Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 03:57 PM

3,701 posts, read 4,845,879 times

Advertisements

My one side yard, I'm on a 1/4 acre corner lot, is wooded. It looks ugly. It's a mixture of pines and assorted hardwoods up to about a foot in diameter. I've already cut down several small trees and have my eye on removing a few more. Most, however, are too large for me to remove and actually the shade helps keep my house cooler in the summer. So, I'm going to be stuck with this wooded side yard which in reality I don't mind too much.

What I don't like is it is ugly. Nothing grows there but trees and the occasional brier which I keep cutting away. It looks unkept, if that makes any sense. In the summer, when it really needs to be maintained, I work from before sunrise to dark most days so don't have the time to do much.

Would it be a good idea to plant english ivy around to fill in the ground beneath the trees to give some greenery there? Would it get too out of control? It's a section perhaps 10 X 30 of trees. My front yard has a clump of about 4 trees which I'm just going to pile up a mound of mulch around them to cover the roots and neaten things and match the mulch border around the house. I feel the side yard is just too big of an area to do that too and I feel it would look better if it was green anyways. If not english ivy, any other ideas for a ground filler in a shady area under trees? The ivy would go up to what will be a gravel path that goes around the house since grass just won't grow there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 04:03 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
No, no, no. English ivy is an invasive non-native which will climb up, over and around anything that's growing and choke it out.

It sounds as if you have a deep woods kind of landscape there. They usually don't have much in the way of ground cover. You might try ferns and rhododendron.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
It's taken me years of fighting to get rid of the #!%&!! ivy in our side yard, I can't imagine someone thinking of planting it. Besides fern, look for a native groundcover, or perhaps try something like Vinca Minor. I use Pulmonaria, with great spring colors of pink and blue, and it does spread but slowly and is easy to control.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:22 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,435,565 times
"Would it be a good idea to plant english ivy"
No, see ^^^

"clump of about 4 trees which I'm just going to pile up a mound of mulch around them to cover the root"
Careful - too much mulch is bad - no more than ~2 or 3 inches of mulch out to the dripline (rootzone) and don't pile up a mound (mulch volcano). Be sure that the 'crown' of the plants is at soil level (or 1 or 2 inches higher) and leave the area around the trunk clear.

You may want to visit the arboretum for ideas and advice:

Adkins Arboretum : Home

UMD Extension:

Quote:
Ask the experts! We answer plant
and pest questions.
Call us - Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. (ET)

800-342-2507 (Outside MD, 1-410-531-1757)

No confusing menus -
just a real person to answer your questions!
Home and Garden Information Center

Here's a nice website:

Eastern Shore Gardener | A blog about a garden and gardening on Maryland's Eastern Shore

BTW - vinca minor (periwinkle) is on some invasive species lists.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:40 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times
Woodland gardens can be beautiful. A nice groundcover for your area might be Canadian Wild Ginger.

Canadian Wild Ginger: Asarum canadense
Excellent for moist woodland or naturalized area in light to dense shade. Grows to 4–6 inches tall and has a slow to moderate growth rate. Reddish, bell-shaped flowers carried under the foliage in early spring. Dull green foliage makes for a clean attractive look. Space 8–12 inches apart. Perennial.

Ferns, lily of the valley, bleeding hearts, hostas would work, too. The soil under the pines will be acidic so you'll need to choose plants that can thrive in shade and acid soil.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:33 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,778,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
"Would it be a good idea to plant english ivy"
No, see ^^^

"clump of about 4 trees which I'm just going to pile up a mound of mulch around them to cover the root"
Careful - too much mulch is bad - no more than ~2 or 3 inches of mulch out to the dripline (rootzone) and don't pile up a mound (mulch volcano). Be sure that the 'crown' of the plants is at soil level (or 1 or 2 inches higher) and leave the area around the trunk clear.

You may want to visit the arboretum for ideas and advice:

Adkins Arboretum : Home

UMD Extension:

Home and Garden Information Center

Here's a nice website:

Eastern Shore Gardener | A blog about a garden and gardening on Maryland's Eastern Shore

BTW - vinca minor (periwinkle) is on some invasive species lists.
This covered a lot of what I would have said. Good advice to go with local garden information because things that succeed in one place may not be a good choice for another. Same goes for the dangers of covering existing tree roots. Many trees cannot tolerate a deep covering once they are already established.

English Ivy is just about on every list of *do not plant* for all the reasons already given. It is next to impossible to get rid of and it will take over. It is probably one of the most hated plants among those who have had experiences with it.

It sounds like the area you have has fairly deep shade and is somewhat dry. You will need to spend time maintaining even the toughest plants until they establish roots. If you can't provide water several times a week during dry and hot spells very little will establish itself. Gardens are never easy!

Some excellent plants for moderate to fairly deep shade follows this paragraph. I've given you common names and Latin names so you can look up more varieties and sources. The links are just so you can see something about each one. These are not vines or spreading plants but they gradually get larger and fill in. Most of them have pretty but small flowers.

Golden Star (Chrysogonum virginianum) Chrysogonum virginianum 'Allen Bush' Golden star from North Creek Nurseries

Epimedium (Epimedium grandiflorum) Epimedium grandiflorum Lilafee

Lungwort (aren't the common names funny sometimes?-latin name is Pulmonaria longifolia) Raspberry Splash Lungwort (Pulmonaria longifolia 'Raspberry Splash' P.P.# 12138) - Monrovia - Raspberry Splash Lungwort (Pulmonaria longifolia 'Raspberry Splash' P.P.# 12138) (this is one I have, it is blooming right now)

Heartleaf (Brunnera macrophylla) Perennial Results: Plant View - Brunnera macrophylla 'Jack Frost' PP13859 CPBR1799

Christmas rose (Helleborus niger) Helleborus niger

Old 03-17-2013, 08:13 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
Do you want GROUNDCOVERS -- or PLANTS/SHRUBS that will grow in shade?
For shade PLANTS I have astilbe, lenten rose, euonymous, nandina firepower.
I don't have this, but I've fallen in love with the look of corydalis (a bulb for shade)

My favorite groundcover right now is Ice Plant (Delosperma cooperi 'Purple Ice Plant') but as you can see it's said to need "part shade." But that's just for "optimal" conditions. That doesn't mean it won't grow at all in shade. It may grown and just not flower:

Height: 2-3"
Width: 24"+
Exposure: Sun or Part Shade
Water: Low, exceptionally drought tolerant
Hardiness: USDA Zones 5-9
Pruning: Not necessary
----------------

Those bleow, I don't know anything about these other than they were on a list.
10 Ground Covers for Shade (yahoo)
Perennial Ground Covers for Shade - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Bugleweed (Ajuga): perennial ground cover, leaves grow into masses of foliage in green, variegated or bronze leaves. blooms late spring through early summer violet-blue flowers on 4 to 6 inch spires. foliage is fast-growing evergreen that reaches only 3 to 4 inches tall. It can be prevented from creeping into the lawn with an edge of stones or some other barrier. Zones 3 to 9.

Bearberry (Arctostaphylos): perennial great for sandy and rocky soils. green leaves with a tinge of gray. hardy low-growing evergreen ground cover, tolerates drought conditions. does fine in shade but near the coast it can tolerate sun. not particular about soil, does need good drainage. adds pink or white flowers in spring, red berries fall for birds. Zones 2 to 8.

Dwarf Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon japonicus): petite ornamental grass only reaches about 4 inches in height, is brilliant green. very closely related to Liriope and the two are often mistaken as the same plant. also referred to as Monkey Grass or Dwarf Lilyturf. evergreen groundcover grows in part- to full shade, average moist and well-drained soil. spreads by underground stems, has tiny purple flowers in the summer that are sometimes difficult to see. Zones 6 to 10

Ginger (Asarum): many varieties of wild ginger including deciduous and evergreen. perfect woodland ground covers, all can tolerate very low light. slow to moderate grower, sometimes requires a couple of years for the roots to get established. height from about 2 to 6 inches tall, creates a mounding ground cover once established. Zones 4 to 9

Golden Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia- Aurea): low growing groundcover, very delicate appearance, small round golden leaves. spreads slowly, hugs the ground with petite leaves that look especially nice contrasted with darker green foliage. will do fine with a small amount of partial sun and will be more golden. In deeper shade, this tiny perennial will be more chartreuse. needs moisture and must be watered during dry spells. Zones 3 to 10

Lady's Mantel (Alchemilla): popular perennial may not be thought of as a ground cover. spreads slowly and steadily in well-drained organic soil. known for velvety leaves and chartreuse flowers in late summer or early fall. If self-seeding becomes a problem, then remove the flowers before they can set seed. blooms are useful as a filler for floral arrangements so that's a good excuse for picking. leaves reach 8 to10 inches tall, flower spikes grow another 6 to 8 inches above the foliage. Zones 3 to 8

Lamium (Lamium maculatum): good ground cover for semi-dry shade, tolerates most soil conditions. attractive variegated foliage, adds a bright touch to shady areas. leaves are particularly showy, are almost entirely a silvery-white with a little green around the edges. grows 6 to 8-inches tall, white or pink flowers in the summer. Zones 4 to 8

Pachysandra (Pachysandra terminalis): perennial, probably one of the most popular of all the shade loving ground covers. glossy evergreen leaves grow about 10 inches tall. There's also a variegated variety with very attractive foliage, slow growing groundcover but has the benefit of tolerating deep shade. prefers a moist but well-drained rich soil. has white flowers in spring. Zones 4 to 8

Partridgeberry (Mitchella repens): evergreen groundcover, prefers acidic soil, can handle dry or moist conditions. fragrant white or pale pink flowers in summer, red berries in fall. fuzzy tubular flowers always in pairs which fuse together to become one berry. only reaches about 2-inches tall. Zones 4 to 8

Sweet Woodruff (Galium odoratum): delicate appearance but very hardy and does well in wooded areas. It blooms fragrant petite clusters of white flowers for several weeks beginning in spring. fragrant foliage that reaches 8 to 12 inches high and forms dense mats. grows best in moist soil of a woodland area. Sweet woodruff will go dormant if planted in a dry, sunny location in the summer. Zones 4 to 8
--------------------

Of the one's on the list below I'm familiar with Mazus Reptans, (which I like a lot) and vinca (which is very vine-like), mondo grass, and ivy.
I have a low-growing blue star juniper.
Then again, some on this list I didn't even know would be groundcover. The euonymous I have is a shrub not a ground cover. The only cotoneaster I've ever seen was a flower shrub, not a ground cover -- but maybe there are different varieties.

Groundcover List:,
Ajuga, Asian Jasmine, Blue Star Creeper, Cotoneaster, Creeping Fig, Creeping Jenny, Creeping Raspberry
Euonymus, Iceplant Ivy, Junipers, Liriope, Mazus, Mondo Grass, Rose Red Cascade, Sedums, Thyme - Creeping
Veronica, Vinca - Periwinkle

Last edited by selhars; 03-17-2013 at 08:22 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 08:43 PM

67 posts, read 242,596 times
It may actually be illegal if you are referring to Hedera helix. Invasive Species of Concern in Maryland

Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 AM

3,701 posts, read 4,845,879 times
Thanks for the reply's. I guess I'll take the ivy off the list. I don't want anything that will get out of control. I was thinking about it because I see some hoses around here with it.

It's more a ground cover that I'm talking about but wouldn't rule out a few plants or shrubs. But they need to be something that is easy to maintain. Also something that can grow in a somewhat sandy soil with pines. Another thing is it needs to be something that is tough so blowing/raking leaves in the fall won't destroy them. And we have moles. I may just be looking for the impossible though. I'll check out those links.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Picture 1000 words

Open up the floor by chopping down some trees. Forget the ground cover and plant some native plants in the opened up areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden