Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 04:19 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,398,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
My lil sis and her husband live in West LA. They have never owned a car that was older than 2 or 3 years old (rotating between bimmer and benz). I have no idea how much purses and sunglasses cost but certainly each item is more than my paycheck. She spends $300 or so getting her eyelashes extended or glued on one by one or something like that. It seems like everyone in LA is rich and crazy.
Jinxor,

It's not uncommon for the women around here to spend hundreds of dollars a month getting beautified. Men, too, actually. My old neighbor in Beverly Hills had a pedicure/manicure every week, on schedule. And let's not even talk about the restaurants you need to go to in order to be "seen." We're talking $12 martinis that taste like fruit punch. Personally, I just can't keep up with the life style here. I want out...

Greenie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 04:31 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
We were doing well eating on a budget then we had seven children [our own two plus foster-children]

Now we can say that we have fed a large family for under $200 / month.

We are down to three of us, but we hold our food budget under $150/month.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We were doing well eating on a budget then we had seven children [our own two plus foster-children]

Now we can say that we have fed a large family for under $200 / month.

We are down to three of us, but we hold our food budget under $150/month.
Forest,

That's amazing! How do you do it? What are you eating?

Greenie

Old 10-10-2007, 07:20 PM

Well with my high cholesterol, we do not eat: red meat, no eggs, no dairy, no cheese, no mayo, no fresh fruit, no nuts.

Fresh veggies when they are in season, and we can a lot.

Fish when I catch some.

Ground turkey and 'hamburger helper' type meals [lasagna, beef stroganoff, burnt rice, Spanish rice, etc] we get them when they are on sale usually for around 35 cents each.

Shepherd's pie.

String beans, corn on the cob, homemade pumpkin pie, boiled greens, mashed potatoes and gravy with most everything.

Our meats are usually turkey, ground turkey, chicken, or ground chicken.

And we drink wine at every evening meal.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:03 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,678,691 times
This woman I had met at church had a food budget of $25 a week including eating out. She worked fulltime and went to grad-school at night and bought (as in paying a mortgage) her first home. She was quite amazing in stretching the dollar. I admire those traits.

ForestBeekeeper--that is great. I will try to take some of those tips.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Well with my high cholesterol, we do not eat: red meat, no eggs, no dairy, no cheese, no mayo, no fresh fruit, no nuts.

Fresh veggies when they are in season, and we can a lot.

Fish when I catch some.

Ground turkey and 'hamburger helper' type meals [lasagna, beef stroganoff, burnt rice, Spanish rice, etc] we get them when they are on sale usually for around 35 cents each.

Shepherd's pie.

String beans, corn on the cob, homemade pumpkin pie, boiled greens, mashed potatoes and gravy with most everything.

Our meats are usually turkey, ground turkey, chicken, or ground chicken.

And we drink wine at every evening meal.
Well, it sounds yummy, and I would like to come over for dinner...

- Greenie

Old 10-11-2007, 04:42 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,920 times
I can't give up the wine. That is our staple.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:41 PM

558 posts, read 2,248,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
* ...Make dried beans, rice and ramen noodles your staples.
Great ideas, but take out the Ramen Noodles...they have zero nutritional value, tons of salt, and will only contribute to doctor bills

Old 10-11-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMtns View Post
Great ideas, but take out the Ramen Noodles...they have zero nutritional value, tons of salt, and will only contribute to doctor bills
I agree.

We have tried them, but the salt is there, and it is rare to find them for cheap [considering that they just don't fill you].

Beans, rice, potatoes, pasta. All cheap and each capable of being served a dozen different ways.

Write out a menu, go for two weeks. On submarines we use six week menus and we repeat them. After six weeks no body can remember what meal followed the next. But at home two weeks works good for us, between shopping trips.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:14 PM

558 posts, read 2,248,605 times
Quote:
I agree.

We have tried them, but the salt is there, and it is rare to find them for cheap [considering that they just don't fill you].

Beans, rice, potatoes, pasta. All cheap and each capable of being served a dozen different ways.

Write out a menu, go for two weeks. On submarines we use six week menus and we repeat them. After six weeks no body can remember what meal followed the next. But at home two weeks works good for us, between shopping trips.
LOVE IT! We're coming to dinner...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living