Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 03:27 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,838 times

Advertisements

Due to my work schedule I am only able to cut my lawn every 2 1/2 weeks. I have 1/2 acre of lawn, and it gets pretty thick over the septic tank. I have 800.00 budgeted for a new lawn mower. Any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 02:01 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Thumbs up A Mulching Mower

I just mowed some pretty high grass...okay, very high grass (I was busy! ).

What I use - and my land is only 1/5 of an acre and it is flat - is a mulching mower.

The difference with a mulching mower is that the mower first cuts and then mulches the grass before releasing it from the deck back out onto the lawn...so no bagging is necessary unless you really want to for some reason (I never do....don't even own a bag).

My mower is a Black and Decker 18" path electric mulching mower (corded). I think it ran me roughly $200? I've had it for about 5 years now with no problems. The nice thing about electric is:

1) quieter, waaaay quieter

2) no to low vibration

3) no maintenance beyond sharpening/replacing the blade...no oil to add, no filters to be bothered with....nothing - just plug it in and go .

4) no fumes

5) environmentally kinder than the gas varieties

The downside is the cord. It takes a while to get used to it and it's an annoyance, but considering everything else, I think it's a good tradeoff.

There should be gas-powered and cordless mulching mowers available too.

Mulching grass is good for your lawn and tall grass is not a problem for mulching mowers.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:41 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
I'm assuming you are wanting a push mower for just a half acre? I would look for one with the big wheels which are easier to push. I would also look for one with at least a 6hp engine. A Sears Craftsman is perfectly fine IMO, shouldn't cost anywhere near $800.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:02 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
A few years ago I bought a Sears Craftsman Weedtrimmer, which is essentially a weedeater on wheels. It cuts through the tallest grass like Bahia grass, even if you only cut once every two or three weeks.

It's tricky to avoid damaging shrubs and small trees you don't want to cut since there is no guard to the front or sides of the cutting line. So you have to rethink your mowing strategy in tight quarters. It won't cut woody material but will mow thick juicy weed stems as easily as grass.

I think I paid around $200 for mine on sale a few years ago.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:43 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times
Mulching mowers are great because leaving the clippings on the grass is like a free nitrogen treatment.
However if the grass is very tall you might need to make 2 passes because you don't want to leave the clippings laying on top of the grass this can lead to fungus issues.
Also removing more than 1/3 of the grass may result in stress to your lawn.
The higher end mowers can have a better mulching "system" I would find a really knowledgeable salesperson when you go shopping and explain your situation and they can suggest the best mulching mower for your needs.
Also make sure you get a self propelled one !!!

Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Mulching mowers are great because leaving the clippings on the grass is like a free nitrogen treatment.
However if the grass is very tall you might need to make 2 passes because you don't want to leave the clippings laying on top of the grass this can lead to fungus issues.
Also removing more than 1/3 of the grass may result in stress to your lawn.
The higher end mowers can have a better mulching "system" I would find a really knowledgeable salesperson when you go shopping and explain your situation and they can suggest the best mulching mower for your needs.
Also make sure you get a self propelled one !!!
True, you definitely don't want to leave clumps lying on top .

The manufacturer recommends a pattern to walk when mowing and the main intent is to keep the cord behind you the whole time. What it also does is a natural "second pass". You go in one direction, and the mulch flies out the side of the mower. Now at the end of your row, you turn directions and that mulch is on top of the row you're about to mow, so with no extra effort, you're essentially doing a "second pass" every time if you follow the cord pattern in the book...pretty smart guys at B&D, huh?

You can still change directions on your next mowing and follow the cord pattern (and these mowers are so light, they don't make ruts in the lawn anyway ).

Mine's not self-propelled though . It's an electric push mower. Since I'm in Florida, it's flat here, so I'm not pushing up hills or anything. I can lift the entire mower with one hand and usually mow with one hand (handpick weeds with the other ), but if you yard is hilly, you might want to invest in a self-propelled.

I think the mulching system is the same in all the mulching mowers, it's so basic, but you can spend more and have options like cordless if you go electric and the gas ones might have some more bells and whistles.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:26 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times
hey riv
my mulching mower send the clipping right down into the grass
do they make electric that do that instead of shooting it out the side?
With the way my gardens surround my yard I wouldn't want the cuttings to get in them

rofl can you just see the look on my hubbys face if I tell him I am going to get a electric mower !!!

lol he gets nervous when I drag out the electric hedger he is certain I am going to cut the cord

Old 05-08-2008, 12:24 PM

20 posts, read 130,762 times
Get a mulching one with the most hp and you'll be fine.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:00 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Riveree, I think you have the same electric B&D lawnmower I used to have. Does the handle flip both ways so you can change directions without turning the mower around? I ended up giving mine away because the wheels got to where they didn't want to roll right. That was back when I had a small yard, now I have four acres to mow.

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 05-08-2008 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: spellcheck

Old 05-08-2008, 01:19 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
A little electric mower ain't gonna cut it for what you are wanting, for as big an area and how infrequently you are going to get to it. Also get the widest deck you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden