Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 05:44 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,005 times

Advertisements

I am terrible at carpentry but want(need) to build several wooden boxes that will be waist high to grow veggies in. There are plenty of nematoes in the soil here and container gardening is essential. I have some stuff in plastic tubbies but have to bend down and it is not good for a old damaged back. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
A big wooden box waist high full of soil, will rot out pretty quickly I think.

Take a look at these water troughs made into raised gardens. The troughs come in various sizes and are in the $100 or so range.

Water Trough Planter Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel, and Decor

Two Men and a Little Farm: GALVANIZED WATER TANK / TROUGH VEGETABLE GARDENS

Galvanized Livestock Water Troughs. Compost Bins or Raised Bed Gardens. Arizona Raised Bed Vegetable & Fruit Tree Gardens. Arizona Vegetable & Fruit Gardening For The Arizona Desert Environment. Pictures, Photos, Images, Descriptions, Information, &

Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Love the arrangements they came up with, Azoria. I've often looked at the galvanized buckets and troughs at the local Tractor Supply and Co-op stores and debated how they might look in the landscape. Now I know. As my knees let me know I am getting on those will be on my mind as the next step.

I had posted links to some of the handicap accessible ideas a little while back, but can't remember where, though. The following are links to some kits (or ready made for ordering) for the same ease of gardening idea. They are not exactly cheap, although some are less than others.

Square Cedar Raised Garden Planter, 3' x 3' - Eartheasy.com Solutions for Sustainable Living

DECK PLANTER BOX - RAISED GARDEN PLANTER BOXES - NATURAL CEDAR

How to Make a High Raised Garden Box for the Handicapped | Garden Guides

Eden Arbors and Pergolas, Eden Cambridge Raised Planter Box Extensions, Decorative Planter Boxes

Ana White | Build a $10 Cedar Raised Garden Beds | Free and Easy DIY Project and Furniture Plans

ACCESSIBLE GARDENS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden