Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 04:08 PM

4 posts, read 5,000 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Frederick. Is Wormans Mill a good area to consider? It looks very crowded, but the homes seem attractive and well cared for. Is it safe and secure? ... I am also interested in Willow Brook, which looks similar to Wormans Mill, but less crowded. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 08:11 AM

148 posts, read 369,728 times
I think both of these are nice areas. I had looked at a few homes for sale Worman's Mill around 2003 and liked the area and homes, but ended up buying a townhouse in the neighboring development instead. It was a well-maintained community, and I wouldn't say it was "crowded," but more densely built. I believe the focus was on nicer homes and smaller yards. Seemed that the residents were on the older side, more empty-nesters than young families. It was very safe at that time, and I would believe it still is.

I don't know much about Willow Brook other than where it is. It seems a little different than Worman's Mill to me.... more like a traditional development.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:32 AM

I realize that I used the word "crowded" because I live on 12 acres in open country now, and anything else seems crowded to me! 😉 I agree, densely built is probably the correct term! ... I am "mature" myself, so an older population would be fine, altough that is not a criteria. Thanks for your input!

Old 12-05-2018, 02:54 PM

73 posts, read 160,378 times
Willowbrook is a nice, older development of single family homes and townhomes, and has a community park. I'm guessing the lot sizes are 1/4-1/3 acre. It's a typical suburban family neighborhood. You will definitely have more young families and children here.

Wormans Mill is more like an unofficial active adult community. There's great diversity in home styles in different sections of the community; everything from apartments to condos to townhouse to villas to single families (some quite expensive). They're still building, but almost finished. Some of the older homes include yard/snow maintenance. It's very different aesthetically than Willowbrook. I'd say Wormans Mill has much more character. It's a lovely community and/but is almost adjacent to lots of recent commercial development. The good news is, getting to the highway (route 15) is easy and doesn't involve driving through the Walmart/Wegmans areas.

Both communities are in the city (i.e. city taxes) and have HOAs.

Spring Ridge and Clover Hill are nice, safe communities that are outside the city limits. Whittier is nice but is in the city.

All are relatively safe but it seems that car break-ins are happening everywhere.

Good luck!

Old 12-06-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflanagan View Post
Willowbrook is a nice, older development of single family homes and townhomes, and has a community park. I'm guessing the lot sizes are 1/4-1/3 acre. It's a typical suburban family neighborhood. You will definitely have more young families and children here.

Wormans Mill is more like an unofficial active adult community. There's great diversity in home styles in different sections of the community; everything from apartments to condos to townhouse to villas to single families (some quite expensive). They're still building, but almost finished. Some of the older homes include yard/snow maintenance. It's very different aesthetically than Willowbrook. I'd say Wormans Mill has much more character. It's a lovely community and/but is almost adjacent to lots of recent commercial development. The good news is, getting to the highway (route 15) is easy and doesn't involve driving through the Walmart/Wegmans areas.

Both communities are in the city (i.e. city taxes) and have HOAs.

Spring Ridge and Clover Hill are nice, safe communities that are outside the city limits. Whittier is nice but is in the city.

All are relatively safe but it seems that car break-ins are happening everywhere.

Good luck!
Excellent information! Thanks so much! The most appealing thing about Wormans Mill for me is the variety of sizes. I will be looking for a smaller house, and there seems to be a greater chance of finding one there. I do like Clover Hill, where I have friends, but the homes there and in many other developments are far larger than I need...

Old 12-06-2018, 08:24 AM

73 posts, read 160,378 times
You're welcome! There's something for everyone in Wormans Mill. We may end up there eventually. Almost all of the yards are small except for the estate homes - not sure if that's a positive or a negative for you. However, many of the homes are sited so that there's a more open feel, i.e. they aren't lined up like "little soldiers" in a straight line like you see in so many newer, grid-style communities. Good luck!

Old 12-06-2018, 09:39 AM

I like space, but not necessarily a lawn. Yes, I know, I need to live in the woods on a meadow, 🙄 and I do now, but I also have a lawn, and truthfully I am pretty much over mowing. It is almost time to return to "civilization" for health reasons too. I believe I will visit Wormans Mill again, and look into the smaller, less "lined up" homes there. This move will not take place for a while, (I hope) but I am being proactive, and I really do appreciate this forum, and your input, very much jflanagan! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
View detailed profiles of: