Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 11:54 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times

Advertisements

I have two Southern Live Oaks. One is a super fast grower, but its growing oddly. Its curving back and not growing straight. I was told it might be trying to grow toward the sun, but it gets plenty of sun and its pulling northward, not southward. Pics show what I am talking about. The other Live Oak (same age) was the same size when I first planted 3 years ago, but its much smaller, but its growing straight as an arrow (in the lower photo). Also, this tree sheds its evergreen leaves first... the other as you can see still has last years leaves. Why is this tree leaning and should I tie it back? This one is also now getting its new spring leaves... also, when/should I prune it?

The straight one... much slower growing, but already well ahead of the other on getting its new leaves...

here is the above tree last fall....

and the upper Oak last fall...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 12:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Those are not trees, they're twigs, babies.

There is no way now to judge what shape trunk will develop from these twiglings. Leave them be for a few more years while they put down a good root system.

Southern live oaks really need no care. Stop worrying and give them some time to develop.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Those are not trees, they're twigs, babies.

There is no way now to judge what shape trunk will develop from these twiglings. Leave them be for a few more years while they put down a good root system.

Southern live oaks really need no care. Stop worrying and give them some time to develop.

Thanks for the insight.

I thought that even small trees were still trees?

That upper tree is much taller than it looks. Its about 10 or 11 ft. tall.

I just thought it was strange that one was very tall and "bowing" back and why the other was not.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:36 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
You could try staking the tree to force it into a more upright position.

But if you do stake it, do it right or you'll damage the tree bark. Not good.

I quickly googled 'tree staking' and this was the first entry. The pic is a good example of a proper method. You can look around some more.
Attached Thumbnails
"curving" Southern Live Oak?-deciduous_tree_staking.gif  

Old 04-14-2009, 11:36 PM

Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking of staking it and pulling it back the other way to see what happens. It easily pulls back. Its kindof on an embankment, so its going to be tricky. I normally use a soft string and pad it when I tie up a tree.... seems to work well. Thanks again.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 668 times
I have a similar concern with a Southern Live Oak that I planted in Homestead, FL. It was about 4 feet tall and a trunk of 3/4" diameter seedling when I planted it. Fast forward a year and it is now about 12 feet tall, lanky with just a couple of branches at the bottom and the trunk is no more than 1" in diameter. I have it secured to a wooden stake. If I did not, the tip of this seedling would touch the ground and it would look like a rainbow! I planted four and this one is the abnormally tall and lanky one. Planted in full sun with no trees around it.

I am now wondering if I should cut the top (tip) to stop it from growing even taller and allow its trunk diameter to thicken. It is getting harder to find tall stakes to keep it straight. soon I will be shipping for telephone poles to use as stakes for this tree!

Old 05-06-2019, 07:36 PM

12,987 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking of staking it and pulling it back the other way to see what happens. It easily pulls back. Its kindof on an embankment, so its going to be tricky. I normally use a soft string and pad it when I tie up a tree.... seems to work well. Thanks again.
Is northeast Tennessee the right climate for a live oak? I thought those were exclusively on or near the coast, and there because of weather among perhaps some other reasons (soil, salt air, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden