Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 06:39 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,959,396 times

Advertisements

This is the FIRST time this company has laid off anyone in their entire history. I never, ever thought Alcon would lay people off; it's something they have prided themselves in over the years.

Alcon laying off 260, half in Fort Worth | Business | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/business/story/1198153.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 07:20 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,971,020 times
not all the people are in FTW--but yeah--cosidering the business they are in, contacts and contact solution seem pretty stable...
they just don't want to see a loss on their bottom line that would drop stock prices IMO--admin staff bonuses are always tied to stock prices...I am sure they could weather a bad year w/o laying off anyone even if they cut back on salaries--apparently that option was not on the table

Old 02-14-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
not all the people are in FTW--but yeah--cosidering the business they are in, contacts and contact solution seem pretty stable...
they just don't want to see a loss on their bottom line that would drop stock prices IMO--admin staff bonuses are always tied to stock prices...I am sure they could weather a bad year w/o laying off anyone even if they cut back on salaries--apparently that option was not on the table
I worked there for five years and left only to pursue other opportunities; the turnover there was so low that it was hard to advance.

I wonder if anyone that I knew was laid off. It's a difficult scenario out there. I've been out of work for 2+ months with nothing, absolutely nothing on the horizon. Soon, we'll be out of money and I don't know what lies beyond. It's seriously stressful.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:26 PM

307 posts, read 1,182,451 times
What do you do?

Old 02-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
What do you do?
I am a Writer, primarily marketing and business.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:16 PM

37,313 posts, read 59,971,020 times
did not know that Synopsis--sorry to hear it
you have not been wearing your heart on your sleeve--no mention before that I am aware of

my son was laid off last month--he was curriculum writer for company that was into web-based e-learning
mainly for hospitals and medical firms...
he does not really have tech background or business background--he was in teaching and has MA in English--so he is finding almost nothing posted that fits his background either...

have you tried dice.com
sometimes postings there for writers--but more likely technical side...

Old 02-14-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
did not know that Synopsis--sorry to hear it
you have not been wearing your heart on your sleeve--no mention before that I am aware of

my son was laid off last month--he was curriculum writer for company that was into web-based e-learning
mainly for hospitals and medical firms...
he does not really have tech background or business background--he was in teaching and has MA in English--so he is finding almost nothing posted that fits his background either...

have you tried dice.com
sometimes postings there for writers--but more likely technical side...
I'm both a technical and non-technical writer loves2read. Thank you very much for your kindness and support. Lately I've had a hard time getting motivated. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth