Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 11:55 AM

58 posts, read 330,183 times

Advertisements

I planted a pink "Royal Highness" rose a month or so ago. It had two beautiful blooms and two buds when I planted it. One of the buds bloomed, the other just faded away. It has had only one bud since then, which faded and died before blooming.

In addition, I'm seeing lots of black spots and holes in leaves, and now the lower leaves are turning yellow. What can I do?

I planted according to the instructions, and added Bayer 2n1 rose care to the soil, following the directions exactly. We watered according to the directions, and have had quite a bit of rain since then. The rose gets lots of sun.

I am new to this and want very much to have beautiful roses in my back yard. Please give any advice you have.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 12:16 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,958,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah52 View Post
I planted a pink "Royal Highness" rose a month or so ago. It had two beautiful blooms and two buds when I planted it. One of the buds bloomed, the other just faded away. It has had only one bud since then, which faded and died before blooming.

In addition, I'm seeing lots of black spots and holes in leaves, and now the lower leaves are turning yellow. What can I do?

I planted according to the instructions, and added Bayer 2n1 rose care to the soil, following the directions exactly. We watered according to the directions, and have had quite a bit of rain since then. The rose gets lots of sun.

I am new to this and want very much to have beautiful roses in my back yard. Please give any advice you have.
If you have a garden center anywhere near you, take a photo and a sample of some of the leaves and ask them for their advice. They will be more familiar with local problems, the rain you've been having, etc. plus if you show them the leaves they can actually see the problem you're having. It's hard to give advice based on just a verbal description.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:26 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,400,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah52 View Post

Well, I'm going to assume it looks something like these photos below:

This is called Black spot and it's usually a nasty fungus that makes it's usual appearance during or just after wet weather or even humid conditions. Temperature usually is in the 70s. It can in worst cases defoliate an entire plant. Whenever I found this on the plants on the properties I supervised, I would quickly dipose of the infected leaves and either put them in a plastic bag and through them away or burn them. DO NOT put them in a compost pile. It will still contain viable spores for future infections.

You can then spray a fungicdal soap or watered down sulfer spray to kill any wandering spores around the plant. There are some other home remedies you can use. 1 teaspoon of baking soda to a quart of water and several drops of liquid soap to help it adhere to the plant and not drip totllay off when sprayed.
Another interesting remedy that is cool is making a manure tea. Manure, water, and make it in a jar like you would sun tea. Strain off the tea with a type of cheese cloth and spray. It also works with powdery mildew and rust. Also it acts as a folair feed through the leaves. Below is some pictures of rust and powery mildew if you ever encounter them. Now for the powdery mildew, I use to take whole milk and cut it 1 part milk and 4 parts water and then in a spray bottle soaks my roses. It acts as a preventative with regular use and will also kill small early stages of powdery mildew. Another side effect and benefit is that the leaves will turn glossy and shiny. Also a cool thing for house plants if you want those pretty green shiny leaves.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:47 PM

58 posts, read 330,183 times
Bluepacific, that's exactly what it looks like. I'll get right on it. Thank you.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:46 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,863,574 times
I have been using Immunox plus on my roses for years. It does a great job and you can buy it at Home Depot. I need to get mine sprayed soon.

You can use Miracle Grow for Roses as a good fertilizer too. Make sure your soil has good drainage. Cut off the dead roses to keep new ones coming on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden