Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 11:25 AM

7,031 posts, read 14,586,376 times

Advertisements

Cheryl Meril's Candid Blog- Nob Hill Notary: Why Do Frugal People Get Robbed More Than Others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 11:49 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,798,412 times
I get that having money around makes it possible to steal, but did you check out the rest of the blog?

Looks like the same pot-smoking landlady who allegedly stole six grand from this person's house, was also cut from the same person's last will and testament, so there was obviously some other relationship between the two. And that's not all--the rest of the blog is full of lunacy. "TSA worker performs satanic pedophile ritual on 3 year old in wheel chair", "Why I'm Likely A Future Murder Victim Of A Satanic Network of Professionals", "Is A Lesbian Notary Stalking Me", and my all-time favorite conspiracy theory, "Chemtrails Exposed as U.S. Military Funded Climate Engineering".

Whoa...

I wouldn't put much faith in any theory about frugality leading to theft. In fact, I wouldn't put any faith in anything that came from that blog.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:12 PM

7,031 posts, read 14,586,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I get that having money around makes it possible to steal, but did you check out the rest of the blog?

Looks like the same pot-smoking landlady who allegedly stole six grand from this person's house, was also cut from the same person's last will and testament, so there was obviously some other relationship between the two. And that's not all--the rest of the blog is full of lunacy. "TSA worker performs satanic pedophile ritual on 3 year old in wheel chair", "Why I'm Likely A Future Murder Victim Of A Satanic Network of Professionals", "Is A Lesbian Notary Stalking Me", and my all-time favorite conspiracy theory, "Chemtrails Exposed as U.S. Military Funded Climate Engineering".

Whoa...

I wouldn't put much faith in any theory about frugality leading to theft. In fact, I wouldn't put any faith in anything that came from that blog.
My point is, statistically speaking, your money's safer in a bank than under the mattress.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:19 PM

176 posts, read 586,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
My point is, statistically speaking, your money's safer in a bank than under the mattress.
But while it is true that there is a higher risk of loss by fire and traditional theft for cash physically hidden away; there is less risk of loss by
1. Seizure by taxes
2. Seizure by divorcing spouse (You've never heard of anyone where the couple split--and one member of the couple cleaned out the bank accounts?)
3. Seizure by court judgements

Then there is identity theft. While I think it very rare to lose money completely this way, certainly it can take a very long time to get it back.

So, I think diversification of savings methods is the best solution.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:04 PM

504 posts, read 1,278,284 times
Quote:
i get that having money around makes it possible to steal, but did you check out the rest of the blog?

Looks like the same pot-smoking landlady who allegedly stole six grand from this person's house, was also cut from the same person's last will and testament, so there was obviously some other relationship between the two. And that's not all--the rest of the blog is full of lunacy. "tsa worker performs satanic pedophile ritual on 3 year old in wheel chair", "why i'm likely a future murder victim of a satanic network of professionals", "is a lesbian notary stalking me", and my all-time favorite conspiracy theory, "chemtrails exposed as u.s. Military funded climate engineering".

Whoa...

I wouldn't put much faith in any theory about frugality leading to theft. In fact, i wouldn't put any faith in anything that came from that blog.
I enjoyed that...good quality stuff.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:07 PM

15,660 posts, read 26,475,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Very true. My in laws years ago had a wake up call when several homes in their neighborhood were broken into. They decided to bank all their house monies, and gathered up all their tiny stashes of cash kept in various cubbyholes and discovered they had nearly 4K in the house.

A day after they they put it in the bank, their next door neighbor was hit.... too close for comfort.

But their neighborhood was an easy mark -- a number of older retired people lived there.... and everyone knows old people keep cash in the house.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:26 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,713,796 times
Is it because "most" frugal people are frugal b/c they have to, like living in a lower end hood that is more densely populated & close to the stores etc. to save money on rent, gas etc.; thus a higher crime area (usually more populated area) so they get rob more???

Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 PM

541 posts, read 866,442 times
Quote:
Whoa...

Yeah, I kept reading in her blog about her other issues and I really wonder if she's "okay".

Seriously though, I wouldn't keep $6K lying around in my home. That's what banks are for (even if they're paying practically nothing in interest, at least the money's safe).

Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 PM

16,415 posts, read 30,558,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Very true. My in laws years ago had a wake up call when several homes in their neighborhood were broken into. They decided to bank all their house monies, and gathered up all their tiny stashes of cash kept in various cubbyholes and discovered they had nearly 4K in the house.
And you are missing one other thing. You may DIE and your heirs may never get the cash.

My BIL bought an old farmhouse in NE Ohio from an estate. Their first priority was to remodel the bathroom. After tearing out the bathtub, they found $15,000 in currency behind the tub.

I had a friend who bought three large boxes of books at an estate sale. She found 30 $100 bills in the books. Not a bad investment for $30.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 PM

166 posts, read 349,243 times
Quote:
my all-time favorite conspiracy theory, "Chemtrails Exposed as U.S. Military Funded Climate Engineering".

Whoa....
What's wrong with that theory?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living