Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:22 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,890 times

Advertisements

Hi. Don't know if this is the correct place to post, but the "pets" category certainly isn't. I have a bird's nest up on our pergola that overhangs a patio where my small children play. I don't want it there, but I fear the bird is now sitting on her eggs. Does anyone know how I can move it and still keep the bird with her eggs? I don't know what kind of a bird it is. I think it's a black, white, and grey thing and I live in the central valley of California. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 11:30 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
I doubt you can remove the nest and not have the bird abandon it.

If the birds are sitting on eggs, it shouldn't take two long for them to hatch and for the little birds to get big enough to fly away (two or three weeks). If you're worrying about something dropping down on the kids, could you maybe put something under the nest rather than removing it. I'm thinking something like a strip of tarp that spans between a couple of your pergola beams. If you just "don't like it" being up there, it really won't take too long for the birds to be gone.

I'm not sure what your bird is. If you were in Tennessee I would guess a mockingbird with that description.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:17 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Check with a local bird society and see if they can help you.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:59 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Yeah, I seriously doubt you could move the nest without mom abandoning it. It doesn't take long for the babies to grow up and fly away though, and think how educational the experience will be for your children.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:07 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,256 times
It is actually illegal. Under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, it is illegal to disturb an active bird nest.(The exception being house sparrows). So it looks as if you might have to put up with birds for the next 4 weeks. By then the babies will have fledged. I can understand the inconvienence, as we have a female Robin who has decided that the wreath on our front door, was a nice spot to build her nest. She now has 2 eggs, so we are in it for the duration. And on a side note our house is on the market. Along with the sign to remove your shoes are appy shoe covers, I now will have to add a sign, please mind the nest! LOL.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:49 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Oh, what a funny location for a nest, hc7612! Once we left our garage door open for a couple of days, and a bird (I think it was a wren) built a nest in a hard hat hanging on the wall in the garage. So we had to leave the garage door open 24/7 for 3 or so weeks!

In our last house we used to get purple or house finches that would built a nest in a hanging basket of flowers on our porch. In our current house though, we haven't had any birds in my hanging flower baskets. Birds can pick some funny locations for their nests; you'd think they'd be a little more wary of humans.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:57 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,005,485 times
Heh, I have a lot of birds around me and two nests -- one in a nook in the eeves on the house and one on my carport. The birds aren't the least bit afraid of me and come very close to me when I'm on the porch. I take it as a compliment!

Please don't disturb the nests! The birds likely won't divebomb the kids or poop on them! They'll raise their young and all will be well!

Old 05-02-2008, 02:43 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
It is actually illegal. Under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, it is illegal to disturb an active bird nest.(The exception being house sparrows). So it looks as if you might have to put up with birds for the next 4 weeks. By then the babies will have fledged. I can understand the inconvienence, as we have a female Robin who has decided that the wreath on our front door, was a nice spot to build her nest. She now has 2 eggs, so we are in it for the duration. And on a side note our house is on the market. Along with the sign to remove your shoes are appy shoe covers, I now will have to add a sign, please mind the nest! LOL.
Well, I don't think the FBI will actually come knock on their door, but it is nicer if someone can "live in peace" with the birds a bit. And I'd sure take down a starling's nest if I found it anywhere on or near my house.

I have a covered front porch and the window under the porch have "fancy trim" across the top. One year the robins built a nest on top of one of the window trip pieces next to the front door. I got "fussed at" every time I went in or out of my house by the Robins family.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Oh, what a funny location for a nest, hc7612! Once we left our garage door open for a couple of days, and a bird (I think it was a wren) built a nest in a hard hat hanging on the wall in the garage. So we had to leave the garage door open 24/7 for 3 or so weeks!

In our last house we used to get purple or house finches that would built a nest in a hanging basket of flowers on our porch. In our current house though, we haven't had any birds in my hanging flower baskets. Birds can pick some funny locations for their nests; you'd think they'd be a little more wary of humans.

Yes, she has a prime piece of real estate she has chosen. I love this time of year. My Bluebird babies just finished hatching yesterday! I love Spring.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Well, I don't think the FBI will actually come knock on their door, but it is nicer if someone can "live in peace" with the birds a bit. And I'd sure take down a starling's nest if I found it anywhere on or near my house.

I have a covered front porch and the window under the porch have "fancy trim" across the top. One year the robins built a nest on top of one of the window trip pieces next to the front door. I got "fussed at" every time I went in or out of my house by the Robins family.
Yes, I think the FBI and Interpol are probably busy. LOL. I agree wholeheartedly about removing the European Starling and also House Sparrow nests. They were introduced and are not protected, and pose a real threat to our native cavity nesters. I do what I can to reduce the HOSP population around our property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden