Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 02:58 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,770,411 times

Advertisements

HILLSBORO, Ore., Nov. 4 (UPI) -- Organizers of a medical marijuana "university" in Oregon said the program has helped dozens of people learn how to grow cannabis and use it to manage illness.

The Oregon Medical Cannabis University, which opened last month in Hillsboro, offers classes and contains community centers where students can access the drug, KPTV, Portland, Ore., reported Wednesday.

Medical marijuana school teaches growing - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 05:07 AM

2,784 posts, read 8,042,977 times
If it has a future as a legal commodity then there will have to be professionals that "do it right". I think this can be a rewarding, lucrative agricultural business that patients, horticulturalists, and government agencies(except the DEA) will benefit from. After all these years of it being around(100,000?) and being contraband(75?) it is still a major crop in the U.S. despite all law enforcement methods. And you know what? Marijuana is more manageable than alcohol.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:15 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,207,284 times
There is someone in Oakland, CA, that has been offering cannabis cultivation classes there for quite awhile, since medical marijuana has been legal here in CA for some time. I heard a segment about it on NPR last year, and the science behind it is pretty amazing. There are just as many types and varieties as there are of many other agricultural crops, and cultivation techniques are very advanced. It's not like growing tomatoes.

I agree with you, tcrackly. There is so much crime associated with this drug that could be eliminated overnight by legalizing and regulating it (not to mention the taxes that could be collected). I personally don't care for the effects of alcohol (headaches, nausea, hangovers) and wish adults had another choice of legal weekend recreational drug. Every year college kids die or are hospitalized from alcohol poisoning - I live in a college town and three years ago a student died doing 21 shots on his 21st birthday. Yet there is no LD50 (lethal dose to half an experimental population) for pot. The main dangers from it are driving under the influence (same as alcohol and many prescription drugs that are already out there) and lung damage from smoking TOO much (but we allow people to smoke nicotine, which is a known carcinogen and used to be used as a pesticide until it was removed for that use from the market).

No, I don't smoke pot and I'm not advocating it's legalization because I'm dying to run out and buy some. I just think that there is no evidence it's nearly as harmful to people as alcohol. (Perhaps having an alcoholic parent who died from alcoholism-related illness has something to do with my opinion.)

Old 11-05-2009, 03:49 PM

2,784 posts, read 8,042,977 times
Same here. I don't smoke anything,never did. But in my experience alcohol does more damage to families and individuals than marijuana ever did, and I've seen my share of pot smokers.
I've heard that one of the obstacles to legalization is that law enforcement hasn't perfected an instant intoxication screening device like a breathalyzer.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:56 PM

43 posts, read 74,457 times
Why do they have to teach how to grow Pot? Its a weed you plant the seed and it grows???

Old 11-06-2009, 08:02 AM

282 posts, read 823,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUin2012 View Post
Why do they have to teach how to grow Pot? Its a weed you plant the seed and it grows???
Cultivating the plant can give higher amounts of THC producing a better high. Plus I thought hemp was the variation that grows like a weed, of course we've taught growing that as well.

YouTube - Hemp For Victory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden