Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 03:53 PM

150 posts, read 418,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedology View Post
Hello all,

Looking to possibly move to Texas and, after checking out some home costs near Dallas, I'm starting to think my $135k budget is not that reasonable.

My hope was to buy a home outright and not have a mortgage.

Just wondering if there are any zip codes in/near Forth Worth that you'd recommend or avoid?

A bit about me.

I'm a single 50-year-old male teacher from CA. No kids, no desires to start a family. Not into nightlife, so not into the party scene... just want to possibly find some work in a bookstore or Christian bookstore. Possibly a bank or library. Something not as stressful as teaching. After 22 years of teaching, I want a change.

Thanks for any advice!
Ted
Have you looked in Saginaw? We've enjoyed the area quite a bit over the past several years
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 02:39 PM

216 posts, read 280,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
For towns with good conveniences, some lower priced homes and an ok drive into the city (either Dal or FTW): Granbury, Weatherford, Godley, Waxahachie, Forney, Midlothian, Burleson, Benbrook, Azle, Rockwall, Mansfield,Rowlett, Sache, Providence, Double Oak

I would avoid Venus and some of the tiny places in the country where there are some fine developments surrounded by lots of junky places because there is some crime and drugs.

Towns with lots of conveniences for about 60-90 minutes from the city: Terrell, Canton, Waco, Greenville, Cleburne,
I would actually put Terrell about 30 mins from Dallas. Terrell would put him at around a 45 min drive from the main Watermark church location in Dallas.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:07 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
You might also consider smaller towns outside the Metroplex itself---
Places like Weatherford, Stephenville, Ennis,
Tyler for a smaller town has high RE prices
Area around Denton might work for you
There are churches and banks all over
Bookstores---those are shrinking in numbers but Denton because of the colleges and the lifestyle has quite a few

If you don't have family and are moving by yourself why come to this part of TX??
RE has become fairly expensive over the past 8 yrs with the surge in economy...

Old 01-12-2017, 08:59 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
I live in the Marine Creek area - off Boat Club and Old Decatur road. There are homes there, but few are at the 135k price point. We paid $153k a year ago for 1900 sq foot redo home on a corner lot. Love it, very quiet neighborhood.

If you are single, you might want to consider a condo - there are many in Fort Worth. The Tower downtown is a good spot, you can find one for 275k or so. Much cheaper, under 100K if you are not in the city center.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:03 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan inbody View Post
thanks, no kids just husband and I. This is so close to Camp Bowie Rd. Conveniences are great, but too close to busy street for safety issues?
I don't think you'll find a home for $135k anywhere near Camp Bowie. Even old homes are more than that.

I love this area, and if I hit the lotto, I'm moving there!

Old 01-12-2017, 01:50 PM

88 posts, read 130,415 times
Thank you all very much for taking the time to offer some input and some specific suggestions.

I'll be taking a trip to DFW area next month (February) so I'll need to take this list of towns and look around.

I also thought about checking out Burrelson (sp?) as well as Crawley. I do like Benbrook, so may need to check things out there in terms of housing costs.

I appreciate your help!
Ted

Old 01-12-2017, 03:26 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Burleson--
Not sure there is book store there
But retail has grown in past 8 yrs
Fairly conservative area like most small towns in Texas and many areas of larger ones...

Old 01-13-2017, 05:45 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
The closest bookstores to Benbrook are the Barnes & Noble and Half Price off of Hulen south of 20 in Fort Worth.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:16 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
While I wouldn't nessisarily want to discourage you from moving to North Texas, I have to ask, what in particular interests you about the area? The reason I ask is because while I know many californias think of Texas as a cheap place to live, it is more expensive than a lot of places outside the coasts.

The real advantages of DFW in my experience as a transplant is the economy and "big city amenities" such as professional sports teams and nightlife. Since those are little interest to you, you may get better bang for your buck in a cheaper state. One of my best friends lives in Tulsa, OK and it offers what you would be interested in at a lower price. Ditto for several other places such as my home town of Boise ID (and with a lower crime rate)

Again, not to discourage you, I'm confident you can find something in that price range in the metroplex, but I just want to offer you this perspective as well.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:41 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,484,640 times
I'd look at Crowley and Burleson as someone else has mentioned. Not 100% easy, but not crazy difficult either to fine $135K there for decent house. Won't be fancy, but decent I'd say.
I'd look at HEB area as well.....Hurst Euless Bedford....maybe Haltom City....although some people will tell you to stay out of Haltom City....Occasionally you'll find something in Watauga or Richland Hills.

I'd personally look at Saginaw or Lake Worth area.....probably like any city though if you draw a big circle around the main city...and then look on the outskirts the prices will be better as you go out away from the circle...so places like Mineral Wells, Decatur, Boyd, Ponder, etc may have a little better pricing if you don't have to live in the big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth