Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:57 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
According to my calculations from your data, here are the estimated costs for the purchased phone vrsus the Plan wit the Iphone 5:

1. The standard plan from AT&T, et al - $200 phone + ($80 * 24 months) = $2120
2. No contract phone - $650 for phone + ($30 * 24 months) = $1390

Am I missing something? I would also have the option of installing a foreign SIM card when I'm traveling internationally.
That would be about right. Keep in mind that the $30 plan includes only 300 minutes of talk time, which isn't a lot for some people. So if you need unlimited talk time you can get the unlimited for $50 (which is still cheaper) or the $40 with the 1200 minutes.

Plus if you can live with the older phone (they are still new and never used by anyone) you can save a few bucks there too.

I don't know about the foreign simm cards though. Virgin uses Sprints network, so if that foreign phone company uses the same type simm card, I imagine it would likely work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 01:06 PM

102 posts, read 308,175 times
I bought a Google Nexus 4. After taxes and shipping it was around $380. I pay $30/month for 100 minutes and unlimited data and texting on TMobile prepaid (no contract). I prefer texting and have never exceeded the 100 minute threshold. I think data is throttled after 5 Gb of usage per month, but have never come close to that.

Obviously the cost savings is considerable. I am not locked into a contract, I can leave at any time without penalty. I haven't change my phone usage at all, but I'm enjoying saving the extra $50 a month.

I had Virgin Mobile for several months on the $25/month plan (at the time. Now it is $35/month). The service was great, and the only reason I switched to TMobile was because the selection of phones was better.

I also went pre-paid with my home phone (VoIP) and most months my phone bill is less than $10.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:41 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
Ask here: HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource

Someone will know, including the travel sim issue.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:50 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Trying to decide whether to buy the Iphone with a plan (which I think is about $75/mo for 24 month minimum). Under this scenario, it would cost about $2K for 2 years.
WAY too much, I use an H2O minute plan. I pay $100 for 2000 minutes that is valid for one year. It cost me 5 cents a minute or 5 cents a text. After 10 months I still have $30 left. I however do not have any data for the phone, Wifi only. I use a Iphone 3GS, H2O operates under the AT&T network, so I don't need an unlocked Iphone.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:50 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
I have the Virgin Mobile no contract iphone . If you only need 300 minutes they have a $35 ($30 autopay). They have an unlimited minutes plan for $50 as well. They also offer the older iphone 4 and iphone 4s as well as the iphone 5. If you don't want to spend $650 (iphone 4 for $350, though they may still have the $300 sale yet). I have had it a month now, and so far so good, its been better then my experience with At&t.

Data (and texting) is unlimited. BUT, data is throttled after you have used 2.5 gigs (I never use that much).
I do. I use Virgin Mobile also and hit 2.5 gigs around the middle of the month. I'm too damned cheap to pay for internet service in my apartment, so I just do the FoxFi thing and use the phone's internet.

The last two weeks of the month always suck because loading web pages takes FOREVER. It reminds me of when I had dial-up back in the dinosaur days.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:45 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times
Anything on a contract is not worth it. Especially an Iphone as it is way overpriced.
I just bought a factory unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3 mini on Amazon for $270, and spend about $10 a month on ATT prepaid. I think this phone is comparable with iphone 4S in capabilities but with bigger screen while similar body size and without apple's dictatorial user limitations. For 2 years it costs $270+24*$10=$510. Compare that with the iphone 2 year $2k contract cost, save 75%. I only use wifi for data, but I have that both at home and at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living