Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 12:44 AM

460 posts, read 3,548,699 times

Advertisements

We're going to be putting up 5 sections (40 ft) of a 6 x 8 ft wooden fence we bought at Lowes and need some tips. First off there's already a standard 4 or 4-1/2 ft high chain link fence separating us and our neighbors so wondering how far or close to that fence is desirable? Can it be touching or is it better not to do anything that might put stress on that fence? How deep do we dig for the posts and is cement a necessity and if so is 8-12" of cement enough and is covering over that with dirt ok assuming we'll be putting posts 2 ft in -or- is 2 ft of cement requried? How much cement should we buy for 6 posts? What's the best way to secure fence to post (I'm assuming screws) and how many should be used and what type? We're probably going to rent a motorized ?auger? for getting quick post holes if a rental is reasonbly priced and are there any tips for getting fence even like using a level or just go by sight?

Any tips for 1st timers is much appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 02:18 PM

433 posts, read 1,143,957 times
You should put your hard fence far enough from the chain link so that you can clean between the two with a trimmer or mower. The chain link is probably on the property line. Many communities have regulations about where to put a hard fence and you should check on that. Otherwise your neighbor will have the same problem I have. There is not enough room to clean between the fence but it is visible from my side not my neighbors and it looks hideous. It is her yard between the fences but if I could I would clean it up.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:03 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,872,981 times
pull a stringline before you start diggin' any post holes and mark the auger at how deep you want the holes to be.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:35 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,731,276 times
How deep you place the posts depends on where you are. Here we go at least 3 feet and If I can I go 4. We get hard freezes every year and if the base of the concrete isn't down below the frost line the posts will heave up out of the ground.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:09 AM

Thanks for the tips guys and keep them coming. Fence is leaning up in place now and based on the weather here we're going to get it installed properly by wednesday or end of thursday while it's still nice and warm out with no rain

Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,155,340 times
12" of cement is definitely not enough. 2' should do it in warmer locales. Lowes will have special concrete mix that you basically pour into the hole and then pour water on top of it (no need to mix it manually in a separate container). Very convenient. But it's more expensive than standard concrete: $5 per bag, and it takes at least one bag per post, more if you go deeper than 2'.

Motorized auger is good, but you can also get a nice manual post hole auger for $50 off Amazon.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:51 PM

A manager at Lowes told me a bag of cement per post and I thought he was completely nuts Thanks for that info because didn't know about that stuff and should make the job easier

Old 04-06-2010, 07:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,965,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Thanks for the tips guys and keep them coming. Fence is leaning up in place now and based on the weather here we're going to get it installed properly by wednesday or end of thursday while it's still nice and warm out with no rain
Install the Best Garden Fences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden