Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:23 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,686 times

Advertisements

Attached (click on the thumbnail) is an image I just took of a weed that is new for this lawn (in fact, it is present in a number of lawns up and down the block and I do NOT remember it having shown up before).

In any case, do you know what it is and how to get rid of it?

Thanks in advance - I'll be google image searching as well and WILL update here if I find the answer.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this grass-like weed?-grassweed.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
It might help with responses if you would post your location.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
It might help with responses if you would post your location.
Lol! Sorry about that! Since I'm new to the Garden forum I just assume everyone "knows" I'm in Northern Virginia...the "other" forum.

In any case, a quickie Google Image Search by image (just pasted into GIS the image - what a fantastic search tool!) suggests it is this:

Nutsedge

or some variant of it.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:33 PM

67 posts, read 242,596 times
That's doesn't look like nutsedge. I'll dig out the Weeds of the Northeast book once I find it (just moved).

Yellow and purple nutsedge is in your area, however. The stems are distinctly triangular (virtually nothing else is), and the leaves come out at those angles. Nutsedge doesn't have above-ground stems like that weed does, either (or so it appears from your photo).

Yellow Nutsedge

Old 04-19-2013, 03:37 PM

67 posts, read 242,596 times
My first thought was bermudagrass or centipedegrass, but I am but a silly northerner who doesn't see that too often! Any southern turf and garden folks have an idea?

Old 04-19-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD357 View Post
My first thought was bermudagrass or centipedegrass, but I am but a silly northerner who doesn't see that too often! Any southern turf and garden folks have an idea?
Nah, it doesn't quite look like those. The attached thumbnail below is a closeup I just took inside my house (handheld with an LED flashlight handheld off to the side; pardon blur); this piece of one of the weeds may have been chopped off at the "top" since it is post-mowing (unlike the first post's pre-mowing image).

BTW- that's a centimeter scale below it.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this grass-like weed?-grassweed2.jpg  

Last edited by sullyguy; 04-19-2013 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: added centimeter part

Old 04-19-2013, 04:14 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,721,752 times
Shotweed.

As it matures the seed pods will become dry, and when disturbed it shoots little seeds all over everywhere.

I actually try to keep my head turned when pulling this stuff out, I've been torpedoed in the eyeball too many times with the projectile seeds.

And it's not grassy. Each one of those is its own individual plant.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Shotweed.
Yes! That's it - after you said the thing about the seeds exploding I remember that I have posted somewhere about this before WITH the exploding part as well.

Here's a link to an online image/site: The Dean's Greens Gazette: The Weed with Exploding Seeds!

Old 04-19-2013, 05:04 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD357 View Post
It isn't centipede.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:39 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Shotweed.

As it matures the seed pods will become dry, and when disturbed it shoots little seeds all over everywhere.

I actually try to keep my head turned when pulling this stuff out, I've been torpedoed in the eyeball too many times with the projectile seeds.

And it's not grassy. Each one of those is its own individual plant.
I believe we have a winner^^^

It goes by various names in different areas; Bittercress aka Snapweed aka Shotweed
bot name :Cardamine hirsuta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden