Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 10:09 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,960,350 times

Advertisements

I have two trees in my yard that won't grow even though the other trees are doing well (I have 6 of them in the backyard). I was wondering if there is a way to promote growth on a tree (fertilizing, trimming branches, etc)?

The first one is a Bradford Pear. I have 3 of them in a row, and the middle one refuses to grow. It gets sunlight for most of the day. You can tell by the shadows on the ground that the other trees aren't blocking the sunlight. It will grow small buds, but they never bloom and I've never seen any leaves. As far as I know, they are the same age.

I'm not sure what the second one is. It may be a bush. It grows leaves in strange places, but it never covers more than half of the branches. It also gets plenty of sunlight and water. I am debating whether to cut this one down. My wife won't let me cut the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree Bradford Pear.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,730,417 times
Cut it down one day when she's not home.

It does look failed.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:04 AM

955 posts, read 4,091,539 times
I would call the pear dead and cut it down. I'm guessing the tree is planted too deep, or planted in a section of yard that doesn't have decent soil (junk may be buried there, or there are rocks underneath or something). The 2nd picture appears to be privet. I would say it has insect issues of some kind although privet in general don't usually have problems with bugs. You can oftentimes cut privet down to a stump and they will regrow.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:24 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,280,008 times
If you really want to save your tree you might try some fertilizer spikes this fall and see what happens next spring. I had an oak tree that we had transplanted from the woods and the first couple of years it looked bad. I used some tree fertilizer spikes, it's now a beautiful tree!! I am so glad that we didn't give up on it

Good Luck!!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,760,577 times
If the Bradfords were all planted at the same time....the middle one is definitely dead or getting there.

We have 5 Bradfords about 12 years old that the previous owners planted along the driveway and while they look good and I am glad they are there for shade, they are very close and starting to grow into each other. As much as I like Bradfords, they are a pita. If the wind blows too hard or a big storm rolls in, they tend to split in the trunk area (that has happened twice at my old place) and they grow suckers (extra shoots) all around the base which you have to cut down.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:44 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,960,350 times
Thanks for the replies. The Bradford Pears are there as a "privacy wall" between me and my neighbor. Our kitchen and den windows face each other. I'm going to buy a different tree for some color variety and replace the Bradford Pear.

I'm going to cut the "privet" down and not replace it. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden