Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 09:33 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,528,475 times

Advertisements

HI I have plenty of containers with potting soil with vermiculite from plants that did not make it or were transplanted.

The pots have sat a few years.

Is this soil reusable mixed with some new soil or has it lost its nutrients?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 04:25 PM

99 posts, read 531,657 times
What kind of plants will you be planting? How big of pots?

If the plants did not make it due to disease/sickness, it may be in the soil so if you plant similar plants they will probably croak.

I reuse soil. I start plants, transplant to the ground, and reuse the starter pots/soil. They are only in the pots short term.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,152,335 times
I do not reuse potting soil. I used to but i have found handling all that dried up soil is bad for my allergies. I do however use old soil to either fill in low area in the yard or use it on the very bottom on large containers- if I don't use packing peanuts to keep the pots from being too heavy.

This old soil is probably full of seeds so I especially wouldn't reuse it for starting flower or vegetable seeds.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:35 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,734,849 times
I most certainly do reuse the soil I've paid for. If you have a propane burner and an old metal pan that you can use to heat it, to sterilize it, there's no problem with reusing it. I've never had a problem with it. I used to have an old electric Faberware bbq that I used for that purpose, but large metal pan, filled with moistened re-purposed soil, baked in the oven at 300 deg until hot, will do the trick as well. Your gas grill will work as well. Anything you can use to get it hot to the touch, then cool until luke warm, will work great. Heating the soil like that, and then planting the seedlings in it, can greatly help speed up the germination as well. I've been doing it for over 30 years and have never had trouble with funguses, insects, or weed seeds.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:19 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,623,138 times
I have also been using my old soil for years to plant my containers. I just add sand, manure, potting soil, garden or regular soil and mix it. I also add bone meal, alfalfa, blood meal, fish meal, cottonseed, kelp meal, and guano, in small amounts. All these are soil additives that help replenish the soil.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:53 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,734,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
I have also been using my old soil for years to plant my containers. I just add sand, manure, potting soil, garden or regular soil and mix it. I also add bone meal, alfalfa, blood meal, fish meal, cottonseed, kelp meal, and guano, in small amounts. All these are soil additives that help replenish the soil.
Absolutely! Throwing some perlite into it, if it's trying to compact, will loosen it right up as well...keep it loose and allow your roots to really go crazy!

Old 04-30-2011, 12:02 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,057,745 times
WOW some of these post are just so idiotic they are unbelievable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden