Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:18 PM

81 posts, read 294,332 times

Advertisements

We are looking to live in South Fort Worth. Are there any nice, safe, neighborhoods?
By nice I mean: Clean, low crime, friendly, sidewalks through out, stores, local library, restaurants, parks, etc.

Last edited by jer2911; 06-25-2009 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 08:39 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
working in Glen Rose --live in Glen Rose
Aledo schools are better than Glen Rose or Granbury--there is SE part of Aledo off 377 north of Granbury but amenities are not there--mainly rural living

SW FTW/around Hulen Mall, Benbrook area west of 377/I-35/Crowley area...
FTW to Glen Rose is an hour each way and probably more depending on traffic/time of day...
housing depends on price--you don't mention--some areas older, some newer
just depends as to sidewalks, other amenities like libraries...
but that is a long way to drive

Old 06-25-2009, 09:04 PM

Yeah, I know it's a far commute, but we are city folks (Chicago). My husband may be taking a job at the Nuclear plant. Rural living is out of the question, you know?

Hmm
Commuting totally stinks

Old 06-26-2009, 05:04 AM

11,864 posts, read 26,907,147 times
An hour each way at $2.44 a gallon gets REALLY expensive... Not to mention that your husband will never be home or have family time during the week. You can go into Fort Worth on the weekends.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:29 AM

Yeah, but living in a super small town just isn't an option for us. He'd rather do the commute. Are there any towns somewhere in between that aren't really rural?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:12 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,894,449 times
Burleson? That might work. (it's a suburb and growing, traffic can bit bad, but you will closer to city life etc...)
Cleburne is small but growing and not as small as Glen Rose.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:40 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,620,110 times
I knew a few people who worked at the plant several years ago. They all lived in Benbrook at the time. They said it was close enough to everything they wanted as far as daily shopping, eating and entertainment, including the lake. Yet it was also close enough to the nightlife in Fort Worth or Dallas for the occasional night on the town, while still keeping them with a decent commute to the plant.

I don't know about sidewalks and being walkable in Benbrook, but Hulen Mall and all the surrounding shopping is not far at all from most of Benbrook if the local shopping isn't quite enough.

There are all kinds of people who commute back and forth between Granbury and Fort Worth, living in either place and working in the other direction, and 377 is a straight shot between. So that commute isn't too bad. Generally it's less than 30 minutes.

Burleson or crowley are other options too, yet the both still have a much more rural feel than Benbrook, so it may be still too small town for your tastes.

Just south of 820 there are many areas that might fit your family......between Hulen and 35.

There really are so many places to choose from that you might be better off renting until you know the area better, then choose.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I knew a few people who worked at the plant several years ago. They all lived in Benbrook at the time. They said it was close enough to everything they wanted as far as daily shopping, eating and entertainment, including the lake. Yet it was also close enough to the nightlife in Fort Worth or Dallas for the occasional night on the town, while still keeping them with a decent commute to the plant.

I don't know about sidewalks and being walkable in Benbrook, but Hulen Mall and all the surrounding shopping is not far at all from most of Benbrook if the local shopping isn't quite enough.

There are all kinds of people who commute back and forth between Granbury and Fort Worth, living in either place and working in the other direction, and 377 is a straight shot between. So that commute isn't too bad. Generally it's less than 30 minutes.

Burleson or crowley are other options too, yet the both still have a much more rural feel than Benbrook, so it may be still too small town for your tastes.

Just south of 820 there are many areas that might fit your family......between Hulen and 35.

There really are so many places to choose from that you might be better off renting until you know the area better, then choose.
Thanks for all your feedback everyone!
Thanks Hypocore! We are def. gonna rent before buying to get a feel for the area. I'll google map that benbrrok right now to see what it looks like.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
and while Aledo is more spread out/rural because it is large...Aledo is growing the downtown (what passes for downtown) and most people would probably say the schools are better than Granbury/Burleson/Benbrook -- which is part of FTW ISD--

if you have children, schools should be your primary concern...because the economic slump is catching up to TX significantly in the ISD area--some districts are suffering more than others...
Crowley is one--have not read that much about Burleson having problems or Aledo but that is due more to how my paper organizes/presents news--not there those ISDs don't have problems...
so you should check what FTW ISD schools would be in the Benbrook area you are checking out or if there is different ISD--maybe White Settlement or Aledo...
ISDs are not tied to city limits or county limits in TX...

I would disagree with Hypocore about the commute from Granbury to FTW...
my husband has someone who had house on the river around Granbury --Acton I think--so it might have been in DeCordovan Bend or someplace close--and he hated the commute...
it was more like 45 min each way--
frankly it is a 30 min drive in the middle of the day just to go from Hulen area TO Granbury Sq for shopping...
Burleson has more retail that is probably better choice than Granbury--there is Kohls there I think now and stores like Ross...which I don't think Granbury has...
think Burleson might have better movie theater than Granbury as well...but that is not from personal knowledge...

Old 06-27-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
and while Aledo is more spread out/rural because it is large...Aledo is growing the downtown (what passes for downtown) and most people would probably say the schools are better than Granbury/Burleson/Benbrook -- which is part of FTW ISD--

if you have children, schools should be your primary concern...because the economic slump is catching up to TX significantly in the ISD area--some districts are suffering more than others...
Crowley is one--have not read that much about Burleson having problems or Aledo but that is due more to how my paper organizes/presents news--not there those ISDs don't have problems...
so you should check what FTW ISD schools would be in the Benbrook area you are checking out or if there is different ISD--maybe White Settlement or Aledo...
ISDs are not tied to city limits or county limits in TX...

I would disagree with Hypocore about the commute from Granbury to FTW...
my husband has someone who had house on the river around Granbury --Acton I think--so it might have been in DeCordovan Bend or someplace close--and he hated the commute...
it was more like 45 min each way--
frankly it is a 30 min drive in the middle of the day just to go from Hulen area TO Granbury Sq for shopping...
Burleson has more retail that is probably better choice than Granbury--there is Kohls there I think now and stores like Ross...which I don't think Granbury has...
think Burleson might have better movie theater than Granbury as well...but that is not from personal knowledge...
What does ISD stand for?
Yeah, we have children so schools are important in the long run. They are young right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth