Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:53 AM

5 posts, read 7,557 times

Advertisements

I didn't read all the way through this but I thought I'd answer your questions pretty briefly if I can...

1. Frederick county is pretty open minded about homosexuality. I really don't think that would be a problem at all with the exception of some of the more rural towns as a PP mentioned. With that said, even some of THEM are very open minded. Middletown and Burkittsville in particular come to mind in that regard.

2. Politically I disagree with the PP who said it was 50/50... I am very middle of the road (ie. not liberal per say) but I get very frustrated that really right wing republicans win every election in this county with the exception of some more democratic leaning city elections (Burkittsville again, for instance.) In my experience all you have to do to win an election here is to register with the GOP.

3. as for a job with the FCPS it doesn't hurt to look of course but I know in recent years they have been doing a lot of hiring freezes and layoffs. Most of the jobs that open up go to teachers already within the FCPS system. However, Frederick county is commutable to schools in Washington, Carroll, Montgomery, and Howard counties in MD and Loudoun county VA, Jefferson County WV, and Franklin (I think) county in PA... so you could widen your search and see if those counties are hiring more if FCPS doesn't work out. I know of three LCPS (VA) teachers in my town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 04:03 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,992,915 times
I just got my teaching license transferred to Maryland so now its a waiting game... I've literally applied to nearly every county in MD so hopefully I'll hear something soon. Planning on moving back tentatively in May

Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 PM

389 posts, read 797,536 times
Thanks for keeping us updated. I really hope everything works out for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Recognition of same sex marriages from other states is just one example of our liberal government. However, I would expect the legalization of same sex marriages in Maryland by the time you get here. Everyone thought it was going to pass earlier this year and it did come very close. This is an issue that the governor and lieutenant governor are pushing very hard and it will be brought up in the state legislature every session until it passes (to be honest, it's probably going to happen within the next year).
^I told you so! (although it is likely going to end up as a voter referendum).

Old 02-27-2012, 08:03 AM

148 posts, read 370,050 times
Good luck! But bring your patience.... the school systems often wait until the last minute to hire new teachers. While some new teachers are hired early in the summer, it's not uncommon for positions to be offered right before the school year begins in August. I think the schools wait to see how many current teachers will be leaving, and it's not until they decide to leave that a position opens. I've also known teachers to be hired after the school year actually begins, if there is an unexpected opening or need for additional teaching staff.

Hopefully you will know sooner rather than later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I just got my teaching license transferred to Maryland so now its a waiting game... I've literally applied to nearly every county in MD so hopefully I'll hear something soon. Planning on moving back tentatively in May

Old 02-29-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Thanks for keeping us updated. I really hope everything works out for you!

^I told you so! (although it is likely going to end up as a voter referendum).
Yeahhhh, and it also doesn't take effect until Jan 2013 even if it passes that referendum. Regardless... We're going to DC in June after we get back East and getting hitched... At least Maryland will recognize our union.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackDogs View Post
Good luck! But bring your patience.... the school systems often wait until the last minute to hire new teachers. While some new teachers are hired early in the summer, it's not uncommon for positions to be offered right before the school year begins in August. I think the schools wait to see how many current teachers will be leaving, and it's not until they decide to leave that a position opens. I've also known teachers to be hired after the school year actually begins, if there is an unexpected opening or need for additional teaching staff.

Hopefully you will know sooner rather than later!
I've kinda gathered that

I just wish I knew where we were going to end up so we could just get there, set up shop... learn the area... etc Hopefully since I've applied so early I'll find out in early summer or earlier.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:20 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,100,457 times
I just found this site so Don't know if you're still looking. My wife recently retired from FCPS. A year ago we had the countries 'Teacher of the Year'. It is a good system to work in but right now there is a vocal tea party contingent in the area that doesn't seem to value education and doesn't want to pay for it. A year ago we had the countries 'Teacher of the Year'.They elected a vocal radio personality and several cohorts to the Board of County commissioners who seem to take pride in their 'redneckness' I don't think it represents the true feelings of the region but Frederick County is relatively conservative for Maryland. I have a Gay relative who feels comfortable with the friends he grew up with in the area and would like to get married around here but chooses to live 'down the road' closer to where he works in the Rockville/Gaithersburg area because it is easier to blend in. I would suggest that the Middletown/Myersville/Burketsville side of the county is more flexible than the Thurmont/Rocky Ridge/Lewistown side of the county. For years Rocky Ridge was known as the home of the Klan in MD. Sad and hopefully getting better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick