Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:47 AM

144 posts, read 403,815 times

Advertisements

Last year me and my boyfriend planted a vegetable garden. Everything was great but we ended up having a big fire ant problem. By the end of summer they were so bad we could hardly pick any of the vegetables because there were so many ants. This year I really want to plant another garden due to the fact that its very economical. Since we have a big problem with ants, does anyone know of a product that would be OK to use that won't make my veggies poisonous? I plan on planting my garden around mid March and I have 2 cats if that's of any importance. Also, does anyone know how to control Bermuda grass? Our back yard has no shade and we had a big problem with that in our garden as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 12:18 PM

589 posts, read 1,559,661 times
I used to have fire ants problem in some parts of my yard, I sprayed the area with WD-40 and they evacuated. I sprayed lightly for a few days so as not to kill them but annoyed them enough to move out; however I'm not sure you want to use it on a vegetable garden though.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:47 PM

122 posts, read 573,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
I used to have fire ants problem in some parts of my yard, I sprayed the area with WD-40 and they evacuated. I sprayed lightly for a few days so as not to kill them but annoyed them enough to move out; however I'm not sure you want to use it on a vegetable garden though.
Fire ants in Canada?
Spraying WD-40 on the ground?

Old 01-31-2009, 01:18 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
I used the fire ant killer granuals (diazanol, I think?) and it worked fine. I don't think it poisoned my veggies. I mean, I ate my veggies and I'm still here! One thing I did do when I first planted the garden was to put down a border of diazanol around the perimeter of the garden. I had no problems with fire ants or other insects invading my garden until VERY late in the season when some fireants showed up around my cantaloupe.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:25 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,164 times
I have heard of a product called "Ant Eater" that is suppose to be very good.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
The only thing that works to control the imported south American fire ant is this stuff: Broadcast Baits for Fire Ant Control - Texas Imported Fire Ant Research and Management Project.

Very safe to spread in an area with kids and pets. Award is not a poison, it is an ant growth inhibitor. The foraging ants pick it up off the ground and take it back to the nest to feed to the other developing ants. It prevents new ant larvae from hatching. Voila, a severely reduced population of fire ants.

But you have to stay after those ants all the time. Put out the Award every couple of months because ants will always move back in from neighboring properties that are untreated.

After about a month from the first treatment you will notice a steep reduction in the ant population. It takes a bit of time because Award doesn't kill any existing ants, it prevents new ants from hatching. Mature ants have a short life span and once they're gone, no new ones mature to replace them.

This stuff really works, it is the only thing that works on fire ants and it's completely safe for all other living things that are not ants. Get some.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:31 PM

589 posts, read 1,559,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOAD View Post
Fire ants in Canada?
Spraying WD-40 on the ground?
Yes, maybe the gentler kinder species compared to the tropical ones.

Fire ant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-31-2009, 05:06 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Use aspartame, the artifical sweetener. This is what is was originally formulated for, an insect poison.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:39 AM

74 posts, read 261,473 times
Where do you get this product "Award"? I went on their website and it doesn't say where it is available. I live in Palm Springs, CA and they are all over the yard and I know that this summer they are going to be terrible. I have a dog and I do not want to use anything that will harm her.

Thanks,

Old 04-12-2009, 12:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
I wasn't aware that the imported South American fire ant had made it to southern CA? There are many many kinds of ants around, but to the best of my knowledge the South American fire ant ranges only in the gulf south of America. They are vicious, aggressive, and they are flesh eaters.

In Texas I used to buy the Award at my local farm feed store and could sometimes find in in plant nurseries.

I think first off you should probably try to identify the kind of ant you're dealing with. Contact your local county Agricultural Extension Service office to ask if they have knowledge of these fire ants in your area. They'll know if these ants have moved in. Believe me, there is no mistaking the invasion of imported fire ants nor confusing them with less malicious types of fire ants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden