Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 11:39 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times

Advertisements

My new old house has a nice yard which had some wonderful old trees. However, a new well and septic had to be put in which meant the propane line had to be re-routed. All that work took out EVERYTHING along one side of the property. All the septic people were required to do by contract was re-seed the grass, so now it is a mess of mud, patchy grass, and straw.

Well, now I have to start from scratch.

They say I can't plant trees in that area due to the septic, so I'm thinking about what kind of fast growing hedge plants or bushes I can put in along the fence line.

I'm thinking forsythia, privet, . . . I just don't know.

Any advice for me? I live in Minnesota.

And anything I should plant now versus waiting until Spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 12:41 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
What you plant depends on the amount of sun, ph of soil, moisture etc. Granted, I think forsythia and privet can grow with a wider range of conditions. Wait to plant. I think it is too cold now, esp in Minnesota. You can plant in Spring after it has warmed up a little or wait until next Fall.

I wouldn't just plant something that grows fast. You have a chance now to pick plants that you'll really like. I think winter and fall interest are important.

Forsythia - It does grow fast,have spring flowers and a little fall color. But a boring plant, and needs to be kept under control as it spreads aggressively in my yard. I also think the flowers are kind of ugly. If you like it, I would recommend one with variegated leaves so it looks interesting in summer.

Privet - I LOVE privet. I am ashamed to say this, because privet is boring most of the year, has no fall color and is invasive in a lot of areas. It does make a thick hedge and the flowers smell wonderful, but I can't recommend planting it if it is invasive in your area. The ones I have are semi-evergreen in my area.

Suggestions for Minnesota:
1. American Cranberrybush - Food for people and native animals. Great fall color. Interesting leaves. Grows nice and thick. Native. There are improved cultivars which have cool attributes like colorful new growth or dwarf habit.

2. American Hazlenut - I also have these. Nice fall color. Ok with alkaline soil. These have catkins in early Spring for interest, and nuts. The shrubs supposedly sucker. Mine have not suckered, but they're not that old. I cannot wait to get nuts. Native.

3. Clethra Alnifolia - Beautiful and fragrant flowers loved by butterflies. These sucker, but not crazily like forsythia. Yellow fall color. Grow in moist shade. Pretty fast growing. Native.

4. Serviceberry - Many of these like "autumn magic" are small trees. They have spring flowers, summer fruit and awesome fall color. They should be OK near the drainage field. Native.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:07 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,019 times
along with the suggestions already made, you might also consider euonymus alata "compacta" with good green color during the growing season and brilliant fall color can supposedly do well unclipped. the typical (NON compact) form is supposed to be a bit tougher/cold hardier but should also do well especially if trimmed on a regular basis.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:15 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You can not plant anything over a septic or leach lines. Normally, you can get away with grass, but any sort of tree or shrub will get roots down into the leach lines and cause you problem. Whatever you plant, you can not do a lot of watering, or the irrigation water can fill up the leach lines and make your tank back up because there is nowhere for the septic water to go if the lines are already full.

I suggest that you settle for lawn and maybe some sort of small shrub next to the house. Something that either has pretty flowers or smells nice. I love roses and something like honeysuckle or gardenia is wonderful when the smell wafts into the house.

I know it is not what you want to hear, but if you are going to live out where there are septic tanks, you must take good care of that tank. Septic is not a set it and forget situation. It is simply a cost of living out in the country.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the useful and informative replies, everyone!

OregonWoodSmoke - how far away from the septic tank and leach field do I need to keep plantings? I mean it doesn't take up the whole entire yard. I do have a map drawn by the installer. Six feet away on all sides? More? Less?

Old 11-16-2013, 04:36 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
If you can't plant in the ground in that area, maybe you could build some raised planters or use large pots?

Old 11-16-2013, 04:37 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
My septic and leach field have been there for many years. There were 4 mature shrubs growing about a foot away from the leach field and maybe 6 feet from the septic mound, and there are very big trees growing about 4 feet from the edge of the leach field when I bought the house. The shrubs did not have invasive roots, and may have helped to keep the area dry.

I am not suggesting you do this, but someone did this to my system, and it managed to still work and be in good condition.

Someone had even planted a willow which had beautiful leaves and catkins, right next to the field. It had been encroaching on the leach field for years. I cut it down a couple of years ago. So if it makes you feel a little better, it may be harder to mess up the system than you think.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:06 PM

I keep thinking that since I'm the only one who's going to be pping into the septic, and I don't use that much wash water, the system should have it pretty easy.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:16 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
My new old house has a nice yard which had some wonderful old trees. However, a new well and septic had to be put in which meant the propane line had to be re-routed. All that work took out EVERYTHING along one side of the property. All the septic people were required to do by contract was re-seed the grass, so now it is a mess of mud, patchy grass, and straw.

Well, now I have to start from scratch.

They say I can't plant trees in that area due to the septic, so I'm thinking about what kind of fast growing hedge plants or bushes I can put in along the fence line.

I'm thinking forsythia, privet, . . . I just don't know.

Any advice for me? I live in Minnesota.

And anything I should plant now versus waiting until Spring?
You have my sympathy. Loss of nice landscaping is never pleasant. Both oregonwoodsmoke and Georgeinbrandonoregon offered some helpful advice that I can agree with for the most part.

First of all, no matter what you decide to plant, and where, there are no plants or shrubs you can plant now and have them survive this winter in any part of Minnesota. For most of your state the best time to plant is the spring. I doubt there will even be enough warm weather to sprout and grow any grasses to make for some erosion control, since that window probably closed by mid to late September. in even the

Part of what I spent quite a few years doing was working as an adviser for plant and tree planting, replanting and mitigation in riparian corridors, wetlands and septic areas for municipalities and commercial construction. The advice not to plant on and close to the septic system is sound even if some people have happily ignored it. Some people smoke like chimneys and gleefully will tell you they have lived past 90, too.

You didn't say whether you have a mound system or a standard flat system and I was given to understand that the mound system has become a lot more popular in recent years in your part of the country so I thought I would ask to help make clear what and where you actually want to plant.

One of the reasons not to plant on or close to the septic leaching fields is that in order to function they need the soil keep its evaporation functions and oxygen carrying ability. Obviously there are much more technical reasons as well. Most often grasses and "non woody" plantings are recommended in most state guides for good reason. Larger roots from woody plants, especially trees, can effect the function of the septic field in multiple ways. The worst kinds to plant are the very ones people with little experience go for first; those that require wet soils or are wetland types in nature. It is exactly the opposite you should be looking for.

Rather than give you a hodgepodge list of plants and shrubs that may or may not be what you have in mind I'll recommend some reading material to start you in the right direction. You have a few months to plan what you want to do and you can use that time to learn more about best practices in your state from publications like these:
Understanding Your Septic System | Onsite Sewage Treatment Program | Water Resources Center | University of Minnesota

Landscaping septic systems : Yard and Garden : Garden : University of Minnesota Extension

From Clemson is another well written and thought out explanation of spetic field and landscape interaction: HGIC 1726 Landscaping Over Septic Drain Fields : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

Please take a look at source I have referred others to for some good plant and shrub choices that have worked in various locations and cross check any you like the look of with what will grow in your town: http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extm.../HENV-15-W.pdf

Good luck with your new landscape endeavors!

Old 11-17-2013, 10:35 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I keep thinking that since I'm the only one who's going to be pping into the septic, and I don't use that much wash water, the system should have it pretty easy.
That could be so.
However, I still wouldn't plant anything with a spreading root system. Kinkytoes has demonstrated expertise here, and has offered some great suggestions for your area. Take your time and think this through. Best to You!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden