Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:32 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times

Advertisements

Do you live near an REI? I know it sounds weird because it's an "outdoors" store, but I now get about 80% of my clothing there (even work stuff!). The REI brand is surprisingly amazing in quality function, and pretty stylish too. Not that expensive either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 12:43 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
Technically, I have enough clothes in my wardrobe. I work in an office on average 4 days per week and need slightly above business casual for that setting.

But I am bored with many of my clothes. And I don't have a huge wardrobe.

I've had some of my items for years. Surprisingly, some of my cheapest clothes are the ones that have lasted for 3-6 or more years. These are still in good condition and do not look out of style or out of date- classics like black work pants, white blouses, etc.

I'm trying to put more money into savings these days, so I'm fighting the temptation to buy more clothes.

I realize its simply due to being bored with much of the stuff I have, its not an actual need.

One of my weaknesses is shopping on-line. Its so easy to browse sites and find great clothing, sent to my door step with just a click of the mouse.

I wait for sales and buy in quantities so I always get free shipping. I also shop at stores I can return for free too.

I'm looking for any suggestions to help me resist these urges.
Boredom is usually a sign that there's some kind of void in one's life. Ask yourself what's missing and then do whatever it is. Maybe it's volunteer work, or helping a neighbor, etc.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:28 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Due to a more frugal lifestyle, I have started wearing a "uniform" for myself, trousers, camisole, shirt. When I see something I like and that fits well, will buy several in different colors, in order to mix and match. Have a few outfits for "special" occasions. Am gathering up all the other clothing I rarely wear and is going to GoodWill.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:24 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
How much on average do most of you spend on clothes per month? Or maybe, better yet, what percentage of your net income per month do you spend on average?

I am good at finding deals...I think I am struggling with how much I should be spending on average on clothes.

I also work at an office and have to wear business casual clothing.

I shop at Gap (if they have VERY good sales), Old Navy and clearance items at other stores like Banana Republic. Sounds expensive no? But it isn't. I have found Cashemere sweaters for $15 which is not bad. I have never shopped at Goodwill because I honestly never thought of it.

I don't spend a whole lot of money on clothes. I try to accessorize my wardrobe to make it look more "fresh" and "new". I spend $200 at most on clothes every 4 or 5 months.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:15 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post

I shop at Gap (if they have VERY good sales), Old Navy and clearance items at other stores like Banana Republic. Sounds expensive no? But it isn't. I have found Cashemere sweaters for $15 which is not bad. I have never shopped at Goodwill because I honestly never thought of it.
Its funny you mention this- I've been shopping at Gap on-line recently when they have their 30% off sales.

I've been creating a fall/winter wardrobe which consists mainly of black, gray, and white. This means that everything goes together so I have more outfits with less clothes.

I've got some really nice long sleeve t-shirts from Gap in those sales.

I never used to wear much black or dark colors because my hair color was dark. I changed to blonde earlier this year and now I really like wearing black. its making my wardrobe much simpler!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:16 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
If you have a large outlet mall anywhere close, that is a great source for clothing at much less than "regular" retail.

In general though, good quality items for basics and less expensive for trendy items that are popular now, accessories etc.

Good quality consignment stores, goodwill, even yard sales are just fine. In fact, I have a $200 designer Coach purse that a friend gave me (brand new) because she didn't need it. Now I see why people pay $200 for one of those bags - I have carried it almost every day for 2 or 3 years and it still looks brand new! Kind of funny, I didn't even know what it was for about 6 months until one of my sons noticed it and said "holy cow mom, where did you get a Coach bag?" But I sure like having it!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:11 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I'm a great proponent of the cost-per-use factor. Invest in quality for things you use a lot. Plain colored pants and skirts, good-fitting Ts, a sharp white shirt, a leather jacket, a navy blazer, everyday shoes, a black or brown bag. Some other things that are worn constantly that you don't readily think of: eyeglasses and sunglasses, underwear, the kind of night clothes you favor. Buy the best you can afford, take care of them, and keep them for a long time.

Try to spend next-to-nothing on things you rarely wear -- heavy coats, evening clothes, hats, dress shoes, outfits that stand out and people will think, "She's wearing that again?" If you must have trendy, then at least don't buy until you find a deep discount.

I advocate second-hand stores. Someone here already mentioned seeking out ones in the expensive part of town, which is solid advice. If your city has a resale shop benefiting a charity that rich people support (e.g. the opera, symphony, ballet, famous hospitals) definitely go there. If you don't have such places where you live, seek them out when you vacation or business-trip to large cities. A friend of mine took her family to NYC for a family vacation and while they were there she took her teen daughters shopping at the top resale shops. They came away with used designer duds for a host of high school proms and dances. But even Goodwill can be a source of well-made name brands for next to nothing. Keep your eye peeled for quality fabric, then check the workmanship. You don't have to look at everything in the place. Better to cruise through for a quick look regularly than to spend hours there once a year. They have quick turnover.

My experience with outlet malls has not been favorable. The big names are often selling things they create exclusively for their outlet stores. It's not the same merchandise they're selling on Madison Avenue. I have gotten nice things at end-of-season sales at department stores like Lord & Taylor and Saks. But you need discipline. Do not buy things unless they fit you like a glove and you really will wear them. Just because it's a bargain doesn't mean it's a bargain for you.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:00 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
I like all of the suggestions so far. Sales, thrift stores, creating a go-to uniform.

But, if you are bored and also want to have fun, why not host a Naked Lady Party? I'm sure you've heard about shopping in your own closet? Now what about "shopping" in some of your best friends' closets?

Basically it's a clothing swap. Set some ground rules (everything must be in new or like-new condition, everything must be clean and pressed yadda yadda yadda).

Invite some like-minded friends ( hopefully ~somewhat~ similar in size and taste), set up a "dressing room" in a bedroom (good lighting, full length mirror) and stock up on housewife wine and cheese and crackers. Let the "shopping" begin.

I do believe that almost every woman has at least a few pieces of clothing in her closet with tags still attached. Your "mistake" may turn into someone else's treasure.

At the end of the evening, everything that is not claimed gets donated to charity.

Naked Lady Party - getcrafty.com

p.s. you can also do themed Naked Lady parties. Say evening wear. One of the most successful we have had has been for cycling clothes, which are notoriously expensive. We get all the biking chicas together and trade jerseys we will never wear, gloves that are too small/large or helmets that are the wrong color.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Hmm, I wear scrubs to work, and have found I don't even need clothes hardly any more. I come home, throw on jeans, have a black skirt to go out, that is it. They even wash my clothes at work. It is the best "frugal" thing going.

When I taught school, I wore chinos and a top.

Go check out "Salvation Army", I just gave them a ton of new things I never wore, when I cleaned out my closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living