Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 04:27 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,604 times

Advertisements

Yea I looked into em and did some pricing my eyes went through my head lol. I'm paying 85.00 a month for two lines and 6 gig of data. But I get a discount from my cousin so that helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 08:52 AM

309 posts, read 515,650 times
Fast Eddie,

Ting is a great plan. It has flexibility coupled with reasonable fees. If any one in your family only uses phones for brief talk such as "can you pick me up at school?" then that line's monthly charge can be as low as $9-ish. It's the best plan that fits our need so far.

Search online for $50 or $25 discount (a promo link from their members who "refer" you). Good saving there.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 PM

23 posts, read 38,832 times
I have seen the 50 dollar code, but it would still be quite a charge for the phones upfront. I'm hoping for a way around it.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 AM

23 posts, read 38,832 times
For those looking to really save, https://help.ting.com/entries/209932...our-ting-phone

Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 AM

524 posts, read 843,371 times
that straight talk $45 plan sounds good

Old 01-13-2013, 05:12 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,192 times
We use Kajeet. It's a cell phone service "for kids" but we use it for everyone in the house. It is on the Sprint network so you can sometimes use an old Sprint phone and activate it and save on the phone cost but you have to call them to see for sure if your particular phone is compatible.

Here is why I love it:

*Parental control options. We have not needed to do so yet but if need be, we can specify when the phone can be used, shut it off during school hours, for example, or limit what numbers can be called or calls received. We have a teenager so this is nice to know but so far we haven't had to do these things cuz he behaves. We have used the GPS locate feature once for his phone though when he didn't come home right away after school and wasn't answering calls.

*No contract.

*Option for a smart phone WITHOUT requiring a data plan. This is an awesome selling point for us. We had looked into other options (Cricket, for example) but everyone requires you subscribe to a data plan if you have a smart phone. Kajeet does not! So none of us have any data charges or internet through Kajeet, but we have smart phones and we just use our own Wi-fi at home or wherever we are. Since we are all almost always somewhere with wi-fi we have total use of internet on our phone without any extra charges! It would not be good I guess for someone who is on the road or in a more rural area but we live in a big city and it works great for us.

*Unlimited texting -- we are the kind of people who primarily use our phones for texting anyway so voice minutes were not a priority for us and this works out fine.

The biggest cost for us to make the switch was the purchase of the phones but like I said, you can possibly use an old SPrint phone if you have one. We chose to purchase refurbished smart phones from the website. All our phones were less than $100 each on sale.

We have four people using Kajeet. One of us is on the $20 a month plan which is unlimited texting and 150 minutes of talk time. The remaining three of us are on the $15 a month plan with 60 minutes of talk time per month. Since we hardly ever use voice minutes it is fine, it comes out to $65 plus tax a month, but with all of us having internet-capable smart phones. That was the draw for us, primarily, was the ability to have those kinds of phones without data plans and that extra expense.

If you just want straight talk/texting it might not be the best plan for a family but it works really well for us, considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living