Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:09 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,707 times

Advertisements

in the thread fugal cloths buying i posted this comment about buying shoes

i found that over time buying really brand name shoes does not help your feet in the long run if part of your job is standing around on your feet all day as you work ..

as big and tall person i found that most brand name shoe comes does not come close to meet my needs for a comfortable dress shoe for work ..i

if you have the money to be able to buy a pair of well made dress shoes for work do it for your feet will thank you in the long with a lot better health for the back and legs and ankles areas of haveing a well fitted dress shoe..

it does make a difference between the regular off the rack shoes and fitted pair of shoes ..plus with the fitted dress shoe you can send them back to the shoe maker to be be refitted with new soles and heels and returned to brand new as they came out of the box for half the price of buying a new set of dress shoes every other month to replace the ones that have been torn up ..

plus by good shoe polish also take care of the shoes by feeding the leather to keeping the leather looking new as you care for the shoes..

i do tell people that the fitted pair does cost a lot more but will last a lot longer then a pair of off the rack shoes ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I don't skimp on shoes either. I buy good ones. Plenty of other places to save money. My feet are too important to put in cheap shoes.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Shoes are the only article of clothing that I ever buy new. Ordinary tennies for around the house, I get at thrift shops or yard sales or dumpsters. But I walk an average of a mile a day for shopping, etc., and I buy those at retail. I used to buy light hiking boots, but they don't last as long, so now I buy 5-inch work boots. Hermans from WalMart are a good, comfortable, sturdy shoe for about $30. I probably have nearly 1,000 miles on the one's I'm wearing now, and they are not yet showing any appreciable signs of wear. For street walking, I don't lace them all the way to the top.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I go to Nordstroms Rack, they have a half yearly sale on larger size shoes, and I only allow myself to try on shoes that are on the reduced rack. If you work on your feet, good shoes are essential. I also go with Zappos, for a pair of good tennis shoes. They will last about 6 months for me.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:13 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
I have really weird (flat too) shaped feet. When I was working I used to take upwards of two hours trying on shoes to find a pair that was comfortable. Then I would buy TWO PAIR, black and brown (oxblood). I still have a pair of shoes that I bought in 1976, like George Washington's axe (2 new heads, 3 new handles) they've been resoled and reheeled multiple times.

One time a female marketing manager for one of my clients commented that I always wore nice looking shoes and asked, "how much did you pay for those?". I told her I didn't know, I wasn't done with them yet!

Since I no longer work the only serious distance walking I do is on the golf course, so I buy really good golf shoes!

Old 10-10-2010, 10:53 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
I have foot problems so I never buy cheap shoes. Well made, well fitting shoes are always the best investment you can make.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:06 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Cheap poorly fitted shoes do one thing and one thing only for the wearer........ they keep your feet clean and that's it !!

I'll spend whatever I need to to get high quality leather boots/shoes and cut corners on work clothes to cover the extra cost. People just don't get how much pain and injury high quality leather shoes/boots can save the wearer from.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:34 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Yesterday I went shoe shopping for the first time in 2+ years. I needed some new shoes for work - not fancy dress up shoes, not heavy boots, but plain black leather work shoes to wear with casual slacks or "Dickies" work pants. I went to Sears, since it's not far from home, and they usually have a good selection of plain work shoes in most sizes. I found some Dockers "Shelter" plain oxford work shoes for about $55. Of course at that price, they are made in China. I'm a slow shoe shopper - it probably took me an hour to try on 6 different shoes until I made up my mind.

I always buy shoes that have a removable footbed insert. First thing I do to a new pair of shoes is remove the factory footbed and put in a Superfeet footbed. Superfeet are sold at most big name retail sports stores for around $30. They are a firm arch support footbed, and wow, what a difference they make in shoes. Great for hiking, walking, running or most any activity. They take a while to get used to. At first, you will probably not like them because it feels like the arch support is too far back. But then the feet get accustomed to the Superfeet inserts, and if you are like me, they find their way to nearly all the shoes that are worn.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:39 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
in the thread fugal cloths buying i posted this comment about buying shoes

i found that over time buying really brand name shoes does not help your feet in the long run if part of your job is standing around on your feet all day as you work ..

as big and tall person i found that most brand name shoe comes does not come close to meet my needs for a comfortable dress shoe for work ..i

if you have the money to be able to buy a pair of well made dress shoes for work do it for your feet will thank you in the long with a lot better health for the back and legs and ankles areas of haveing a well fitted dress shoe..

it does make a difference between the regular off the rack shoes and fitted pair of shoes ..plus with the fitted dress shoe you can send them back to the shoe maker to be be refitted with new soles and heels and returned to brand new as they came out of the box for half the price of buying a new set of dress shoes every other month to replace the ones that have been torn up ..

plus by good shoe polish also take care of the shoes by feeding the leather to keeping the leather looking new as you care for the shoes..

i do tell people that the fitted pair does cost a lot more but will last a lot longer then a pair of off the rack shoes ..
My advice is to buy shoes designed for people who are on their feet a lot. Shoes for Crews is one for example. I bought a pair there when I was in a job that required me to stand for long periods. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned and I am going to buy a couple more. They cost $24.00.

They have "professional" shoes in addition work shoes that are comfortable as well. Google them for more info.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-11-2010, 10:03 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
I only have a few pair of good shoes, two pairs of dress pumps, two pairs work shoes, one pair snow boots, and some hiking sandals I wear everywhere else. But they are spendy and of good quality, so will last for several years at a time. Wear Sperry sandals around the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living