Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 05:02 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I've always wanted an orchid plant and yesterday I bought one which is full of buds that look like they're ready to blossom. I read that I should water twice a week, expose to eastern light (it's on an east windowsill), and fertilize weakly, weekly. I'm also thinking of placing pebbles in a container to sit the plant on so I could have standing water under it for humidity.

So, does anyone have any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 05:54 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
First off - I am assuming you got a Phalenopsis (moth-orchid) as those are the most commonly sold at grocery stores, home stores, etc..

So:

Just don't OVER WATER it!!

Warning - if you purchased it from a big-box store (i.e. Grocery, Lowes and Home Depot) - they are often planted almost entirely in moss.

This keeps them alive in the very dry conditions of the home store - where they may not be watered often.

But as soon as you start watering them often (2x a week is often) - the roots get too wet and develop root rot - and in 3 months the plant will die.

I lost a number of them before figuring that out.

I repotted most of mine, trimming off any dead or dying or diseased roots (they are black or spongy/white/grey). A health root is firm, and usually white when dry but turns a silver/green when wet.

Remember that orchids live as parasites (most of them) in trees - so their roots are used to grabbing onto something for support - but not being buried in it. This is why a loose bark mix is so often used for potting.

there are some orchids (swamp orchids - like lady slipper) that will tolerate wet conditions, but most of the ones sold in the big stores are not like that.

Same with Cattaleyas, Dendrobiums, Cymbidiums (to a point) - as with phalenopsis.

The East window (if a Phalenopsis) is true. The pebbles/water for humidity is fine.

I put mine outside last summer - under a tree. I live in cincinnati and our summers are hot and humid. I put them under a thick lower tree (I am 5' tall and could just stand under the canopy) - so they got filtered sunlight, rain that dripped through the leaves of the tree and lots of moisture/humidity from outside. THEY LOVED IT.

Good luck, orchids are awesome.

You may want to get a book from the AOS (american orchid society) if you decide to do more of them - lots of helpful advice!

Old 03-16-2008, 04:11 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
putting it in an orchid box with orchid bark works also..... all of mine are like that. They live in our orange trees, and do quite well. I move them to the sun porch in the winter.
I water with a sprayer on the hose, and fertilize with a spray bottle.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:32 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
gentlearts, it depends on where you live. Generally, orchids love heat and humidity, not necessarily bright sun. We have about 50 pots. My favorites are the vandas and like kshe95girl, the vandas grow best in a wooden slatted box with orchid bark. The most common and easiest to grow is the phalaenopsis as another poster mentioned. It is possible the orchid you purchased this time of year is an Easter Orchid, either a cattylea or cymbidium which have fantastic flowers. Can you describe the bloom or buds? Are they individual buds or on a stalk? Maybe we could help you a little better if we knew which species you bought.

P.S. Collecting and caring for orchids can be addictive (and expensive!). Also, the American Orchid Society has a website at AOS | Home

Old 03-16-2008, 04:43 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
gentlearts, it depends on where you live. Generally, orchids love heat and humidity, not necessarily bright sun. We have about 50 pots. My favorites are the vandas and like kshe95girl, the vandas grow best in a wooden slatted box with orchid bark. The most common and easiest to grow is the phalaenopsis as another poster mentioned. It is possible the orchid you purchased this time of year is an Easter Orchid, either a cattylea or cymbidium which have fantastic flowers. Can you describe the bloom or buds? Are they individual buds or on a stalk? Maybe we could help you a little better if we knew which species you bought.

P.S. Collecting and caring for orchids can be addictive (and expensive!). Also, the American Orchid Society has a website at AOS | Home
OMG, that is soooooo true about orchids being addictive! I have about 50 myself, the vandas are my faves!
If the OP could post a pix, we sure could be more helpful!

Old 03-17-2008, 04:13 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Thanks, all. It is a phaleonopsis. About 8 big buds over two stalks.
It is planted in moss (grocery store plant), so, for now, I think I'll just be careful not to overwater and after the blossoms are done I'll replant in a more suitable medium.

briolat: I'm in Ohio too, so I'll try your method for the summer.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:25 PM

190 posts, read 764,293 times
I think twice a week is to much. One once of water a week is about right.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:44 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
GentleArts - NE Ohio - once you get into the heart of summer (no more cool nights - you need a night time temp above the 50's) you can put your Phalenopsis outside. Filtered sunlight (or shaded sunlight is best). If your Phal. is getting too much sun the leaves will bleach (round spots of bleached plant material) and you will know it is burning. When mine were outside (and planted in loose bark - no moss) - I was watering them almost ever day. It was so hot down here in Cinci (80s+humidity) that they dried out every day, so it was not over watering. I just turned the hose on "mist" and spritzed them for 30 seconds or so. On days it rained I ignored them. They did very well - the only ones I had problems with were those that were in the compacted moss from the home/grocery stores. Those stored too much moisture and the dreaded root rot set in.

good luck to you!! Enjoy your beautiful new babies!! (Two of mine are blooming right now!)

Old 05-05-2008, 11:21 AM

269 posts, read 1,267,421 times
I got a phalaenopsis as a gift and I've put in a room where it gets some shaded sunlight all through the day (south-west light). Should I re-pot the plant soon? Also, our humidity levels are really low, should just spraying the plant with some water help?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:55 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,388 times
I really like the vandas, but I kill them. I have a lady slipper that bloomed only once - I'm desperately trying to make it bloom to no avail. And I have a Phalenopsis (which I replanted into 3 different pots now because it was so big) which are the only ones that have bloomed. I keep the lady slipper in my bath.. hoping the moisture is better there... seems to do better, but no flower. I fond if I don't pay attention to them, they do much better. I just over kill with water or care.. I read up on them, but ignoring works best with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden