibly find this information out. Being it's about 75 years since she passed, I can't understand why they won't release any records

Would the local library have information if I could find someone to go and research it there?

Thanks for any insight.
Have you tried the listings of the medical examiner's office? If the death was unusual, there may have been an exam.

Try googling "random acts of genalogical kindness"; maybe you can find someone willing to search the cemetery.

Try the county or city historian. they know where the records are kept.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:34 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,487,096 times
Have you searched through Find-A-Grave to see if the burial has been transcribed?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:04 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
Good question.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:47 AM

3 posts, read 4,048 times
There is a great web site that I have found for free newspaper articles for New York state. It is being constantly updated. It is The_post_card I have found information on quite a few of my ancestors etc. on there. You can also check Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records They may have her listed but they appear to me missing quite a few records (I just posted about 40ty of my relatives on there). It would help if you could find out the exact date of death before you requested records through New York State vital records. There is a timeframe (I believe it is 70-75 years) that a person has to be deceased for in order for anyone to get the records. They charge app $22.00 for a "3 year search" and the price increases. This includes a year before and a year after the date that you give them to check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy