Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:48 PM

287 posts, read 504,051 times

Advertisements

Hi, please consider this a serious inquiry. I plan to leave my current abode(apartment) in Denver, and go to Dallas. I cannot afford a house hereon my $15 an hour truck driving job. I know enough to understand that Dallas and Fort Worth are two distinct areas and cities. I need directionin terms of where the better housing, in general, would be located.I want newer housing, built in 1998 or higher, for example. Are thereany smaller cities around or between DFW where I might be advised to look?Arlington, For example? I don't mind older housing, but it has to be in a quaint or charming neighborhood. I prefer newer housing because I am a first time buyer and don't know much about house maintenance, repairs, etc.I have studied markets everywhere, and it seems Dallas (and Houston) havethe best combination of quality houses in my price range ($110), and a strong economy. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 10:42 PM

68 posts, read 233,562 times
Default Areas to look in

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace View Post
Hi, please consider this a serious inquiry. I plan to leave my current abode(apartment) in Denver, and go to Dallas. I cannot afford a house hereon my $15 an hour truck driving job. I know enough to understand that Dallas and Fort Worth are two distinct areas and cities. I need directionin terms of where the better housing, in general, would be located.I want newer housing, built in 1998 or higher, for example. Are thereany smaller cities around or between DFW where I might be advised to look?Arlington, For example? I don't mind older housing, but it has to be in a quaint or charming neighborhood. I prefer newer housing because I am a first time buyer and don't know much about house maintenance, repairs, etc.I have studied markets everywhere, and it seems Dallas (and Houston) havethe best combination of quality houses in my price range ($110), and a strong economy. Thank you.
It is extremely hard but not impossible to find homee in that range. Areas close to Denton (north of Dallas and Ft. Worth) have small homes 1300 sq. ft. for around 115K. Also Anna, Melissa and Princeton (N&NE) from Dallas have similar ranges as Denton.

Moderator cut: real estate agent solicitations are not allowed in the forums

Last edited by da jammer; 04-01-2008 at 09:30 AM..

Old 04-01-2008, 10:34 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,289,100 times
No, it's not that hard to find homes in that range! Check out south Grand Prairie and south Arlington (in the areas south of I-20) as well as Mansfield which is nearby there. Tons of homes in that price range, brand new. My daughter and her husband bought a new one in south Arlington five years ago for $130k.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:13 AM

26 posts, read 166,628 times
Buying a home in this price range is not hard at all, especially now with the foreclosure rate. We just bought one valued at over $115k for under 100k. It is a newer home in an excellent subdivision. You mention no kids, so if that is not a concern, you might consider Benbrook, Saginaw and Watauga. They all have nice, older and quaint neighborhoods. I am not all too familiar with the Dallas County. Also, looks into townhomes. There are many newer ones in this area in your price range. If you will be traveling a lot, which I'm assuming with your job you will be, then you won't have a lot of the upkeep to worry about while gone (smaller yards, etc.)

Old 04-02-2008, 03:59 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,264,860 times
Well, I just did a search in the MLS for a basic 3-2-2 as in 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 car garage, up to 115K, built in 1998 or after in the DFW and came up with a little over 500 listings. About 75% of them are foreclosures or short sales which translate to needing work, sometimes simply cosmetic such as paint and carpet and sometimes it's a lot more extensive.

Here are some cities that popped: Cedar Hill, Desoto, Glenn Heights, Sanger, Argyle Krum, Mesquite, Little Elm, Providence, Savannah, Southeast Dallas, Fort Worth (particularly Harriet Creek close to Justin) and many many more. So yes they are all over.

Naima

Old 04-02-2008, 07:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
I understand that prices in this market are very competitive initially when compared to other areas but you have to factor in taxes, utilities, insurance, and upkeep---those aren't cheap--and they are likely to be on the increase--at least utilities and insurance...
do you have a job for this area?

how good is your credit rating--unless it is top-notch --you are going to be paying higher mortgage rate than the optimum one that is out there--and moving will mean a change in employers which can be a negative on mortgage application...

and you also need to consider resale in case you do have to sell the home in the future--

the reason that so many homes are on the market is not just the sub-prime crunch or people losing their jobs--some of these homes are just not that desireable--they are in marginal neighborhoods, have shoddy quality, and not much future appreciation in value...some of them have been on the market for a while--they are not all good deals.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:30 PM

287 posts, read 504,051 times
Amyund, I do not know where you get your information. I typed in my price range parameters, and got hundreds of newer built houses for sale.However, the ones that impressed me were in the Fort Wayne area, not the Dallas area.So maybe you were referring to Dallas when you made your statement. Thanks forall your inputs. ps... I would never want a town house. Single family resident only. I gave my notice today at work. I will be going to FW at the end of April.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:58 AM

341 posts, read 1,019,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1jean View Post
Also, looks into townhomes. There are many newer ones in this area in your price range.
New Townhomes ? What kind of square footage do they have ? This would be
in GP & Arlington near DFW airport ?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:12 PM

13 posts, read 105,109 times
Check out Watauga, TX. You can probably find a nice single story home with a pool for around $100,000. That's a pretty good town, close to 377 and 820.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:30 PM

107 posts, read 354,843 times
if you are looking for a home I would suggest this, purchase a new home, no worries!

go to craigslist and do a search... agents are giving buyer rebates on brand new homes and
i bet it has something to do with the market,

my agent gave up half of her commission. at first I was not sure but if you hire a real estate agent the BUILDER pays the agent and you have free professional advice plus money at closing

(I just got $5000 cash back from using an agent off of craigslist)

Fort Worth has alot of homes under $130, and builders are slashing prices like crazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth