Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 12:08 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times

Advertisements

Hi group,

I'm growing some veggies from seed this year and installed a 1000-watt grow light, which currently hangs about 4 feet over the seedlings. They are situated in my basement next to a window.

My question is this: should I leave the grow light on 24 hours a day, even during daylight hours, or should I turn it off during the day? They do get sunlight during the day, but certainly not as much as if they were on my main living floor (but that won't work logistically, so the basement it is).

Another idea is to simply move the seedlings outdoors during the day to get natural sunlight. Or do they need the concentrated light from the grow light 24 hours?

Thanks for any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 01:48 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Leave the lights on during the day and off at night. I give mine about 16-18 hours of light. They should get used to what their natural conditions will be.

You can also move them outdoors during the day to a protected area, as long as you're not expecting flooding rains, high heat or intense sunlight. As bright as your artificial lights might seem, nothing is as intense as the sun. Young plants can get sunburned very easily. Bring them out foa few hours at first and increase the time as they become acclimated.

Having said that, I've always found it to be a real pain to keep moving them, LOL!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:32 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Vegetables need light to tell them what to do, when to flower and such. They should not have full time light for too long. While they are seedlings, 24 hours of light will not hurt them, it helps them to establish a good root system and they will not get too tall too fast which can weaken the plant.
I assume that you will be transplanting the seedlings outdoors? You will want to take some time to acclimate them to the 'weather' and light changes if you do. And do not be surprised if the plants 'freak out' when you transplant them. They may go into shock, but with care they will come back just fine.
If you plan on keeping them indoors for the whole season, turn the light off after 18 hours. Then when it comes time to flower and fruit, cut back to 12 hours of light.
This is what is most natural for the plants.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:49 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,082 times
I go about 18/6 or 16/8 when germinating seeds since the lights provide warmth, and I've read some studies that suggested that some temperature fluctuation is often beneficial to germination as opposed to a constant temperature 24 hours a day. In some plants more than others, but one of the studies was done with capsicum (peppers) which I grow the most plants of. A lot of my others plants are also nightshades (tomatoes, eggplant, and tomatillos) so it's likely to be the same for them.

Plants in vegetative growth don't need darkness though. They will not be harmed by 24-hour light as a general rule, though there are probably some exceptions (onions will bulb too early with too much light). I do believe there are diminishing returns after ~16-18 hours of light a day though. So the question is, is any extra growth from leaving the lights on 24/7 worth the extra electricity? Running a 1,000 Watt light 24/7 uses a lot of electricity. 1,000 Watts= 1 KW. At a price of $.12/KWH comes out to $86 per month. At 16 hours a day that's $57 a month.

I'm going assume your 1,000 Watt light is an HID lamp, either metal halide or high pressure sodium. These should not be left on constantly for long periods of time. Manufacturers recommend that you turn these lights off for 15 minutes every 24 hours. If you don't you might have a bulb explode. These lamps are not cheap and picking glass shards out of potting mix is not a whole lot of fun, so you should at least turn them off for 15 minutes per day.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 71,534 times
I am wondering if my tomatoes will be okay in my sun room for a few weeks before going outdoors?

Old 03-15-2017, 08:48 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjunkie1 View Post
I am wondering if my tomatoes will be okay in my sun room for a few weeks before going outdoors?
Your question has NOTHING to do with the original posting. Why did you drag out a 4 yr old thread?

Short answer to your question: yes, it's okay.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:10 AM

2 posts, read 71,534 times
Thanks for the response. Sorry you don't feel it is pertinent to the thread. You don't always get an exact response when you Google search things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden