Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:02 AM

11 posts, read 95,961 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there's areas of Frederick that you should stay away from? I'm trying to figure out if it's safe there? Looking at possibly buying home in Frederick. It looks like there might be a lot of sex offenders registered in the area...however I think there's a lot of them everywhere you go anymore, very sad. Anyway, my main concern is safety and crime...anyone know if Frederick is safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 10:36 AM

15 posts, read 106,157 times
Avoid Hillcrest and the other areas around the Frederick Town Mall, avoid the Heather Ridge area and avoid Discovery (not technically in the city), there are a few other questionable areas within the city limits but these 3 areas get the most attention it seems. Otherwise Frederick is pretty safe for the most part.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:06 PM

38 posts, read 222,781 times
Default Frederick Neighborhoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinMD View Post
Avoid Hillcrest and the other areas around the Frederick Town Mall, avoid the Heather Ridge area and avoid Discovery (not technically in the city), there are a few other questionable areas within the city limits but these 3 areas get the most attention it seems. Otherwise Frederick is pretty safe for the most part.
Hi ScottinMD - Exactly where in Frederick are Hillcrest, Heather Ridge and Discovery? Is there such a thing as a neighborhood map for Frederick? If we were to look in the areas around Frederick Community College, Christophers Xing, Willowbrook Road and the area on Route 26 between Market Street and Woodsboro Pike, would we be looking in good neighborhoods?

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:53 PM

109 posts, read 469,653 times
areas on the edge of the city, such as Christophers Crossing, and Rosemont Avenue, Willowbrook Road are generally safer. Depending on the amount of money you are willing to spend, places like Clover Hill (which do not pay city taxes, but are within the boundaries of the city) and Ballanger Creek are very safe. Some suggestions would be look into places on Rosemont Ave., Yellow Springs Rd., Opposumtown Pike, as those places are anywhere from 1-5 minutes from major highways. If you would like neighborhood specific info just let me know which ones.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:24 PM

7,009 posts, read 11,304,621 times
I lived near Hillcrest Drive for years and had no problems. The area has a mix of Hispanic, White and Black residents which spooks some people and is probably why some people say to avoid it. I found no basis in reality for this belief. The elementary school in this area does not get high scores because of the large number of ESL students.

I would second the notion of staying away from the Fredericktowne mall area there were a couple of people in that area killed in drug fueled murders last year. Discovery is in Walkersville, there was a shooting there too this year, but I think the people shot were from Frederick.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:04 AM

11 posts, read 79,398 times
My husband works for the local police department and says not to look into the historic district, the crime there is unbelievable. He also says that there are many violent crimes happening in the Hillcrest area. If you aren't the type to hang out in the neighborhood and plan to stay inside and keep to yourself I wouldn't worry. Just make sure your house is locked up tight. And try to get a garage

Old 11-25-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I lived near Hillcrest Drive for years and had no problems. The area has a mix of Hispanic, White and Black residents which spooks some people and is probably why some people say to avoid it. I found no basis in reality for this belief. The elementary school in this area does not get high scores because of the large number of ESL students.

I would second the notion of staying away from the Fredericktowne mall area there were a couple of people in that area killed in drug fueled murders last year. Discovery is in Walkersville, there was a shooting there too this year, but I think the people shot were from Frederick.
westsideboy I have read a lot of your posts and you are usually very accurate, in this case though I would suggest that your experiences are a little out of date. Hillcrest is no longer a safe area to live, I lived there myself in the late 80's and I would not live there now. Gang related crime is becoming a serious problem in Hillcrest. I guess the area right on Butterfly lane is still pretty decent but I wouldn't want to live anywhere near Hillcrest or the mall. It is also worth noting that Frederick City just finished a 60 unit low income/public housing apartment building in Hillcrest. Discovery is actually not within the Walkersville town limits. The shooting there this year is only the tip of the problem, there have been 3 shootings in the last couple months in that area and they are all suspected to be drug and/or gang related. I live in Walkersville so I have become well informed about the problems in that area. Both the Discovery development and the Hillcrest area have gone down hill significantly over the last couple years due to HOPE IV. Frederick bulldozed the John Hanson apartments in the city and those residents have relocated to Discovery and Hillcrest.

E&MFlorida, the areas you described are nice areas, the Amber Meadows development near Frederick Community College is an older development and has had its problems but Christopher xing is pretty decent and the Clover hill area around the college is an older development but very nice. Dearbought and Wormans Mill on 26 are very nice newer neighborhoods.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:40 AM

I lived on Himes Ave. from 2002 till this summer. I shopped at the local Hispanic market and liquor store, ate at the restaurants and generally enjoyed living in a diverse and pretty active neighborhood. Granted, I never went out to hang with the Hombres working on their cars or perused the yard sales on those long lazy Saturday afternoons to get the "word on the street" nor did I check the police blotter every day. I can only speak from my experience, which as I said was a positive one.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I lived on Himes Ave. from 2002 till this summer. I shopped at the local Hispanic market and liquor store, ate at the restaurants and generally enjoyed living in a diverse and pretty active neighborhood. Granted, I never went out to hang with the Hombres working on their cars or perused the yard sales on those long lazy Saturday afternoons to get the "word on the street" nor did I check the police blotter every day. I can only speak from my experience, which as I said was a positive one.

I guess when I think of Hillcrest I think more of the area directly across from the Frederick Town Mall in the McCain Drive area. You are correct about Himes ave, I have some friends in that area and have never heard complain much. I guess I just don't really think of Himes Ave when I think of Hillcrest.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:47 PM

You could easily make the argument Himes Ave. has more in common with Ballenger Creek than Hillcrest. I know Himes is districted to Ballenger Creek Elementary not Hillcrest. I always told people I lived in the Hillcrest neighborhood. That is the way I drove to get into town, to shop, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick