Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 10:26 AM

36 posts, read 109,538 times

Advertisements

I think if we move back into Frederick from Washington Co, we may end up in some sort of a planned
community neighborhood. We will still look around Baker Park and such, but I don't know that we'd be able to afford it there.

We are early-30s, 2 small kids and 2 dogs. We have family in Ijamsville and we both work in Frederick. We'll be looking for a house around $300k, which is the part that I think may be tricky. There are lots of developments that tend to be much more than that, and homes that seem in our price range are often short sales (know nothing about this whole short sale/foreclosure world!).

Any developments/nieghborhoods that we should be sure to check out? We want a single-family home, not townhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 11:57 AM

516 posts, read 1,376,045 times
Short sales are not soo horrible as long as you aren't pressed for time. Foreclosures are easier though.

Here's some options for you if you aren't set on Frederick but on outer lying towns:

In Brunswick, brand new homes: Brunswick Crossing A New Home Community in Brunswick, Maryland
(I love Brunswick, but it's not for everyone) - From the low 300s/mid 300s
If you want a house already built, you could look at Galyn Manor, there are nice homes there for around 300k

In Walkersville, brand new homes: New Homes Maryland, Walkersville, Frederick County, MD by K. Hovnanian® Homes® @ Sun Meadow - From the high 200s

In New Market (If you've never been, it's a BEAUTIFUL area, it looks like a resort town IMO, there's a lake, b) Very reasonable also.
Here's a few examples
6791 BALMORAL RDG BALMORAL NEW MARKET MD - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-BALMORAL-NEW+MARKET-MD-MRIS-FR7164074 - broken link)
6960 MEADOWPOINT TER THE MEADOWS NEW MARKET MD - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-THE+MEADOWS-NEW+MARKET-MD-MRIS-FR7175505 - broken link)
6712 MEADOWLAWN CIR THE MEADOWS NEW MARKET MD - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-THE+MEADOWS-NEW+MARKET-MD-MRIS-FR6995218 - broken link)

Old 12-21-2009, 12:02 PM

Oh and I would stay away from 40 if possible.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:04 PM

Whittier is nice
2426 GRAYSTONE LN WHITTIER FREDERICK MD - HomesDatabase

Old 12-21-2009, 12:26 PM

36 posts, read 109,538 times
Thank you, mamaecho! I think Whittier and New Market are great possibilities. I wasn't sure if they would be within our price range. I don't think Walkersville or Brunswick would be a fit for us.

I know there are some places to avoid on the west side of town, with the exception of areas around Yellow Springs, Clover Hill, Christopher's Crossing, etc.

What about the areas off of East St: Monocacy Villiage and Fredericktowne Village? Anyone know these? I havent had time to drive though there yet, but there's lots on the market.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:04 PM

I'm not sure about those. I don't know if I've ever heard of Monocacy Village.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:39 PM

11 posts, read 32,068 times
My wife and I and a 22 year old grandson are thinking of moving to Frederick, MD. How is it for interracially married couples? What is the best area to live? Price range for rental home is: $1200-1900.00. We would like to stay away from all the drama.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:36 PM

67 posts, read 236,209 times
Seamama - Home prices in Frederick ain't bad right now. And there are a LOT of places up for sale ... don't know about planned communities, I'm slightly allergic to HOAs.

Not sure about Fredericktowne or Monocacy Villages. I know where they are (actually not far from my place), and recall looking at a couple of houses in that area, but couldn't really speak to the neighborhoods themselves. I do know there is a terribly rundown shopping center at Monocacy Village as well as a couple of clsoed car lots.

Jwash - Can't speak definitively, but I see a fair number of mixed couples here, a couple of couples in my neighborhood, actually. Most seem to get along fine. One of the women who works for me is mixed and married to a black guy (living in Mt Airy) and they seem to be fine with the climate. Their circle of friends is pretty multi-culti.

I know every situation and every reaction may be a bit different, but generally, especially here in town, things are pretty tolerant. Just remember the adage a buddy of mine who is a Frederick native shared: "Every third guy in Frederick is an a-hole; don't be the third guy."

I suspect that as long as you're friendly, courteous and respectful, in most neighborhoods, you'll be treated accordingly. That's the way _I_ do business, anyway.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:36 PM

I would agree that I can't see it being an issue unless you some how make it an issue (by being a jerk lol) but it sounds like you aren't that way so that works

I would think that for 1900 you could rent just about anywhere in Frederick..

Here's a townhome in Urbana.. which is a very nice area
9506 WARD PL, FREDERICK, MD 21704 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-VILLAGES+OF+URBANA-FREDERICK-MD-MRIS-FR7233050 - broken link)

Here's on in Wellington Trace which is a nice planned community as well
6581 DUNCAN PL, FREDERICK, MD 21703 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-WELLINGTON+TRACE-FREDERICK-MD-MRIS-FR7335831 - broken link)

Old 05-31-2010, 03:22 PM

11 posts, read 32,068 times
Thanks for the heads up, cgordon & mamaecho ; Oh, by no means I'm I neither; I am conservative at times and a liberal at times. In Short- I don't make waves. I treat everyone like I like to be treated; respectfully. If someone needs a helping hand my wife and I are always there if needed. Of course; I know sometimes thats not always the best recourse; we tend to mind our on business, if that is the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick