Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2021, 01:49 AM

13 posts, read 15,398 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are finally moving to the DFW area next month (transfer was delayed due to COVID). Anyway, I'll be working at either our Irving or Grand Prairie locations. She'll be working from home. So far, we haven't had success securing a single-family home. We keep missing out on nice rental properties in our desired areas even with a realtor's help (they are snatched up very quickly in this market). This has happened in Arlington, Irving, Euless, Hurst, Grand Prairie, and Bedford.

So we've decided to expand our search to the eastern side of Fort Worth. Is this a tolerable drive for someone who will commute during rush hours? I'm trying not to be in traffic for more than 40 minutes one way. If it is, what areas of eastern FW would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 06:29 AM

1,158 posts, read 961,732 times
Get a better realtor.. Live close to where you work is my advice unless you enjoy spending hours in your car....Traffic is terrible here. Add 30 minutes to an hour to your commute anytime it rains. I used to drive from Fort Worth to Irving 14 years ago and it was soul sucking then. I can't imagine how bad it is now with all the people who have moved here.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:45 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
East Fort Worth is a fairly high crime area. I seriously doubt you’ll find a good place to live there.

I agree you need to get a better realtor.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:46 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,217,727 times
The only place I'd live in East Fort Worth is the few gated communities of million + homes. The Meadowcreek community, which is full of lovely older homes on nice size lots with huge mature trees is starting to turn around but it's not there yet.

I used to live in North Arlington and far north Grand Prairie and commute to Las Colinas. The commute wasn't great and it's only getting worse. The construction at 30/360 doesn't help. It's far overdue but it's making it awful in the meantime.

Before you search some more you need to:

1. Figure out which site you'll be at.
2. Try the commutes from different areas
3. Get a more knowledgeable and more aggressive realtor.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:56 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,687,302 times
Rental in East Fort Worth?

Nahhhhhhh.

Not a good plan.

Old 11-24-2021, 02:04 PM

13 posts, read 15,398 times
Wow! Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm glad I posted here since our realtor has started showing us properties in east Fort Worth. The two we saw today were in areas that looked run down, even the houses themselves were nice. We told her no on those. I won't know until next week my exact work location, but I'll wait until then to decide where to move. We're coming from Atlanta so we're used to terrible traffic, but we're tired of it. Safety and peace are also really important.

I've been told to stay away from the Grand Prairie area, so I'm not sure what we'll do if I end working there. Decisions, decisions.

Old 11-24-2021, 05:02 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Get a better realtor
The burglar bars on east Fort Worth houses are not ornamental.

North Grand Prairie can be rough, too:

Old 11-25-2021, 03:04 PM

197 posts, read 229,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
East Fort Worth is a fairly high crime area. I seriously doubt you’ll find a good place to live there.

I agree you need to get a better realtor.
The River Trails area is technically east Fort Worth (inside FW city limits), but is north of the West Fork Trinity River with HEBISD schools. For the latter reason people often think of River Trails as part of the HEB area, but I feel like I would be more comfortable in Hurst, Euless, or Bedford proper considering that I've had issues with police/emergency service response times in Fort Worth in the past. I'm not sure of the crime situation in River Trails, but it seems like a "typical" suburban Fort Worth development with single-family homes; although, I believe it is also on the Trinity floodplain.

As for the situation south of the river, I do know that it seems to be a pretty area (scenery-wise) that suffers from east Fort Worth's reputation. I've heard of crime affecting the Woodhaven area, despite there being some nice homes there. Randol Mill east of I-820 even has a quasi-rural feel in places (though there are some subdivisions being developed), which is crazy to think about for somewhere in the middle of the DFW Metroplex; it does make sense, however, when you remember that it's on the Trinity floodplain, however.

I would still be wary of east Fort Worth, however. I would prefer living somewhere like Arlington, HEB, North Richland Hills, or even parts of Haltom City (perhaps not the southernmost part).

Old 11-25-2021, 09:09 PM

12 posts, read 9,428 times
What is your budget? There is house on Tinker Rd. Colleyville, TX up for lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth