Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 06:37 PM

622 posts, read 395,839 times

Advertisements

I had good luck with Jung Seeds and Bluestone Perennials while living in Ohio. Living in an apartment here in Texas I've not had the opportunity to do any gardening other than in pots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 05:13 AM

6,358 posts, read 4,177,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
When you go garden shopping it's best advised to go to a local Garden Center. This way you can see what you're getting and pick the best plant(s) possible. Most Garden centers give you a one year warranty.
Online buying is a crap shoot, you never know what they want to get rid of and are sending out. Returns are a hassle as you've already found out.
I agree, it is usually better to buy locally so you get to see how healthy the plant is and to pick the one you like best.

Unfortunately when you love shrubs and planting, the nursery’s often don’t carry or deal with the less expensive bushes or shrubs/trees that are really small that you might want to plant where you have a long time horizon for growth. Or, specifically bamboo or tall grasses which is almost impossible to get locally, especially with all of the various varieties.

Anyway, I have bought online from several different growers where their nursery stock was excellent, economical, packaged properly, delivered In two days from FedEx and looked great and are growing like champs! I would buy from them again in a heartbeat ❗️❗️

Old 06-01-2019, 08:20 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbs View Post
Direct Gardening sends plants that are substandard, smaller than promised, and often totally compromised.
I always shop local garden centers first but cannot always afford gallon pots of pricey items, so since I had a huge area to plant I decided to opt for smaller plants that came in bulk.

I ordered from three companies and DG was the only one that shipped plants in a plastic bag in which the small pots were jumbled in the bottom. Most were dead with only one retaining any leaves at all and that one was brown and in poor condition.

I returned the plants immediately after sending a picture that I took after unpacking them and then I had to contact them after a week of their receiving the plants. They have promised a refund in 2-3 weeks...not sure why that takes so long.

The other two companies sent healthy, thriving plants that were packaged so well that I had to work to remove them. I will gladly choose that option over the practices of Direct Gardening!
Because they make money on the float - your money sits in their bank account, earning interest. Along with probably thousands of other people's money.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:37 AM

7,329 posts, read 4,121,162 times
I've been happy with White Flower Farm and potted trees from the Arbor Society.

For bulbs and bare root plants, I love Fedco Seeds.

It is so late in the season. Shipping plants in early summer heat does not seem like a winning situation. Early spring or late fall might be a better time for mail orders.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:07 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Default How do you properly feed plants using a hose end sprayer

Delete. Meant to start a topic.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:24 PM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I've gotten great plants from Edible Landscaping out of Virginia. The one time I had a persimmon tree that didn't have a very good graft, I snapped a photo and asked them to send me a new one. They did it with no hassle.

Whereas I ordered a boatload of berries, shrubs, and trees from Edible Landscaping several years ago. Few survived.

When I wrote for replacements, they said they didn't guarantee anything.

Lesson learned.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Plants Delight is primarily a mail order nursery but they have some terrific open houses for those of us who live close by. Their catalogue is filled with unusual plants from all over the world and Tony Avent offers terrific advice with humor all throughout his catalogue. They are known for many many varieties of hosta.

Plant Delights Nursery | An Online Nursery - The best place to buy new plants online for your garden
For gardeners who have never attend a Plant Delights open house, you are missing out. Mounded beds in sun and shade. Paths meander passed grottos and waterfalls.

Then there are the greenhouses and beds filled with interesting plants for sale.

They've recently joined forces with NCSU Raulston Arboretum.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:38 PM

Online reviews of Direct Gardening paint a picture of an outfit that ships stuff they buy from other outlets. Many complaints about what they were shipped was mislabeled. Lots of dead bare root stuff.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:41 PM

I buy from a local nursery that stocks stuff from local growers.

Have great luck. Probably because these are plants that have proven they grown well in our climate.

Sometimes get shrubs from growers at Farmers' Market. Also doing great.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:36 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,518,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I agree, it is usually better to buy locally so you get to see how healthy the plant is and to pick the one you like best.

Unfortunately when you love shrubs and planting, the nursery’s often don’t carry or deal with the less expensive bushes or shrubs/trees that are really small that you might want to plant where you have a long time horizon for growth. Or, specifically bamboo or tall grasses which is almost impossible to get locally, especially with all of the various varieties.

Anyway, I have bought online from several different growers where their nursery stock was excellent, economical, packaged properly, delivered In two days from FedEx and looked great and are growing like champs! I would buy from them again in a heartbeat ❗️❗️
Would you kindly cite these growers, greatly appreciated. Thank you,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden