Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 PM

192 posts, read 864,795 times

Advertisements

I'm so very tempted to buy a solar-powered fountain (about 21" in diameter, 30" tall; it's made of Stonecast which is cement/fibreglas blend I think) that I saw in a catalog. The upper tier (there are 2) of the fountain has the solar panel plus a choice of two nozzles (bubble or mini-spray) for the water circulation. My sunniest area is too far from the house to run an extension cord for a conventional fountain, and because I'm looking for another house I don't want to spend money on having underground wiring installed here... so, solar power seems the sensible way to go.

But I'm wondering how well they actually DO work. Naturally I wouldn't expect much of anything on a cloudy day, but when it is sunny do they work properly? My main concern is to keep the water moving sufficiently to prevent mosquito eggs hatching.

"User opinions" on solar-powered fountains, please? Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 11:28 PM

20 posts, read 157,029 times
Well I would say from what I have seen of solar panel off grid systems like a friend of mine that it would work quite well.
main trick is to keep as much sunlight on it as possible, this may mean changing the angle of the solar panel every few weeks all year round.
Also add a drop of bleach to the water every week and no mosquito problem at all.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:42 AM

62 posts, read 458,819 times
I bought a solar-powered fountain online about a year ago and was not too happy with the results. I guess it was a lower-end fountain - I think I paid around $80 for it. Before I bought it, I contacted the company and they claimed it could get up to 8 hours of power after the sun went down. It did for the first couple of weeks, then it was downhill from there. Only an hour or two of juice in darkness, then abruptly, nothing at all, even while in direct sunlights (disclaimer: I live in the 'sub tropical' region of south texas, so plenty of sunshine). This all occured over a couple of weeks to a month. I remember now, it was from siliconsolar.com and was the 'night and day fountian.' All I expected was a little trickle, just some soothing abient noise - nothing exoctic like a stream projected high into the air. Anyway, it sort of died after the warranty period, and I didn't spend enough money to really pursue getting a refund, so I just sort of gave up. Now, it's collecting dust in me garage.

I'd be interested if anyone finds a better product. I too, would rather not have to run electic lines to my little garden....

Old 05-22-2009, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,005 times
The batteries might work less hours after long time use, but you also have to make sure that you get enough sun lighting to charge the batteries. I got my 3 watt solar water fountain system for about $85, and it worked pretty well. I will start automatically at preset time everyday, and it comes with LED lights (a bonus for me.) By the way, I got it from [url=http://www.esolarlighting.com/Solar-Fountains-s/4.htm]Solar Fountains[/url]

Old 05-22-2009, 07:15 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb5745 View Post
I bought a solar-powered fountain online about a year ago and was not too happy with the results. I guess it was a lower-end fountain - I think I paid around $80 for it. Before I bought it, I contacted the company and they claimed it could get up to 8 hours of power after the sun went down. It did for the first couple of weeks, then it was downhill from there. Only an hour or two of juice in darkness, then abruptly, nothing at all, even while in direct sunlights (disclaimer: I live in the 'sub tropical' region of south texas, so plenty of sunshine). This all occured over a couple of weeks to a month. I remember now, it was from siliconsolar.com and was the 'night and day fountian.' All I expected was a little trickle, just some soothing abient noise - nothing exoctic like a stream projected high into the air. Anyway, it sort of died after the warranty period, and I didn't spend enough money to really pursue getting a refund, so I just sort of gave up. Now, it's collecting dust in me garage.

I'd be interested if anyone finds a better product. I too, would rather not have to run electic lines to my little garden....
Possibly the fault is with the batteries. If the battery is dead, no amount of charge helps and it may need to be replaced.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I never found anyhting that was solar powered in charging battereis of much use. Too weak and the batteries are a pain.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:54 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,230 times
Solar powered stuff for the yard has always been very disappointing. I won't buy any of it anymore until the technology improves.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:01 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,942,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Solar powered stuff for the yard has always been very disappointing. I won't buy any of it anymore until the technology improves.
I tend to agree. I have high hopes for solar yard decorations, however. Someday they'll work the bugs out, and when they do I'm buying several strongs of solar white christmas lights for my pine trees.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:22 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
there are many different mfg of solar powered pumps
I would not make a generalization about ALL of them based on spotty anecdotal evidence
some people on other boards use solar pumps not just because the electric outlet is too far away but because they choose to avoid using mfg energy when solar is available...
the fact is that the more you pay and better quality for battery life is obtained, the chances are that you will have better experience...

Old 05-26-2009, 03:43 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,171,725 times
I've been wanting one for my patio since there isn't an electrical socket there. I was wondering if they worked properly.

I'm with normie....I can't wait for ALL outdoor lighting to go solar. It would be so much easier at Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden