Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:45 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,321 times

Advertisements

It`s just the two of us now. So, I`m trying to figure out a grocery budget. I`ve read were some people are doing it on $150 a month.I`m trying to figure out how they do this because my figures are $300 a month. Fifty-five of it goes to toiletries, cat food,etc. What do you buy on $150 a month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 12:36 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
What are the grocery stores in your area? Do you have a Walgreens, Rite Aid, or CVS close by?

Old 12-04-2009, 12:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
It`s just the two of us now. So, I`m trying to figure out a grocery budget. I`ve read were some people are doing it on $150 a month.I`m trying to figure out how they do this because my figures are $300 a month. Fifty-five of it goes to toiletries, cat food,etc. What do you buy on $150 a month?
I do not scrimp on food. I buy the best food available for myself and my family because it is the single most important purchase that you can make. My advice would be to cut back in other areas and do not cut back on the quality of the food that you buy.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-04-2009, 12:50 PM

1,353 posts, read 3,915,827 times
When I was living with a couple roommates. I myself could easily spend $100.00 a month on groceries and still have some left over.

It's called eating a lot of sandwiches and Chef boyardee.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
By definition a grocery budget does not include toiletries, cat food, etc. (Sorry kittie, my bad). Perhaps you should pare back to just groceries and see what you get for a monthly number.

BTW I agree 100% with 20yrsinBranson

Old 12-04-2009, 12:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,321 times
Cmichele, I have Walgreens and Rite Aid. I do shop at Walgreens when there are good buys. We have Safeway, Walmart and City Market.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:14 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
I'd venture a guess that those who claim to be spending $150 per month on groceries are not including toiletries, etc. That means you're within $100 per month of them.

There are also people who will buy a "side of beef" and never include that in their monthly grocery budget.

Even so, what works well for us is the fact that we actually don't eat a lot of meat - and pound for pound, that's the most expensive food we purchase. My wife is very careful to buy meat only when there's a really good sale. Also, she stocks up when other groceries go on sale. For instance, frozen veggies are on sale this week at our grocery store, for 88 cents per 1lb bag. We'll get about $25 worth, and they'll last us a long time.

We also stay away from as much processed food as possible. As you know, the "more processed" something is, the more expensive it will be.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:35 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
From your post I take it the last child has left home so I can relate.

We are retired and live on a small pension + social security which means we must shop the old fashioned way......bi-monthy supply runs to the cheapest grocery store at the time. Specials and such are always watched for and we buy in bulk at all times. We avoid all processed food except for cereals and then only buy store brands. Store brands can save alot as can a small garden in season. Believe it or not some paper products can be bought in bulk from Amazon.com at prices that beat local prices all to heck.

The point here is avoid those willy nilly once a day trips to the store where impulse buying can kill your budget. Get a freezer and some storage shelves to store as much as you can from your bulk buying runs.

Learning to think differently now that the kids are gone is key to cutting the grocery budget down to size.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:57 PM

128 posts, read 345,899 times
Spending $150 dollars in groceries per month is possible, anything is. If my fiance and I were to eat things such as ramen noodles, chef boyrdee and lipton noodle packs of course we could. The reality is that eating that way or that cheap is unhealthy for you. I think eating a reasonably healthy diet for two people will cost anywhere from 300-400 dollars per month. This of course is with toiletries, etc.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:03 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,316 times
I don't know how two people can spend only $150 on groceries. I spend $450-$500 for the two of us, and I plan ahead and cook our meals at home. I also avoid processed food.

Of course, this number does include toiletries and pet food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living