Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 11:18 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,953,680 times

Advertisements

What are ur takes ppl what can be done??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:52 PM

389 posts, read 797,536 times
I think the MARC train should run every 20 minutes all day every day. Not too sure if that's really a possibility but it would provide convenience for people that want to get to DC when it's not a regular commuting time or, you know, on the weekends. It would also provide comfort for train riders in knowing that they can be running an hour behind in getting to Union Station and they still won't end up stranded in DC. People are always clamoring for a Metro extension to Frederick, but Frederick is 50 miles northwest of DC. It's really at more of a "commuter rail" distance. Heck, most subway systems don't even go out as far as the Metro does now. You don't see the subway going to Danbury, do you? Nope. That's Metro-North territory. So that's my take on the situation. Other than that, I don't know. Is there is a local transit system (like buses) that travels around Fred Co?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:27 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
I think the MARC train should run every 20 minutes all day every day. Not too sure if that's really a possibility but it would provide convenience for people that want to get to DC when it's not a regular commuting time or, you know, on the weekends. It would also provide comfort for train riders in knowing that they can be running an hour behind in getting to Union Station and they still won't end up stranded in DC. People are always clamoring for a Metro extension to Frederick, but Frederick is 50 miles northwest of DC. It's really at more of a "commuter rail" distance. Heck, most subway systems don't even go out as far as the Metro does now. You don't see the subway going to Danbury, do you? Nope. That's Metro-North territory. So that's my take on the situation. Other than that, I don't know. Is there is a local transit system (like buses) that travels around Fred Co?
Peak Service Every 20mins and Off Peak Service every hour will come sometime by 2030. The Metro will never come to Fredrick....if it did it would be slow since the Metro cars are limited to 70mph , where as the MARC Diesel and Electric trains can hit 90/130mph.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
YES there is a local bus system in federick And I am asking you what is wrong with it that's all.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Peak Service Every 20mins and Off Peak Service every hour will come sometime by 2030. The Metro will never come to Fredrick....if it did it would be slow since the Metro cars are limited to 70mph , where as the MARC Diesel and Electric trains can hit 90/130mph.
2030 is too long there needs to be a more direct MARC line or service.
The current MARC twists and turns

Old 10-05-2011, 02:34 PM

342 posts, read 1,555,052 times
Dream on about service every 20 minutes. You understand MARC operates on a freight railroad. Americans opted for the rubber tire many years ago.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtownfunlover View Post
Dream on about service every 20 minutes. You understand MARC operates on a freight railroad. Americans opted for the rubber tire many years ago.
even if that was so the 991 bus is still faster

Old 12-03-2011, 05:52 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,243,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Do you ever have a grasp of the reality of a situation when you post your statements on future rail transit, Nexis4Jersey? The MARC Brunswick Line operates on a fairly active CSX freight rail line; I should know because I live within a few hundred feet of that line in Silver Spring and see/hear freight trains passing by many times per day. The freight traffic would be even heavier near Frederick, or more accurately heavier north and west of the location where CSX's line to Baltimore merges with CSX's line to Washington. I don't think there's any way CSX will allow dramatically increased service on the line without the state of Maryland funding capacity expansions. Heck as it is, it's somewhat amazing CSX allows the state of Maryland to operate MARC trains on the line at all. (On a related note, I'll add that CSX provides the crews for the MARC Brunswick Line, so any service increases would require CSX to provide more crews or the state of Maryland to hire direct workers and have them coordinate with CSX.)

MARC Brunswick Line service will never have 20 minute headways, primarily because of what I said above but also because the passenger levels almost definitely wouldn't warrant it. (It is possible the Brunswick Line could have off-peak and/or weekend service in the future, but MTA Maryland would need to find ways to work with and accommodate CSX needs.) The Metro Red Line was built all the way out to Shady Grove for a reason, to attract commuters coming from points north along I-270 (and hence Shady Grove has a huge park-and-ride lot). Actually, it is probably more likely in the future that the Red Line would be extended to Gaithersburg or possibly Germantown than it would be for MARC Brunswick Line service levels to dramatically increase.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Do you ever have a grasp of the reality of a situation when you post your statements on future rail transit, Nexis4Jersey? The MARC Brunswick Line operates on a fairly active CSX freight rail line; I should know because I live within a few hundred feet of that line in Silver Spring and see/hear freight trains passing by many times per day. The freight traffic would be even heavier near Frederick, or more accurately heavier north and west of the location where CSX's line to Baltimore merges with CSX's line to Washington. I don't think there's any way CSX will allow dramatically increased service on the line without the state of Maryland funding capacity expansions. Heck as it is, it's somewhat amazing CSX allows the state of Maryland to operate MARC trains on the line at all. (On a related note, I'll add that CSX provides the crews for the MARC Brunswick Line, so any service increases would require CSX to provide more crews or the state of Maryland to hire direct workers and have them coordinate with CSX.)

MARC Brunswick Line service will never have 20 minute headways, primarily because of what I said above but also because the passenger levels almost definitely wouldn't warrant it. (It is possible the Brunswick Line could have off-peak and/or weekend service in the future, but MTA Maryland would need to find ways to work with and accommodate CSX needs.) The Metro Red Line was built all the way out to Shady Grove for a reason, to attract commuters coming from points north along I-270 (and hence Shady Grove has a huge park-and-ride lot). Actually, it is probably more likely in the future that the Red Line would be extended to Gaithersburg or possibly Germantown than it would be for MARC Brunswick Line service levels to dramatically increase.
haha funny but you do realize the guy you are talking to has ZERO grasp of reality!!!!!!! The MTA just unleashed 201 line a full time 7-day a week bus that goes to gaithersburg. Plus the ride-on 100 goes to germantown and is also 7 days AND VERY FREQUENT WITH HOV immunity!!!!!!

I think the only way to enhance MARC would be to run mixed trains with CSX where there is a divider car then half is freight the other half passenger thus reducing the cost of implementation and allowing the lines to run at a profit.

Also some rail lines in carroll and federick county can see rail service via these ways run HS trolleys on em like SEPTA'S 100 norristown line OR

convert them to superbus tracks for suber buses to speed up service along the lines suuperbuses can get off the tracks to become regular buses they look like limos!!!!

OR run PRT vehicles on em using very low power.

IF all those tracks are active lines then mixed trains could be a last resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick