Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 01:40 PM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,161,651 times

Advertisements

Can you suggest a good lawnmower for (you guessed it) inexpensive?
I have been looking and have found them to be $1800-$3400, is that about right?
Which brand do you prefer?
I have about 2 acres that will need mowing, parts that have trees pretty close together.
Coming from the city to a rural area, I can imagine our lawn equiptment is not going to cut it!
Appreciate all info you give!
Thanks in advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 02:29 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,246,162 times
I have a Snapper rider that is almost 30 years old. It does a great job, is small enough to go between most trees I have had to mow around, and runs perfectly. No clue where these things fall as far as pricing, but I would recommend them to anyone.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:48 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,133,047 times
oooo i am so jealous
I want a riding mower but we don't have a large enough yard to justify one.
hey can I come visit and use yours

karla
p.s. hey I wonder if they let you test drive them, I may have to go "looking" lol

Old 04-29-2007, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
oooo i am so jealous
I want a riding mower but we don't have a large enough yard to justify one.
hey can I come visit and use yours

karla
p.s. hey I wonder if they let you test drive them, I may have to go "looking" lol
Thanks girls,
I really have no clues as far as these things.
If you come visit mine, I'll let you test drive the mower !
They got some real fancy ones out, comes with a real fancy price too!

Old 04-29-2007, 07:05 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,691,686 times
Do you plan on doing anything with it besides mowing? Pulling a trailer? Tilling? Anything else? If not, then go with a zero turn. Lots of different brands to choose from.

Murray, MTD, Yardman, Cub Cadet, possibly Wheelhorse, and a mess of others are all the same company. I've been told that the Cub Cadets are built in a different factory in Ohio, but I'm still not happy with the direction their quality went.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Do you plan on doing anything with it besides mowing? Pulling a trailer? Tilling? Anything else? If not, then go with a zero turn. Lots of different brands to choose from.

Murray, MTD, Yardman, Cub Cadet, possibly Wheelhorse, and a mess of others are all the same company. I've been told that the Cub Cadets are built in a different factory in Ohio, but I'm still not happy with the direction their quality went.
I have been wondering about the Cub Cadets. Is there a comparison to the John Deer? So far the John Deer and the Cub Cadets have been all I've seen in the stores.
Probably just mowing. I need to find a "ma and Pa" kind of store to do a better comparison, rather than the big box stores.
Would you buy one online?

Old 04-30-2007, 05:32 AM

90 posts, read 385,289 times
Not sure if your aware or not but if you go somewhere besides Lowes or Home depot that John Deere will not be the same mower. Those are manufactured exclusively for them. There are numerous differences between the big box mowers and the ones you will find at a John Deere "dealer" including a substantial price difference. Not that these mowers are not worth buying, just letting you know if you are trying to find somewhere to do a side by side comparison. Hope this helps.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Not sure if your aware or not but if you go somewhere besides Lowes or Home depot that John Deere will not be the same mower. Those are manufactured exclusively for them. There are numerous differences between the big box mowers and the ones you will find at a John Deere "dealer" including a substantial price difference. Not that these mowers are not worth buying, just letting you know if you are trying to find somewhere to do a side by side comparison. Hope this helps.
Would you think the samller stores are not "as good " quality as the big box stores? Will the differences be obvious?
I appreciate all info you can give me. I really don't have a clue about riding lawnmowers. I never even put much thought to the push ones when buying, as we had so little yard to cut.
What would be your preference, and how much would you be willing to spend?

Old 04-30-2007, 06:58 AM

After having spent several thousand dollars on a Cub Cadet in 1994, I think I would now just buy a cheap $900-$1200 Yard Man, Murray, or whatever sticker they slap on it kind of tractor. Even if you have to replace it every 5 or ten years.

The Kohler engine on my Cub has run problem free forever. No complaints there. The chassis and mower deck are cheap junk. I have done much welding on them. The day it was delivered I mowed 50 feet. The bolt holding the electric clutch to the engine dropped out onto the ground. The dealer said, "Yeah sometimes they forget to torque them at the factory".

The spindles that hold the blades on are not parallel with each other. No matter how much I adjust the deck, it will never cut the grass evenly. It took 2 seasons to figure out what was wrong there. Yeah, I'll buy a cheap one next time.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:03 AM

I don't think I'd buy anything that big online. I like to sit on it, feel the seat, move the controls, make the noises. You get the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden