Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 05:34 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times

Advertisements

I have several hydrangeas, 2 of them are fine, larger plants with many many blooms.

Two others are nothing but trouble.

This one has blue blooms and is very temperamental. I have looked it up and over the 8 years I have tried each one of the suggestions with varied success and usually no success. The first year the previous owner cut off all 20 blooms as she left moving out the last day. Totally stunned me. But I thought oh well they will come back next year. Left it alone and waited
Nope. not a one. Left it alone and the next year it had one bloom
Next year nothing.
Cut it down and it came back with no bloom
left it alone it came back with one bloom
Last couple years nothing agan.
Tried both cutting out the old wood and then leaving it.
Finally had 15 blooms all blue and beautiful
This year nothing again. I'm leaving it alone again and not cutting it down this year.

In the spring the center of the plant seems dead and the green comes from the outside. I have pulled this out some years and not some years. It doesn't seem to make any difference.

It's just so erratic I can't figure out what the heck to do with it. I know this picture is probably too small. I know she sprinkled something aluminum or something to encourage the blue but I haven't done this in the 8 years I have lived here and they still look blue when they bloom.
But how do I identify which type of plant this.

[IMG]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/12666607@N00/404718888/][/IMG]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 09:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
They bloom on the previous year's new growth, so when pruning you eliminate the next year's flowers. You should wait until spring when the new green buds start to swell, then just snip off the old dead flowers right above the first set of buds. In a very cold winter well below freezing you may lose more blooms as the tips die back. If it gets too big you can completely remove a few of the tallest branches at the base, then the others left will still bloom. It also helps blooms if you let it get dry to the point where the leaves just start to wilt before watering until you see flowers form, then water regularly all summer.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:30 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
Thanks I'll try that this year. Yes it does get very well below zero here and the tips do die off. Then does that mean that branch is dead and not going to bloom? Should I cut that off or leave it?

Old 10-27-2012, 03:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
It most likely won't bloom on those, but cut above the next set of green buds below the dead
part. If it gets that cold your blooms are not going to be that plentiful compared to a warmer winter climate. Here we get some dieback at about +10F. Hardiness varies by variety, most are between zones 3 and 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden