Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 08:07 AM

3 posts, read 10,420 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am looking at relocating to Frederick for a job and need some recs for an affordable safe place to rent (about $1000 or less). When I read reviews about apartment complexes in Frederick there seems to be a lot of concerns about safety which has me a bit weary. I will only be there for about 9 months and then my job will move closer to the DC area. For that reason, I prefer to stay in Frederick, but if its more affordable/safe out of the city I would want to stay south. I am 30 and will be living on my own (well, with my cat). I am not too concerned about social life as it is a temporary move and I will be out of town or having my bf visit from Pittsburgh most weekends, however it would be great to be close to a gym and a restaurant or two.

Any help or recs on apartments or areas to live would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 03:24 PM

244 posts, read 575,155 times
If you look off the area of Ballenger Creek Pike or off Rt 15 near 7th street you should be ok. Just stay away from Rt. 40 (behind the mall). If you use Google Maps you should be able to see where I am talking about.

Or, you could look downtown Frederick and see if there are any short term rentals. You should be fine on North Market Street near Patrick Street. I know someone who lives near Winchester Hall in an apartment and she loves it! Again, google maps can help you find these places and it'll give you a great overview of what the topography is like and what is nearby for you to enjoy!

Old 01-15-2012, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 7,571 times
Frederick is really a very safe city. I would avoid anything behind Fredericktowne mall but aside from that I'm sure you can find something safe and comfortable. Downtown frederick has a lot of nice historic properties that are for rent and that whole area is walkable.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:45 PM

Great! Thanks so much. I am keeping my fingers crossed I can find something downtown. From what I've read that seems to be the best bet.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:22 PM

18 posts, read 41,509 times
Ballenger Creek area is awesome. I pay 770 a month at Princeton Court right off of Crestwood boulevard. I have no safety concerns whatsoever, neighbors are nice, access to ANYTHING you need in less than 10 minutes (270 for commuting or backroads to avoid the traffic!), movie theaters, bars, stores, etc. There is some ambient noise from 270 but it's not bad.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,412 times
I love Crystal Park Apartments, though they're on the expensive side. The neighborhood is extremely quiet, safe, clean, and the staff has been nothing but helpful. I'd consider it more of a last resort though because of the cost.

Just make sure to do your research -- a lot of the $800 or so apartments are in unsafe or unpleasant areas (though I've read good things about Princeton Court, mentioned above). And be careful with anything downtown. There are some terrific apartments there and some real unsavory ones. I "toured" one once that had a living room about the size of my wingspan and bedroom just large enough for a mattress on a street I wouldn't feel particularly safe walking at night. If you go downtown, aim for right in the center rather than any of the fringe streets -- those are shady.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 AM

Buell86 and ajb3313.... Thanks so much! I will look into each of those, and I will certainly make sure I give a good check through to any apartments downtown. Thanks for the FYI on the fringe streets, being in a new place I hope to avoid all things shady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
View detailed profiles of: