Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,640 times

Advertisements

I mailed order a few "Iceberg" own rooted rose. When I received them, I found there are two/three cutting in one pot - it should be planted as one plant. It puzzles me, what will those roses grow to be - smaller, but bushier? Or, doubt the size?
It bothers me, because I bought those to match my other "Iceberg" roses. Anyone has idea what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:58 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,864,925 times
Plant it and hope for the best!

Old 05-26-2009, 02:16 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,039,229 times
David8866,

From your description, it sounds like the taken cuttings were planted in what can be called a "community" pot..in simple terms, the grower placed 2 or 3 cuttings in one pot to assure that at least one of the cuttings would take during the rooting process..

This growing technique is often used with seed-planted annuals, vegetables, Orchids, and palms, just to name a few..This is how several palm species (and sometimes other tree species, like White birch) which are normally solitary growing in nature are grown as double or triple specimens..

Orchid-wise, the seedlings of many species often require a community pot start..not to mention that the seedlings themselves are tiny to begin with..I saw this clearly demonstrated while visiting a nursery specializing in orchids a couple years ago..pretty neat..anyhow

With Annual and vegetable plants, its a matter of which seedling plants will successfully develop..vrs the others in the same hole..

Ive also seen this in some of the Flower carpet and iceberg roses we receive at the nursery i currently work at..They tend to develop more densely but im not sure about overall size..

Provided that they all look healthy, you can attempt to divide them up into separate specimens..and keep them potted until each plant recovers from the initial separation process..then plant them where you want them in your garden..

IMO, they'd probably benefit from being divided up..simply because each plant's root system is going to be competing for water and nutrients in the ground..and if one fails, it might pass on a disease to the otherwise healthier plant alot easier then if they were separated..

And while there are some plants which don't mind starting out..and remaining crowded, i doubt roses are one of them..

Old 05-26-2009, 10:57 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,772,962 times
I agree with the poster above. Sounds like a three-for-one mistake in your favor!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,640 times
Big surprise! First time I emailed the grower, they said it should be plant as one plant. That's the way they do it. Second time I emailed concerning how they will grow (competing with each other, overcrowded...). No, I have not heard from them since (almost 7 days now); it was holiday weekend, who knows they will ever reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden