Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 11,343 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to Frederick, MD in the next couple months. I don't really know anything about the area, my husband is getting transfered for his job. We will most likely rent a house or apartment for the first year or so. We are looking for a nice area in Frederick, with a good school district. My daughter will be starting Kindergarden in the Fall. We also have a 20 month old daughter. Would really appreciate all your input! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 07:45 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnellen82 View Post
My family and I will be moving to Frederick, MD in the next couple months. I don't really know anything about the area, my husband is getting transfered for his job. We will most likely rent a house or apartment for the first year or so. We are looking for a nice area in Frederick, with a good school district. My daughter will be starting Kindergarden in the Fall. We also have a 20 month old daughter. Would really appreciate all your input! Thanks in advance!
As with everything, it depends on your budget. Most school zones and feeder patterns are decent to excellent in Frederick County. But your budget and rent expectations will determine where in Frederick you will live or even if you can afford to live in Frederick at all.

Without having any of this information, the only overarching statement I can make is stay away from the proliferation of apartment complexes along Key Parkway which runs parallel with US Route 40 about a quartermile to the north. It was just a bad idea to cluster all of those apartments in one area and the elementary school is not that great. Diversity can be good but not at the expense of almost the entire English as a Second Language elementary school age population of Frederick living in one zone.

But outside of that, Frederick County Public Schools are good all in all. Feeder patterns in Urbana, Linganore, and Middletown have excellent schools but housing costs will be high as there are not a lot of rentals in these relatively upper-middle income areas. Walkersville is decent as well but also not a lot of rental communities. You are most likely to find rental opportunities within the city of Frederick but once again your income will determine where you can rent and in which school zone you will reside.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:19 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Without having any of this information, the only overarching statement I can make is stay away from the proliferation of apartment complexes along Key Parkway which runs parallel with US Route 40 about a quartermile to the north. It was just a bad idea to cluster all of those apartments in one area and the elementary school is not that great. Diversity can be good but not at the expense of almost the entire English as a Second Language elementary school age population of Frederick living in one zone.
That's kind of interesting. How many elementary schools cater to downtown Frederick? Just curious.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:08 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's kind of interesting. How many elementary schools cater to downtown Frederick? Just curious.
Pretty much just Lincoln and North Frederick. Hillcrest and Waverly might be schools of concern however.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:52 PM

244 posts, read 572,973 times
Steelers 10 is right. However, if your hubby is working in Frederick you can live in Middletown (off of Alt 40) awesome schools, check out GreatSchools.org Search: middletown ) and he will only have to drive 10-20 minutes depending on where you live/he works. Middletown Primary is a great school (K-2) and is only 4 years old. Very high tech, clean, great staff, safe and is a 10 in my opinion if they had the ratings for MPS on greatschools.org yet. Myersville is another quaint town about 5-8 minutes beyond Middletown towards the west part of Frederick Co. Their elementary school is small, older but a great school and they feed into Middletown.
Stay away from: Hillcrest, Waverly, Lincoln Elementary.
Where I'd send my children (I have 3): Middletown, Urbana, Linganore, Brunswick are safe high schools/feeder schools.

Regarding Renting: Middletown has one apartment complex that is right across from the Middletown Primary school...they are called Chesterfield Apartments. However, there are numerous houses and apartments in older victorian houses you can rent.
As for Frederick, I would stay away from where Steelers10 said and concentrate on staying outside the city, preferably on the west side, near I-270. Urbana is a very nice area, but expensive. Spring Ridge has an ok elementary school and numerous townhouse rentals. They are off of I-70.
Let us know if you have any other questions!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:19 PM

461 posts, read 1,283,813 times
The quality of schools in Frederick County is great, I can't think of one "bad school" with bad teachers,etc. So for that, any school would work. But if you want your kids to be in a school that is not majority free and reduced meals, has decent behaved kids who want to learn and actually be there, etc. then I'd look outside of inner Frederick City, and places like Middletown, New Market, Thurmont, or maybe some of the schools in South Frederick.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:42 PM

54 posts, read 175,062 times
You could also come east toward Carroll County & the Mt. Airy area. Very family friendly, excellent schools & just a short commute into Frederick.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:42 PM

244 posts, read 572,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandkrab View Post
You could also come east toward Carroll County & the Mt. Airy area. Very family friendly, excellent schools & just a short commute into Frederick.

This is true, and the plus, you will be on a major highway against traffic if you commute from Carroll County into Frederick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick