Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there a Cancer Cluster around Frederick - yes or no?
Yes 4 44.44%
No 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,337,966 times

Advertisements

What's up with the news about Fort Detrick in Frederick Maryland being a Cancer Cluster?

Is that something that is well-known in the region?

Evidence doesn't seem conclusive one way or the other...what do think? Cancer cluster in Frederick, or no cancer cluster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 10:03 AM

7,137 posts, read 11,428,130 times
I haven't seen any evidence to support it, so I vote no. Although there are lots of nasty bio and chem agents in and around that area.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:05 PM

396 posts, read 1,108,205 times
Cancer cluster in Poolesville (Montgomery county)
County to study possible cancer cluster

Cancer cluster: Fort Detrick
Maryland health department expands Fort Detrick cancer cluster investigation (video) | TBD.com

Frederick County Health Dept official website re: cancer cluster
Frederick County, MD - Official Website - Cancer Cluster Investigation Status Report

I don't live there, but am trying to figure out if we should buy a house in Maryland or just rent. The Gazette is a pretty decent source of local MD info, much of which does not get reported in the Wash Post.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:20 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,337,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnielisabeth View Post
Cancer cluster in Poolesville (Montgomery county)
County to study possible cancer cluster
Poolesville as well. I'll have to make a note of that.

------

Frederick. Regarding if it is a cancer clusters or not..it is intersting knowing that quite a few people in this area have got cancer more than other places.

Most concerning to me, is that Fort Detrick is right in the city, and it seems to be a 1-mile radius which is in question. That basically seems like ALL of downtown in Frederick is therefore in question.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 13,705 times
I read somewhere that the Washington Post was an Agent Orange research site for about 20 years. Anybody think it strange that a cancer cluster is there. The EPA added Fort Detrick to the National Priority List based on chemicals in the drinking well water. Interesting

Old 07-29-2011, 09:24 AM

407 posts, read 1,268,130 times
It isn't just in those places in MD. We lived in Annapolis for 12 years and I was diagnosed with stage 2 colon cancer after living there for 5 years. Had not been to the doctor, not even a cold in 25 years prior to that diagnosis. I have a clean bill of health now, but that is only due to catching it early and having great doctors.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:36 AM

7,137 posts, read 11,428,130 times
I just read the PDF from the most recent presentation of data gathered by Frederick County in regard to the cancer cluster (see link in bonnielisabeth's post) The report showed that there was NO increase in cancer rates when comparing the census tracts around Ft. Detrick to Frederick County at large or the state of Maryland. In fact some of the cancer rates in the tracts around Detrick were LOWER than the county or state average.

The best description I have ever heard about cancer - "Cancer is what kills you when nothing else does."

Old 10-24-2011, 01:30 PM

3 posts, read 9,592 times
I can tell you that dogs in the Ft. Detrick area have a higher cancer rate that any dogs in other areas of MD. I used to work at animal control and I have seen it. I can not affirm any correlation on the human aspect. I have lived in the Frederick area for 20 years and the cancer "thing" has always been a hot topic! The best bit of info I can give you is, do not drink the water, buy bottled or have it delivered.... and do not buy any produce that is grown local.....

Old 10-25-2011, 07:01 AM

3 posts, read 13,705 times
Default Fort Detrick Cancer Cluster???

While there seems to be inconclusive evidence whether it Fort Detrick is a cancer cluster site, doesn't the fact that the area used to an Agent Orange testing site make it seem that statement is an oxymoron. This article seems to dispute the fact. Anyone living in the area and that have been affected may want to read this article.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:12 PM

45,632 posts, read 61,058,911 times
Yes, it's well known.

Generally, MD as a whole has a slightly above average rate for cancers of all types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick