Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:40 PM

70 posts, read 168,754 times

Advertisements

I recently saw this shrub while on vacation in the Midwest. It has light green oblong leaves with white along the edges.

I think it might be cornus sericea "Silver and Gold," which is part of the dogwood family.

I took some pictures:

What kind is it? What can you tell me about this shrub? I live in NC in zone 7. Will it grow here? Can it tolerate full sun? Will the stems turn red in the winter? What will the leaves do in the fall? How long will the white flowers last?

Any information will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 10:55 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,760,101 times
It certainly looks like it could be the dogwood....the only other possibility I can think of is variegated weigela.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:16 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,137,645 times
variegated red twig dogwood ---I have one ;-)

Old 07-31-2010, 06:22 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,162,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
It certainly looks like it could be the dogwood....the only other possibility I can think of is variegated weigela.
That was my first thought too, but the leaves are a little different than the variegated weigela I have. So I'm going to say it's the redtwig dogwood.

And yes, they do grow in this zone. I have the regular green ones and they're doing great. Very easy to propagate too. Just stick a cutting in soil and leave it in the shade for a few weeks.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:27 AM

Yes, the variegation on the weigela I had (didn't make it, but the neighbors' did....we all got together and ordered some) was more of a yellowish color than this bush.

It sure is beautiful. I've always wanted one, but I've never even seen one for sale anywhere, and I don't usually order stuff through the mail much.

Plus, I want every plant I see.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:32 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,788,856 times
It really is a pretty bush. Dogwoods tend to do better when they get some light shade especially in more southern gardens. Out of curiosity I looked up some info.

The variety seems to be 'Ivory Halo' and the full latin name is Cornus alba "Ivory Halo'. Most of the people who have reported on it at Dave's Garden seem to have more northern gardens. PlantFiles: Detailed information on Red Barked Dogwood, Red Twig Dogwood, Tatarian Dogwood Cornus alba 'Ivory Halo'

The following site sells them but also has a helpful description of pruning and situating the shrub. Judging from these and a few more places I'd guess putting this shrub where it gets a bit of afternoon shade from larger shrubs or trees would up the success rate in a zone 7 garden. Compact shrubs for easy gardens

Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 PM

70 posts, read 168,754 times
Thanks to everyone for all of the great help!

The spot I was thinking about putting in it gets absolutely no shade, so I suppose I will have to think about another kind of shrub.

Again, thanks everyone!

Old 08-01-2010, 06:06 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,796,574 times
Fwiw, most of the redtwig dogwoods I see down here in SC get covered in a dark fungus by this time of the year. They don't like these warm humid nights.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Fwiw, most of the redtwig dogwoods I see down here in SC get covered in a dark fungus by this time of the year. They don't like these warm humid nights.
Well, then they sure wouldn't like it where I am!

Oh well, can't grow everything, I guess.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:10 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,788,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Oh well, can't grow everything, I guess.
LOL You have a pretty good and long growing season and lots of choices, you have to leave something for your more northern buddies. I still remember hearing about how the daffodils were blooming or the cherry trees were out or the forsythia were finishing from relatives in the south when I was looking at another 12 inches of snow in my garden.... then see all my leaves already down and hear about this or that "still blooming!" come fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden