Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 06:32 PM

3 posts, read 15,098 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We currently live in California, and are unfamiliar with Texas. We are very excited, my husband is taking a job transfer to Lockheed Martin in White Settlement. But we need help finding a nice, safe, low crime area to live in. My husband would prefer to have a drive to work of less then 30 miles away, and going against traffic would be great!

We have two children under the age of 8. We plan to rent a single family home, until we know exactly where we want to buy, assuming we fall in love with Texas.

Any help with good, and bad areas would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 08:19 PM

20 posts, read 70,587 times
we just moved here from maryland, were looking in haslet, from what ive seen anything most places seem nice once you get out of the city, ive heard some bad things about the city but thats just like every other city.
keller/haslet seems nice family oriented
heard southlake is kinda snooty but havent spent much time their to really tell if thats true.
we looked in rhome which is a little further north has a very country setting a little bit too much for my taste felt kinda lost just surrounded by fields.
thats all i found out so far like i said havent been here too long. hope it helps good luck

Old 03-25-2008, 08:28 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkyhands View Post
Hi All,

We currently live in California, and are unfamiliar with Texas. We are very excited, my husband is taking a job transfer to Lockheed Martin in White Settlement. But we need help finding a nice, safe, low crime area to live in. My husband would prefer to have a drive to work of less then 30 miles away, and going against traffic would be great!

We have two children under the age of 8. We plan to rent a single family home, until we know exactly where we want to buy, assuming we fall in love with Texas.

Any help with good, and bad areas would be greatly appreciated.
We just moved last year from Irvine CA to Keller TX. We really love Keller and so do our kids. They are older middle school and HS.

Where are you moving from and what are your expectations as far as a community, home?

Old 03-25-2008, 10:43 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,716 times
Hello - Really depends on how much you want to spend. Do you have an idea of a budget? I would recommend something north of 820 loop and just not having to deal with 35W going south in the mornings, you might try to stay west of it.

We moved from Sacramento to Fort Worth last January and my mom moved to Saginaw and we are just north of her in unincorporated Fort Worth in the Haslet area. Some other areas might be Marine Creek (again I don't know your budget or what you are looking for - the problem tends to be too much choice for us coming from CA), Eagle Mountain Lake area, Haslet (for more of 1/2 acre and up).

In this general area if he traveled south to 820 and then went west, he would be generally against traffic.

You may even want Weatherford as that is a 30 min commute into that side of Fort Worth. Weatherford is pretty self contained, but I am not that familiar with the traffic patterns.

I was talking with one of my hubby's coworkers that is planning on moving down here from Chicago and he was in the same position we were. Everything they liked back there they found that there was a price barrier to what they really wanted. You don't find that here. Its great that you are renting first so you can really get your bearings.

You will find that while this is nice here will be certain things you miss from CA, but all in all, I find the tradeoffs to be more than completely adequate. I know that for us, there is no way we could have here and the quality of life here that we have is so much better for our family.

Welcome to Texas!!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
anything in the Northwest ISD would be good. lots of smaller towns, but also includes Trophey club. good solid schools etc....

Keller is also a good choice.

Aledo is another one that is smaller and has a good school rep.

YOu really have alot of choices, what is your housing budget?? that may help narrow it down.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:48 AM

3 posts, read 15,098 times
We sat down and looked at a map last night and really decided to stay on the West/ North West side. We do not plan to buy at first, we really just want to rent and see, if we like Texas. We would love to rent a home for under $1,000 amount, but we can afford more if necessary. We are very excited for this new adventure we are about to embark on. Thank you to all who have responded to this post.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:20 PM

14 posts, read 51,377 times
Depending on your budget, cities with good schools and relative low crime rates are Southlake, Colleyville, parts of Keller, Grapevine, Flower Mound. There are many others, these are just the cities that come to mind right now. We have moved from Los Angeles in this area about a year now. We have a 5 year old son and we love it here.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,544 times
Ok stay away from Lake Worth area, alos any where by Las Veags Trail. These are both close to his work but bad areas. Go to Benbrook area which will be 15 miles away from job

Old 04-27-2008, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 31,942 times
I am also moving to Ft Worth to work in the LM plant. I am in the military and am being transferred in June. I've been looking around and I would suggest you look in the Keller (growing rapidly) or Aledo areas not quite as big but the commute for both areas are about the same and the schools are good. Houses are beautiful.

I am serving my last assignment there and my family is not following me as they are rooted here in Fl.

If you need a contact along the way let me know. I am going to Ft Worth in May for a meeting so let me know if there is something I can check out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth