Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 07:22 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

Since taking off from gardening in 2017, I've had the itch to start again. Obviously can't yet outside but figured I get this started early

Here are the previous threads.

My Garden Pics 2012

My Garden Pics 2013

My Garden Pics 2014

My Garden Pics 2015

My Garden Pics 2016

This past fall I built 2 small raised beds.. Got some incredible black gold from only composted leaves from a neighbor.

I plan on putting Spinach, Kale, & Lettuce in one and Garlic and Carrots in the other... Leaving the rest of the garden bed for other bigger crops I'll soon figure out what.

The Garlic is in ... Lets hope they don't sprout in December like last yr. lol With the cold pattern coming, I don't think they will.

Here's the other bed.. Goodnight till April. Not sure what I have planned yet. Cucumbers for sure here but I want to rotate a few things. Was nice to give the soil a rest this yr.

Last one for now... My volcano leaf pile. Should be fun to watch the progress of it over time and how it breaks down. I do add food scrap into the center of it.

Hope all you guys have a happy and wonderful garden in 2018!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 07:35 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
Getting those creative juices flowing early, eh Cam? Good on you! Looking forward to your series.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Getting those creative juices flowing early, eh Cam? Good on you! Looking forward to your series.
Thanks! Yup. And all you guys with your garden posts in the garden forum kept me afloat in meantime.

I love winter and snow but I do look forward to spring at times..and hummingbirds now.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:17 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
I don't veggie garden anymore, but I do like the hummers, and that is who some of my plantings are for, along with the many butterflies,and bees I now get.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:34 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Great pix Cambium. You and your projects are like a force of nature, an inspiration to us all.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:51 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Cam, I must admit when I just saw the thread I was thinking "oh wow, finally pictures of the garden" completely ignoring the date or the fact that you had previously explained you took the year off, for the most part. Your garden and its' yield are only pipe dreams in my world. I live with the clay here and I am lucky I can get tomatoes. The clay here is the size of a Flintstone boulder.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Great pix Cambium. You and your projects are like a force of nature, an inspiration to us all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Cam, I must admit when I just saw the thread I was thinking "oh wow, finally pictures of the garden" completely ignoring the date or the fact that you had previously explained you took the year off, for the most part. Your garden and its' yield are only pipe dreams in my world. I live with the clay here and I am lucky I can get tomatoes. The clay here is the size of a Flintstone boulder.
Thanks and Thanks! I really do appreciate it, but my garden pales in comparison to some others in this forum. I feel like mine is boring and repetitive. Nice to look back on over the years though. Each year brings new challenges and situations.

Lots of love and the season didn't even start. Seeds get started indoors starting end of February

Old 02-11-2018, 06:07 AM

Feb 11, 2018: Quick update:

Winter started off Frigid and Snowy then after January 5th the pattern changed. It became more normal with ups and down and lots of rain with very little snow. The ground froze & thawed several times.

Just measured the soil temp. Probe only went 2.5" down so its frozen below that. 35.7°F at 2.5"

I'm about 3 weeks away from starting the hot Pepper seeds. 5 weeks away from starting Tomato and other seeds.

Doing a little maintenance and replacing bulbs with the wood stove going on for heat as usual.

This mornings look at one of the garden beds. Mud season in middle of winter. lol

Here was back in Mid January. What happens when the ground is frozen with half foot snowpack and then we get heavy rains? #Flooding

Old 02-13-2018, 10:11 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I wish I could get a wood stove put in my house . those things are awesome .

Old 02-21-2018, 11:44 AM

What a tease. May like temps today I feel like I should be transplanting something.

70° outside so I got a big itch.

Just bought this.. getting ready to start seeds soon.

The warm air and sun is warming up the soil nicely but since I been keeping track I noticed it fluctuates night and day so it wont stay this warm for more than couple hours.. Soil temp drops to 30s/40s at night. Kinda surprised at the fluctuation actually.

57° at 4.5" deep

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden