Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 09:38 PM

577 posts, read 457,020 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Fort Worth mainly beacuse my significant other currently lives in the Magnolia area. I'm currently living in Dallas (Oak Lawn, to be specific), so this wouldn't be a big move for me, but I thought it would be a fun excuse to explore more of Fort Worth and also be closer to the SO.

I'm currently leaning towards Downtown Fort Worth for the following reasons:
- Proximity to Trinity River Trails (this is very important to me)
- Walkable/urban lifestyle
- Best public transportation options
- Access to Magnolia area (seems easy to take the bus or bike to Magnolia from Downtown)
- Great TRE access which would make my occasional trips back to Dallas easy/fun

Honestly, I enjoy the Magnolia area the most and can see myself hanging out there a lot, but the fact that it doesn't have good access to the Trinity River trails makes it a deal breaker for me. West 7th looks like it has a lot going on and also has great trail access, but the public transportation options don't seem as good, and it seems slightly less convenient to Magnolia and Dallas.

Based on my criteria, is Downtown a good fit for me, and are there specific apartments you can recommend? I currently have my eye on the Historic Electric building, which seems like it's in a great location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 05:03 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Do you have to commute somewhere for work?

Old 04-02-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Do you have to commute somewhere for work?
I work from home, so that is not a factor for me.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:47 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I can tell you that West 7th has a lot more going on in it than downtown. It's much more walkable to lots of restaurants, Super Target or the Tom Thumb for groceries, and the cultural district. As you said, the Trinity Trails are right there, too.

Aside from Sundance Square and restaurant row, downtown gets a little quiet at night. There aren't as many bars and restaurants in downtown as in West 7th, and you'd have a longer walk to the grocery store, too. I used to work in Burnett Plaza, right across the street from the Historic Electric Building. Burnett Park is really nice, and people from that apartment building frequently go over there to walk their dogs and spend time outside.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend walking from downtown to Magnolia. First, it is a longer walk than you likely think it is. Second, there is a very large homeless shelter on Lancaster just south of I-30, and the people from this shelter frequently hang out on Lancaster and Vickery, and they are known to harass people on foot. At night, the industrial Southside area is pretty deserted and dark. Third, if you chose to ride a bike, avoid Henderson street going under I-30. The street is very narrow, and you'd be riding in the traffic lane, which would be rather dangerous.

I really can't say anything about public transit in downtown vs. West 7th to Magnolia since I have never had a reason to use it. I have ridden Molly the Trolley from the ITS station to Burnett Plaza, and also to Sundance Square at lunch, and it was very nice.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I can tell you that West 7th has a lot more going on in it than downtown. It's much more walkable to lots of restaurants, Super Target or the Tom Thumb for groceries, and the cultural district. As you said, the Trinity Trails are right there, too.

Aside from Sundance Square and restaurant row, downtown gets a little quiet at night. There aren't as many bars and restaurants in downtown as in West 7th, and you'd have a longer walk to the grocery store, too. I used to work in Burnett Plaza, right across the street from the Historic Electric Building. Burnett Park is really nice, and people from that apartment building frequently go over there to walk their dogs and spend time outside.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend walking from downtown to Magnolia. First, it is a longer walk than you likely think it is. Second, there is a very large homeless shelter on Lancaster just south of I-30, and the people from this shelter frequently hang out on Lancaster and Vickery, and they are known to harass people on foot. At night, the industrial Southside area is pretty deserted and dark. Third, if you chose to ride a bike, avoid Henderson street going under I-30. The street is very narrow, and you'd be riding in the traffic lane, which would be rather dangerous.

I really can't say anything about public transit in downtown vs. West 7th to Magnolia since I have never had a reason to use it. I have ridden Molly the Trolley from the ITS station to Burnett Plaza, and also to Sundance Square at lunch, and it was very nice.
Thanks for the insight! That's basically in line with what my research has been telling me as well. It's definitely a tough choice.

Like I said, my main reason for the move is to be closer to my significant other, who lives in the Magnolia area. I really loved this area and I imagine that if I wanted to do anything in the evenings or the weekends, I'd likely be hanging out here, so the lack of things Downtown isn't too much of a detriment to me.

Also, thanks for the tips on walking/biking to Magnolia from Downtown. I will have a car and will likely drive most of the time, but I do like to have the option to get around by bus or bike once in a while.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:14 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
Thanks for the insight! That's basically in line with what my research has been telling me as well. It's definitely a tough choice.

Like I said, my main reason for the move is to be closer to my significant other, who lives in the Magnolia area. I really loved this area and I imagine that if I wanted to do anything in the evenings or the weekends, I'd likely be hanging out here, so the lack of things Downtown isn't too much of a detriment to me.

Also, thanks for the tips on walking/biking to Magnolia from Downtown. I will have a car and will likely drive most of the time, but I do like to have the option to get around by bus or bike once in a while.
Biking between DT and Fairmount/ Magnolia is simple. There are lots of bike lanes and it is one of the few parts of FW where you actually see cyclists regularly. Also: there is easy access from the Magnolia area to the Trinity trails at the corner of Mistletoe Dr. and W. Rosedale St. S. It is .5 mile to 1 mile depending which end of Magnolia you're located.

Also: DT sounds like a good option for you. Another would be just south of DT near Main St.. Take a look at googlemaps and you'll see all kinds of brew pubs, restaurants, cafes, bicycle rental shops, etc. This part of town is flourishing and there are many apartments available.

If proximity to the Trinity Trails is the most important factor for you, I'd ride/ run along the trail and take note of different apartment complexes along it. These include several in the area called "Left Bank" (one complex is called "Trinity at Left Bank") and then further southwest there are a few near Rogers Road (next to the Woodshed). You'd have the trails right outside your door.

Last edited by Campeador; 04-02-2020 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 04-02-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
Biking between DT and Fairmount/ Magnolia is simple. There are lots of bike lanes and it is one of the few parts of FW where you actually see cyclists regularly. Also: there is easy access from the Magnolia area to the Trinity trails at the corner of Mistletoe Dr. and W. Rosedale St. S. It is .5 mile to 1 mile depending which end of Magnolia you're located.
Thank you, I wasn't aware of trail access from Magnolia, so that is very helpful information!

Quote:
Also: DT sounds like a good option for you. Another would be just south of DT near Main St.. Take a look at googlemaps and you'll see all kinds of brew pubs, restaurants, cafes, bicycle rental shops, etc. This part of town is flourishing and there are many apartments available.
Yes, I actually loved this part of town as well! I think the only downside would be that it's so far from the Trinity Trails. Are there perhaps any other running trails in the area that I'm not aware of and might be overlooking?

Quote:
If proximity to the Trinity Trails is the most important factor for you, I'd ride/ run along the trail and take note of different apartment complexes along it. These include several in the area called "Left Bank" (one complex is called "Trinity at Left Bank") and then further southwest there are a few near Rogers Road (next to the Woodshed). You'd have the trails right outside your door.
Thanks. That seems like a great suggesiton, I will likely check out the trails the next time I have a chance.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:44 AM

656 posts, read 1,355,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
I'm considering a move to Fort Worth mainly beacuse my significant other currently lives in the Magnolia area. I'm currently living in Dallas (Oak Lawn, to be specific), so this wouldn't be a big move for me, but I thought it would be a fun excuse to explore more of Fort Worth and also be closer to the SO.

I'm currently leaning towards Downtown Fort Worth for the following reasons:
- Proximity to Trinity River Trails (this is very important to me)
- Walkable/urban lifestyle
- Best public transportation options
- Access to Magnolia area (seems easy to take the bus or bike to Magnolia from Downtown)
- Great TRE access which would make my occasional trips back to Dallas easy/fun

Honestly, I enjoy the Magnolia area the most and can see myself hanging out there a lot, but the fact that it doesn't have good access to the Trinity River trails makes it a deal breaker for me. West 7th looks like it has a lot going on and also has great trail access, but the public transportation options don't seem as good, and it seems slightly less convenient to Magnolia and Dallas.

Based on my criteria, is Downtown a good fit for me, and are there specific apartments you can recommend? I currently have my eye on the Historic Electric building, which seems like it's in a great location.
Are you looking for housing or apartments?

Old 04-03-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Are you looking for housing or apartments?
Definitely apartments. There's a small chance I'd be open to a condo, but seeing as how I'm not too familiar with the area, apartments is likely what I'll do.

Old 05-05-2020, 02:48 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I've been doing a bit more research, and I'm leaning more towards moving into the Montgomery Plaza.

Pros:
- Excellent proximity to trails
- Love the look of the building and the units. I've always wanted to live in a historic building exactly like this, and the amenities look spectacular
- Easy access to tons of restaurants/bars/etc. I still prefer the Magnolia area for restaurants/bars, but this is a rapidly growing part of town with tons to do.

Cons:
- Not as accessible to the TRE as living Downtown (still very accessible, so not too much of a con)

I'm still doing some research, but I'm feeling good about my decision. Initially, I wanted something super convenient to the TRE so that I can make convenient trips to Dallas, but I'm really not sure how often I'd realistically make use of that. Even if I wanted to, the West 7th area is still very convenient to the TRE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth