Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,353,725 times

Advertisements

There seems to be an explosion of this plant (phytolacca) in my FIL's neighborhood. There is an 8-10 foot shrub growing next to his garage, he has been ill for some time, and the lawn care people do nothing beyond cutting the grass. His neighbors are telling me they have had it in their yards and I am noticing it in the yard of the 80-something woman who lives in the house next door. I have never seen this plant before so I have no experience in how to eradicate it. I am aware of its toxicity which is why I want to eradicate it. We also have some concern, due to its size and location next to the garage, that the roots will soon be large enough to damage the building's foundation. I hear it is very stubborn so I am hoping some of you will share the benefit of your wisdon and personal experience in dealing with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 05:37 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
Roundup?
I always just cut pokeweed

Old 08-11-2011, 06:05 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
make poke salad (better in the spring)

Tony Joe White - Polk Salad Annie - YouTube

Old 08-11-2011, 06:35 AM

45,427 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Round-up or dig it out.

I leave a little bit, birds will work the berries.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:49 AM

I am all for providing habitat for the birds, but this is just so toxic and there are too many little children and animals in the neighborhood that I think it needs to be completely gone. The birds have been getting most of the cherries from my two trees for nearly 25 years so I don't feel the least bit bad about removing this potential hazard.

I have not tried round-up, has it worked for you? I was told that due to its tenaciousness, I would need something stronger. But thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 AM

Lord have mercy!

Pokeweed is everywhere sure if you EAT any of it RAW you might run into some serious problems but the same could be said of about half the plants out there including such dangerous species as Azalea and Holly bushes......and oaks and yes apples and cherries!

It is ugly, no place in a residential setting but roundup works though I would not do it in a vegetable garden. Seriously young pokeweed is satifiying to weed as it pulls out so easy - get it early next year.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:48 PM

Therein lies the problem, grannynancy, this is no small weed. It is about 8 feet tall. Pokeweed has a taproot much like a dandelion; I can only imagine how long this is. Roundup might work on much smaller specimens, but on this one, my research tells me from speaking to the neighbors and from readng on the internet, the leaves will die back before enough of the herbicide is in the root to do any good. So when it grows back I will have exactly the same problem. Given the length of the taproot, digging isn't an option. One would need quite a monsterous hole and there is no room to manuever a shovel between the fence and the garage as it is. The root has to be removed, not only to keeping it from sprouting again but to prevent any potential damage to the garage's foundation.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:25 PM

I think you are going to have to spray over time again and again and again like you have to sometimes with poison ivy or bermuda grass...or even a tree (if you don't grind the stump).....The leaves are still taking the poison to the roots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden